FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   DFW Flagship Lounge vs Centurion Lounge Comparison (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1983029-dfw-flagship-lounge-vs-centurion-lounge-comparison.html)

NCTraveler101 Aug 14, 2019 7:23 pm

DFW Flagship Lounge vs Centurion Lounge Comparison

Hi, have y’all found a good comparison of Flagship and Centurion lounges (new location)

BOSishome Aug 14, 2019 8:14 pm

I have both the Amex PLT and have been in the new FL when flying internationally...

My take...

Food: About the same-better in FL if you have FFD, maybe slightly better in Centurion for the “normal areas.”

Booze: Centurion Lounge... I personally prefer a good bar to the self serve liquor in the FL... But maybe that’s reflective of my bartending skills.

Seating: About the same, both can be crowded at peak times... I think the seats are more comfortable in the Centurion lounge but I think it’s generally busier too. One nice thing about the Centurion Lounge is that the lounge staff will come to your seat and ask if you want/need any food/drinks refills. Haven’t seen this in the FL.

Amenities: Both have showers, Centurion has the spa (but tough to get reservations).

Views: Better from the Flagship Lounge... View of the tarmac vs. view of check-in area.

just my $.02

enviroian Aug 14, 2019 8:16 pm

What's FFD?

tismfu Aug 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Flagship First Dining.

C17PSGR Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by BOSishome (Post 31417568)
I have both the Amex PLT and have been in the new FL when flying internationally...

My take...

Food: About the same-better in FL if you have FFD, maybe slightly better in Centurion for the “normal areas.”

Interesting. I haven't been in the new DFW FL yet -- but will be next week! But, I have been to the DFW Centurion lounge several times. Food seems to me to be pretty limited, in a tight place, and always has a line. I've been to the JFK, MIA, ORD, and LAX FL several times and IMHO they are far superior in food compared to the DFW or other Centurion lounges with more choices, lines are OK, etc. We all have differences of opinion but are you suggesting the DFW FL is a step down from JFK, MIA, ORD, and LAX?

BOSishome Aug 14, 2019 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 31417624)
Interesting. I haven't been in the new DFW FL yet -- but will be next week! But, I have been to the DFW Centurion lounge several times. Food seems to me to be pretty limited, in a tight place, and always has a line. I've been to the JFK, MIA, ORD, and LAX FL several times and IMHO they are far superior in food compared to the DFW or other Centurion lounges with more choices, lines are OK, etc. We all have differences of opinion but are you suggesting the DFW FL is a step down from JFK, MIA, ORD, and LAX?

I’ve never really run into “lines” at the Centurion Lounge... But maybe I’m just going at the right time as I’ve seen this same complaint elsewhere. I do agree that the double-sided buffet of the Flagship Lounge is nice but I think the quality is as good if not better at the Centurion Lounge.

Ive only ever been in the JFK Flagship Lounge otherwise and that was for breakfast so I can’t judbe.

Overall, I think both lounges far exceed other domestic US lounges and given that it’s a five minute walk between them, the OP should try both if they have adequate connection time!

enpremiere Aug 15, 2019 4:04 am

The views make the difference!

LINDEGR Aug 15, 2019 4:28 am

We just hit both this week and both me and my S/O liked the FL much better. AMEX was too crowded and while the food they had was quite good, the selection was severely limited. This always is the case with AMEX IMHO. I feel like AMEX is great when you want a full meal, but it's terrible when just in the mood for snacks.

We also liked the champagne/sparkling wine MUCH better at FL. We did not have access to FFD but if we did then it would have been night and day with AMEX based on my FFD experiences at LAX and JFK. For red wine, I'd say comparable but if forced to choose, I'd again go with FL.

Also, overheard that there is a secret champagne available for AMEX Black Card members. I wonder how it compares with the kind-of-crappy sparkler they were serving.

BobbySteel Aug 15, 2019 4:36 am

Originally Posted by LINDEGR (Post 31418330)
Also, overheard that there is a secret champagne available for AMEX Black Card members. I wonder how it compares with the kind-of-crappy sparkler they were serving.

It's usually a decent NV champagne like a Veuve. Not bad. Nothing too spectacular.

dave_261 Aug 15, 2019 6:20 am

In general terms, Flagship Lounges trump Centurion, but it depends on what you want. FL's don't have 'spas'... and some don't have staffed bars. But definitely more space and more abundant food.

To me, the space constraints of the Centurion lounges can be a real dealbreaker. I know they've been trying to solve this with entry rules and enlarging clubs, but it's still an issue many times.

I've never had a space issue at any of the FL's.

Catbert10 Aug 15, 2019 7:36 am

IMO, if both were relatively empty, I'd chose the Centurion Lounge over the FL. But the CL is rarely relatively empty. Being able to reliably find a place to sit is a big plus for the FL.

Smid Aug 15, 2019 7:50 am

I think the FL serves self pour genuine Champagne, and the Centurion lounge serves only Prosecco, unless you have a Centurion card. So if that's your thing, then FL seems the basic choice.

I prefer self pour, but it lacks the cocktails choice, you don't have equipment or range to make your own...

tfizzle Aug 15, 2019 9:11 am

If you are a cocktail person, then go to the centurion lounge, that is the only area that it beats the flagship lounge. Better yet, get your cocktail, finish it then go eat at the FL..

econometrics Aug 15, 2019 9:45 am

I've been in both recently. The FL wins hands-down for me.

The CL is narrow and crowded almost always. Even for a 10pm departure. The FL is airy and spacious. I find the food to be similar.

Where the FL really wins is the big cooler down by the bathrooms with tons of bottled (or boxed, Lol) sparkling and still water.

knownothing Aug 15, 2019 10:26 am

Always get a manacure or pedi at centurian