Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
One of their prohibitions is

any good, service, or content that violates the law or legal rights of others
Would that cover AA miles and upgrades?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:01 pm

I'm puzzled after reading the last several pages.

Did the OP's aunt rat him out to AA? (for example, accidentally telling the check-in agent "I bought the miles for this ticket from my nephew" or something like that?"
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17
But why would you buy so many miles without having a know use for them first (i.e. multiple awards on hold)? That makes literally no sense to burn thousands of dollars buying miles when you don't even have a plan of how to use them. For as much money you spent buying miles, you could've just bought the tickets you wanted. Not sure who's giving you advice on such matters but it's time to make new friends.
Well, I saw this blog, and they were saying it was the BEST RATE EVER for buying miles. Expiring tonight, at midnight! Don't think, just buy!

What do you think I did? I was like any other logical American consumer!
GUWonder and no1cub17 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
The issue has nothing to do with the OP’s aunt. One can gift award tickets to anyone. But if AA contacted Auntie, inquired and was told “I reimbursed / paid him...” it’s game over.
Is there a scenario under which Auntie would be penalized by AA as well? Or is it solely on the seller? Anyone ever heard of such a case?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
The OP was caught red handed. A lot of people seem confused as to how AA found out. They have automated web crawler software that scrapes data from websites. Of course they're going to scrape data from Craigslist. Once AA has the information, it's probably analyzed by a human to determine if it can be easily linked to a FF account. In this case, it was. Easily. In this modern age, there's nothing that you do on the internet that is private. https://www.octoparse.com/blog/top-2...cting-web-data
Does AA scrape this website for data? Does a bear s___ in the woods?

The OP needs to write a very apologetic letter claiming ignorance over his attempt to sell miles. He can opt to explain that the woman is his aunt, but I doubt that's important to them. It's a costly mistake, but the OP should be happy that this didn't result in a lifetime ban.
JDiver and GUWonder like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by seat38a
I'm guessing that AA and other airlines have some agreement worked out with Craigslist to find and report such posting. I highly doubt that someone at AA is sitting around trying to contact people who post on CL. Most likely they flag the post and have some sort of ability or agreement to get the posters email/contact information directly. Either that or Craigslist could be sending a daily list directly to AA's relevant department.
Where were you when an anonymous AA employee with the requisite posts and time brought down the wrath of AAdvantage on members here for various trades etc. on The Coupon Connection?

Originally Posted by AA100k

Is there a scenario under which Auntie would be penalized by AA as well? Or is it solely on the seller? Anyone ever heard of such a case?
Yep. Invalidation of ticket or pay current available fare to fly.
wrp96 and AA100k like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
The OP was caught red handed. A lot of people seem confused as to how AA found out. They have automated web crawler software that scrapes data from websites. Of course they're going to scrape data from Craigslist. Once AA has the information, it's probably analyzed by a human to determine if it can be easily linked to a FF account. In this case, it was. Easily. In this modern age, there's nothing that you do on the internet that is private. https://www.octoparse.com/blog/top-2...cting-web-data
Does AA scrape this website for data? Does a bear s___ in the woods?

The OP needs to write a very apologetic letter claiming ignorance over his attempt to sell miles. He can opt to explain that the woman is his aunt, but I doubt that's important to them. It's a costly mistake, but the OP should be happy that this didn't result in a lifetime ban.
I'm skeptical to say the least... there was no way for the OP or anyone else to purchase 300k or 450k AA mile within one year.. or am I wrong about that? or... if it was possible, who in their right mind would spend thousands of dollars to make such a purchase?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by MarkCron
less than 150k ( the non for sale miles) is really irrelevant; would he be happier if AA took all his miles (which they have every right to do)?
sorry - maybe I wasn’t clear.

My comment was in relation to posts saying that the aunts ticket was irreverent and that the fine was related to the sale (or attempted same) on CL.

I was suggesting that if that was the case, and aunts ticket was less than 150,000 miles, I dont understand why it was cancelled.

I understand AA were within their rights to take all miles - but they didn’t. So why take 300,000 of their 450,000 miles and still cancel a ticket that OP had enough miles left to purchase.......unless they do believe that aunts ticket was fraudulent..... which in turn, begs the question as to why they didn’t take all the miles - the 300,000 for the attempted sale and whatever aunts ticket cost.

Or or am I missing something?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kchanbeki
..If AA does not provide any solid evidence that you were the person who put up the miles for sale on CL other than that phone number, and you can provide evidence that you booked for your aunt, you can sue them in small claims court, and get the money you paid for the miles back.
Wrong.
dickinson and diburning like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Folks, it does not matter if the lady for whom the award ticket was purchased was his aunt, mother, sister, best friend, boss or total stranger.

It is perfectly possible for a person to : (ETA: and violate the terms and conditions, which I do not advocate)

1. Give an award ticket to a non-relative (ETA#2: OK)
2. Sell/barter/trade an award ticket to a non-relative (ETA#2: Not OK)
3. Give an award ticket to a relative (ETA#2: OK)
4. Sell/barter/trade an award ticket to a relative (ETA#2: Not OK)

No one cares if the woman was really the OP's aunt. They care that miles were advertised for sale, and they came down hard to discourage repeat offences.
GUWonder, carlosdca and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Aug 15, 2019 at 11:09 am Reason: Clarification#2
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Folks - it doesn't matter how AA found out. Fact is OP was violating AA's terms of service and got caught. End of story.

I am sure AA Corporate Security is a lot more sophisticated that some of the posts in this thread suggest.
IAHtraveler, wrp96 and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
One of their prohibitions is

Would that cover AA miles and upgrades?
Without a doubt it's covered.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:40 pm

I learned something today. I assumed I could give my miles away to a charity silent auction and let the charity keep the profits. I never knew that was against the T&C. Guess I'll use them all for my friends and me :-)
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
I learned something today. I assumed I could give my miles away to a charity silent auction and let the charity keep the profits. I never knew that was against the T&C. Guess I'll use them all for my friends and me :-)
Correct.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
AA does have a scheme for donating miles to charities they support.
ETA: after a quick search it may just be that they will give you miles if you donate money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.