Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade for Added Companion who is non elite?

Old Aug 16, 19, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP

Quick Question: I have a flight this weekend to Mexico, and was able to get upgraded 4 days prior to Departure. After my upgrade was confirmed, I called AA and added my friends PRN to my itinerary so he can get on the upgrade list- 48 hours to departure only 4 out of the 12 seats are taken. I do not have to use 500 Mileage upgrade stickers because of my status - AND- I don't have any upgrade stickers because I don't earn any being EXP). My friend has 16 "stickers" available, but he lost his status and he's not even Gold.

Anyone have any idea how this works? Where on the upgrade priority he lands? Do I have to buy two "stickers" (The flight is 971 miles) since he's not an elite and they wont deduct 2 from his 16?

Thanks for any info- first time I am dealing with this situation.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:51 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
You'll need to have 2 stickers in your account or your friend will not be able to check-in (if they clear before T-24). Even for the gate upgrade, the stickers will need to come from your account.

Bottom line: you'll have to buy the stickers. However, you can wait until their upgrade clears before pulling the trigger.
MathMusic likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman View Post
You'll need to have 2 stickers in your account or your friend will not be able to check-in (if they clear before T-24). Even for the gate upgrade, the stickers will need to come from your account.

Bottom line: you'll have to buy the stickers. However, you can wait until their upgrade clears before pulling the trigger.

Thanks for this info- And I will know if his upgrade clears because he will get an email confirmation? Once he gets that email, just buy the sticker? Thanks for the quick reply.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:56 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz View Post
Thanks for this info- And I will know if his upgrade clears because he will get an email confirmation? Once he gets that email, just buy the sticker? Thanks for the quick reply.
He (and you) should get an email confirmation of the upgrade. However, I would also encourage you to check manually at the T-24 and T-4 windows as AA's IT can be unreliable where email is concerned. And once you've seen the upgrade has cleared, then buy the stickers.
get0ffdanutzz likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: