Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Enforcement Question: FAA Ban Overheating 15 Inch MacBook Pros

Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, AA AC

Hey DAArksiders,

Wanted to get your thoughts on AA's enforcement response to the FAA banning 15" MacBook Pros sold from 2015-17 that are potentially overheating due to battery issues. Apple is offering a free fix, so once fixed, how is AA going to know whether a particular lap top has been remedied. Cannot imagine that GAs/FA's are going to have a manifest to check individual serial numbers. Think it will be a blanket ban on them or admonition just not to use them during flight or perhaps something altogether different? Any thoughts or similar experiences would be welcomed!

TIA and Safe Travels
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I imagine it will be a blanket ban similar to the Samsung issue.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
This is what the FAA website says:

"If a product that is dangerous goods or that contains a dangerous goods component (e.g., battery) is subject to a safety recall related to the dangerous goods, it must not be carried aboard an aircraft or in baggage unless the recalled product/component has been replaced or repaired or otherwise made safe per manufacturer/vendor instructions. The FAA and your airline may offer further public guidance on individual recalled products."

I would carry the repair receipt with you to present if there are questions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.