Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Penalty for Selling My AA Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by deeruck
Interesting. Had not considered that AA would contact the recipient, but of course that's a possibility.
Could it be that AA did in fact contact the recipient and then it was determined that the recipient either purchased the miles from CL or that she paid the OP for the ticket? Sounds very likely.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by JDiver
The issue has nothing to do with the OP’s aunt. One can gift award tickets to anyone. But if AA contacted Auntie, inquired and was told “I reimbursed / paid him...” it’s game over.
Just to clarify if the aunt said 'yes I paid him the $37.47 for the taxes and fees' (and that indeed was the actual amount) would that be OK or would that still be verboten?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Does AA fraud department have "compassion"?
I will leave that to JonNYC to answer but it seems to me that if the OP was not asked to proof that the aunt is real, then AA already has decided they don't care about that.
I think AA saw that someone brought a huge number of miles then suddenly booked a ticket for someone that may have not had a clear family relationship. I think these two acts in combination would draw security. With different last names and addresses (I assume) AA would not know there was a family relationship. Add in the fact that AA was likely initially looking at the account due to a Craigslist posting and you understand why AA cancelled the ticket and took away a large chunk of miles. The best thing the OP can do is come clean and provide some kind of proof that the ticket was given free of monetary exchange to his Aunt. What kind of proof AA would demand IDK.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If you place an add on Craig's List, wouldn't you need to leave a contact number or email address for a prospective purchaser to contact you? Both of those could easily be matched to an account in AA's database. The account could then be flagged to alert any susequent redemption/mile purchase activity.

If the connection between the seller & purchaser is done anonymously through Craig's List back-end, the purchaser could be an AA agent and gather the required information for identity.

It wouldn't surprise me if AA has scanning software for websites that bring private sellers & buyers together.

James
Email through Craigslist is anonymous, at least until you start communicating and IT professionals can start tracking the mail headers. Phone number is a good point though, lots of people put that in for texts. I was thinking that a potential buyer would want proof of the miles, which would give the evidence needed, and is why I asked if there were any bites -- if so maybe they were Secret AAgents.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rocketsingh
I am going to contest the email and prove she is my aunt.
I did post the AD on CL and had people reach out to me but no sale ever went thru.
My ad on CL stated 300K miles for sale, because I had more and I was struggling to get tickets for my travel so I deiced to see if I can sell and get my money back for what I paid for. I know they linked me thru my number because my ad did have my number posted and then with the timing me booking a ticket for my aunt for next year just collided thinking I sold my miles
But why would you buy so many miles without having a know use for them first (i.e. multiple awards on hold)? That makes literally no sense to burn thousands of dollars buying miles when you don't even have a plan of how to use them. For as much money you spent buying miles, you could've just bought the tickets you wanted. Not sure who's giving you advice on such matters but it's time to make new friends.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
A couple of decades ago, before airlines required ID when flying, I had a multi-segment business trip booked by my company. Something came up, and the company decided I needed to stay in the office, and they sent a colleague in my place. The ticket was discounted, so it was not refundable. Without my knowledge, the company simply gave my tickets (with my AA number) to my colleague, and he flew under my name. On his segment home, he wanted to change flights. He never traveled with cash, so he presented his credit card for the change fee. The gate agent noticed the names were different, then seized the ticket and made some threats. He had to buy a new ticket.

He came home and told me the story, which unnerved me, to say the least. I received a letter from AA, informing me that it was a violation, but no no penalties were assessed - just warned never to do it again. They did revoke the miles awarded for that trip, which was fair.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:32 am

Couple of observations.

OP states that they had 450,000 miles and they were “fined” 300,000 miles....... so if this is in fact related to the offer of sale on CL, then my question is:

How many miles did your aunts ticket cost?

if less the 150,000 miles, why was it cancelled?

