FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Aadvantage credited my flight without my consent (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1982879-aadvantage-credited-my-flight-without-my-consent.html)

dval44 Aug 13, 2019 8:04 pm

Aadvantage credited my flight without my consent

I booked an int’l F class ticket on a mix of Cathay and AA via the AA website. I believe while I was signed in when I booked.

A few weeks before the flight, I called and asked for my AA# to be removed. They said they did it for me. I was pondering Alaska so just left it blank.

Sure enough, the reservation disappeared from my AA account and all indications were that then number was removed.

I flew the route (Cathay F HKG-HND, AA F HND-LAX) with no ff# attached to the res. Or so I thought.

About a week after landing I made up my mind that I would credit to Alaska. So I filled out the form and turned in the documents.

Got a response from Alaska, “sorry, no can do. Flight has already been credit to your aadvantage account.”

Confused, I logged in. Sure enough, the Cathay flight was credited to my aa (but ONLY the Cathay flight and not the other leg).

So so what do I do? This is a substantial problem for me as there is a huge discrepancy in miles. Will AA un-credit a flight?

My best guess is that the res was originally all under my AA#, and when I called to remove it, they only did it for the AA flights and didn’t know how/weren’t able to remove it from the Cathay segment. Any ideas?

thanks

dval44 Aug 13, 2019 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by dval44 (Post 31413627)
I booked an int’l F class ticket on a mix of Cathay and AA via the AA website. I believe while I was signed in when I booked.

A few weeks before the flight, I called and asked for my AA# to be removed. They said they did it for me. I was pondering Alaska so just left it blank.

Sure enough, the reservation disappeared from my AA account and all indications were that then number was removed.

I flew the route (Cathay F HKG-HND, AA F HND-LAX) with no ff# attached to the res. Or so I thought.

About a week after landing I made up my mind that I would credit to Alaska. So I filled out the form and turned in the documents.

Got a response from Alaska, “sorry, no can do. Flight has already been credit to your aadvantage account.”

Confused, I logged in. Sure enough, the Cathay flight was credited to my aa (but ONLY the Cathay flight and not the other leg).

So so what do I do? This is a substantial problem for me as there is a huge discrepancy in miles. Will AA un-credit a flight?

My best guess is that the res was originally all under my AA#, and when I called to remove it, they only did it for the AA flights and didn’t know how/weren’t able to remove it from the Cathay segment. Any ideas?

thanks

tldr: bought a cash ticket for international first on Cathay and American. After I booked online, called to remove my ff# so I could credit Alaska. Now, I can’t credit Alaska because AA credited to AA against my wishes. But they only credited the 1 of the 2 segments, which was on Cathay.

Thanks

Dave Noble Aug 13, 2019 8:33 pm

You can phone AAdvantage Customer service and ask if it will remove the credit. If the agent says yes, then you are sorted - if the agent says not, then you wo will need to accept them in your AA account

JJeffrey Aug 14, 2019 5:10 am

And by AAdvantage Customer Service, call 800-882-8880, do not call the normal reservations number.

rbAA Aug 14, 2019 5:41 am

I had (think still have) a similar problem as I credit my AA international segments to AS and the domestic ones to AA. Though my AS number was on the BP's for the HKG-LAX-HKG segments, they credited to AA. CS was able to remove them from my AA account, but on AS they show as "Declined: passenger not found on flight." Emailed AS CS my BP's and copy of eTicket. Waiting still 6 weeks later. AA doesn't seem to want to make it easy unless you just want their worthless, devalued miles. I've been told by a number of AA agents, phone and at airport, they can't split the segments, or can't insert an AS number, or other excuses.

USFlyerUS Aug 14, 2019 7:20 am

If you want to credit different segments to different carriers, I've found the best way to do that is have the gate agent change it at each connection point right before the flight. Then, make sure the boarding pass reflects the program you want it to reflect.

jcatman Aug 14, 2019 7:54 am

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS (Post 31414916)
If you want to credit different segments to different carriers, I've found the best way to do that is have the gate agent change it at each connection point right before the flight. Then, make sure the boarding pass reflects the program you want it to reflect.

This is an effective strategy, although there are times you make this request before an American Eagle flight, and the gate agent has no idea what to do.

mvoight Aug 14, 2019 7:57 am

Originally Posted by dval44 (Post 31413646)

tldr: bought a cash ticket for international first on Cathay and American. After I booked online, called to remove my ff# so I could credit Alaska. Now, I can’t credit Alaska because AA credited to AA against my wishes. But they only credited the 1 of the 2 segments, which was on Cathay.

Thanks

It sounds like the number was removed from the AA segment, but not the Cathay one, possibly due to human error or a technical one.
Have you contact Cathay about it?

RGS5526 Aug 14, 2019 8:45 am

Alaska is not a OW member, although it has some form of partnership with some OW members, including AA and BA, in some areas. Is it possible that there is no such partnership arrangement between Alaska and Cathay, and as a consequence it is not possible to credit flights on Cathay iron to the Alaska programme? That could explain why the attempt to switch the FF number for the Cathay leg failed.

guv1976 Aug 14, 2019 10:10 am

Originally Posted by RGS5526 (Post 31415253)
Alaska is not a OW member, although it has some form of partnership with some OW members, including AA and BA, in some areas. Is it possible that there is no such partnership arrangement between Alaska and Cathay, and as a consequence it is not possible to credit flights on Cathay iron to the Alaska programme? That could explain why the attempt to switch the FF number for the Cathay leg failed.

Flights on CX can be credited to an AS account:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...cathay-pacific

dval44 Aug 14, 2019 11:45 am

Thanks everyone.

I was not trying to "mix" credits, I just wanted to fly with a "blank" ticket so I could decide after I flew.

My best guess is that there was some sort of tech/human error with removing the FF# from the CX codeshare, as @mvoight said above.

I called AAdvantage and they removed the credit.

Now, I'm trying to get Alaska to add it. I'll let you know how that goes.

To make matters slightly more complicated, I did not fly the final domestic segment of the flight. So that might present yet another challenge.

It was a cheap first class longhaul ticket, so AA would give me peanuts based on cost, whereas Alaska would give me tons of miles based on distance flown.

Will report back. Thank you!

flyerCO Aug 21, 2019 4:24 am

Codeshares generate PNRs in both the operating and marketing carrier systems. When you add a FF it is sent to the operating carrier. However when you remove it, it doesn't remove it from operating carrier system. It'll be in their system till someone removes it from it. Found this out on recent mixed AY/AA trip.