I can only assume because they think the aunt is in fact a party to the fraud..... in which case the two events are linked.
chitink likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
A couple of decades ago, before airlines required ID when flying, I had a multi-segment business trip booked by my company. Something came up, and the company decided I needed to stay in the office, and they sent a colleague in my place. The ticket was discounted, so it was not refundable. Without my knowledge, the company simply gave my tickets (with my AA number) to my colleague, and he flew under my name. On his segment home, he wanted to change flights. He never traveled with cash, so he presented his credit card for the change fee. The gate agent noticed the names were different, then seized the ticket and made some threats. He had to buy a new ticket.

He came home and told me the story, which unnerved me, to say the least. I received a letter from AA, informing me that it was a violation, but no no penalties were assessed - just warned never to do it again. They did revoke the miles awarded for that trip, which was fair.
Also, a couple of decades ago, there was no craiglist.
Miles redemption had to be done over the phone.
Anybody could go all the way to the gate, with or without ticket.
And, there was a time when stickers were actually stickers.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
I'm guessing that AA and other airlines have some agreement worked out with Craigslist to find and report such posting. I highly doubt that someone at AA is sitting around trying to contact people who post on CL. Most likely they flag the post and have some sort of ability or agreement to get the posters email/contact information directly. Either that or Craigslist could be sending a daily list directly to AA's relevant department.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by seat38a
I'm guessing that AA and other airlines have some agreement worked out with Craigslist to find and report such posting. I highly doubt that someone at AA is sitting around trying to contact people who post on CL. Most likely they flag the post and have some sort of ability or agreement to get the posters email/contact information directly. Either that or Craigslist could be sending a daily list directly to AA's relevant department.
Really? I would think it's safer to assume that AA actively monitors CL, reddit, FT, any other social platform. AA's fraud prevention folks certainly aren't passive when it comes to enforcing the rules.
JDiver, GUWonder, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:58 am
Suspended

.. I highly doubt that someone at AA is sitting around trying to contact people who post on CL.
They do. Routinely.
JDiver, wrp96, Often1 and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by Hawes7701
Couple of observations.

OP states that they had 450,000 miles and they were “fined” 300,000 miles....... so if this is in fact related to the offer of sale on CL, then my question is:

How many miles did your aunts ticket cost?

if less the 150,000 miles, why was it cancelled?

I can only assume because they think the aunt is in fact a party to the fraud..... in which case the two events are linked.
less than 150k ( the non for sale miles) is really irrelevant; would he be happier if AA took all his miles (which they have every right to do)?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I should think that doing so would violate the Craigslist privacy policy:

"Circumstances in which we may disclose user data:
  • to vendors and service providers (e.g. payment processors) working on our behalf.
  • to respond to subpoenas, search warrants, court orders, or other legal process.
  • to protect our rights, property, or safety, or that of users of CL or the general public.
  • with your consent (e.g. if you authorize us to share data with other users).
  • in connection with a merger, bankruptcy, or sale/transfer of assets.
  • in aggregate/summary form, where it cannot reasonably be used to identify you."
https://www.craigslist.org/about/privacy.policy
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by guv1976
I should think that doing so would violate the Craigslist privacy policy:

"Circumstances in which we may disclose user data:
  • to vendors and service providers (e.g. payment processors) working on our behalf.
  • to respond to subpoenas, search warrants, court orders, or other legal process.
  • to protect our rights, property, or safety, or that of users of CL or the general public.
  • with your consent (e.g. if you authorize us to share data with other users).
  • in connection with a merger, bankruptcy, or sale/transfer of assets.
  • in aggregate/summary form, where it cannot reasonably be used to identify you."
https://www.craigslist.org/about/privacy.policy
Bullet #3 clearly covers AA and any other property or rights holder.
seat38a likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Bullet #3 clearly covers AA and any other property or rights holder.
Maybe. But if Craigslist were cooperating with airlines about ads offering frequent-flyer miles, wouldn't you expect Craigslist to have a policy prohibiting such ads in the first place?
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.