Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgraded, seated, downgrade to original seat - ?

Upgraded, seated, downgrade to original seat - ?

Old Aug 12, 19, 3:44 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,642
Upgraded, seated, downgrade to original seat - ?

Then an agent comes just before departure and simply says go back to your original seat.
Without any explanation. Is there anything you could do about this?
best is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:44 pm
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 5,642
Is this proper: after being upgraded, receiving boarding pass seating in new seat?

Then an agent comes just before departure and simply says go back to your original seat.
Without any explanation. Is there anything you could do about this?
best is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:54 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 21,681
Originally Posted by best View Post
Then an agent comes just before departure and simply says go back to your original seat.
Without any explanation. Is there anything you could do about this?
Iím not following you. You were upgraded and sat in your new seat then a gate agent came on board and told you to return to your original seat

Or

She came on board and handed you a new BP reflecting F?
enviroian is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:58 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: HSV (formerly AUS)
Programs: AA PLT, AA MM (like it matters!)
Posts: 205
Cue the theme song from the old Saturday morning game show "Shenanigans".

I would handle it this way.

If I've been given a boarding pass for the upgraded seat, I would politely decline to move back to the original seat until and unless the agent gave me a boarding pass for the original seat. I would answer ANYTHING the agent said, up until they handed me the new boarding pass, with "I'm sorry, I don't understand. My boarding pass says that I am in the correct seat." And then SHUT UP.
zarkov505 is offline  
Old Aug 12, 19, 6:06 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SNA
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 9,050
who sat in the F seat? When were you upgraded, gate or before? Could be they gave you a late arriving pax's seat thinking he wouldn't make the connection but then he did make it. Also when in the process did the GA ask you to move back, was it before/after T-10?
ryan182 is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 5:56 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Programs: AAdvantage PP
Posts: 13,477
We need more information but it sounds like the GA upgraded this pax on the belief there was a no show and as the flight was being ready to close the no show pax showed up fully expecting to sit in their F seat. The GA in a hurry to get the door closed didn't want to spend the time to print a new BP or explain the situation. OP, were you upgraded at the gate?
MiamiAirport Formerly NY George is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 6:34 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lewisville, TX USA
Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Dia; Bonvoy Amb; Hertz PC; National EE; AXP Plat; Chase CSR; Citi Prestige; WDW Passh
Posts: 777
This has happened to me twice, both times ex-LAX. GA comes on the plane, hands me a BP for F. Then some minutes later, both times within T-10, the GA told me to go back to my original seat.

The first time I protested and said it was within T-10 and the late arriver should either be denied boarding or told to take my original seat, but the GA wasn't having it. So I just made the walk of shame back to Y. I did not move my belongings from the F overhead bin though. So I sure showed them!

The second time, I didn't bother to protest. I just got up and moved.
chitink likes this.
lbbzman is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:07 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 20,413
Originally Posted by zarkov505 View Post
Cue the theme song from the old Saturday morning game show "Shenanigans".

I would handle it this way.

If I've been given a boarding pass for the upgraded seat, I would politely decline to move back to the original seat until and unless the agent gave me a boarding pass for the original seat. I would answer ANYTHING the agent said, up until they handed me the new boarding pass, with "I'm sorry, I don't understand. My boarding pass says that I am in the correct seat." And then SHUT UP.
Why Shenanigans? The most likely case is the person originally assigned to that seat showed up, possibly due to a missed connection, for which AA is at fault, or there was some other reason to not deny boarding after T-10. If it was shenanigans the OP would have never gotten the seat in the first place.
mvoight is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:10 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca., USA
Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Posts: 6,479
Issue is compounded when you give up a great seat for the upgrade and donít get it back.

its been a broken seat in F that has caused the issue with me.
deeruck likes this.

Last edited by beachfan; Aug 13, 19 at 8:58 am
beachfan is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:28 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 24,286
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
Issue is when you give up a great seat for the upgrade and donít get it back.
Yup, although the post here seems to suggest OP went back to "original seat."

Also, who wants to have to fight to get the stickers back? That would be the reason to demand the GA at least re-print the boarding pass with the coach seat.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:32 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: West Palm Beach
Programs: Free Agent
Posts: 750
Were you there long enough to get a PDB?
PBIGuy is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:23 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 635
TPG had a "victory" story (for lack of a better decsriptor) written one of their bloggers recently where they whined and complained to the GA that they were skpped over for an upgrade, and the GA had the upgraded pax downgraded and re-seated back in Y. The whiner blogger then took the F seat they felt entitled to. I wonder if this was you?

EDIT: I'm not calling you the whiner.
nancypants likes this.
gmt4 is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:45 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 20,413
Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
TPG had a "victory" story (for lack of a better decsriptor) written one of their bloggers recently where they whined and complained to the GA that they were skpped over for an upgrade, and the GA had the upgraded pax downgraded and re-seated back in Y. The whiner blogger then took the F seat they felt entitled to. I wonder if this was you?

EDIT: I'm not calling you the whiner.
If they were improperly skipped over, they should complain.
In the OP's case, it sounds like the original occupier showed up late and got his seat back
enpremiere, chitink and Antarius like this.
mvoight is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 12:46 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: The FT AA forum, until it no longer wants me.
Programs: CK or bust
Posts: 1,554
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
If they were improperly skipped over, they should complain.
In the OP's case, it sounds like the original occupier showed up late and got his seat back
Which is an interesting case because the line I'm used to hearing follows something along the lines of "you didn't show up when we called your name so therefore we gave your upgrade away...."
ijgordon and gmt4 like this.
enpremiere is offline  
Old Aug 13, 19, 1:32 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 6,435
Originally Posted by enpremiere View Post
Which is an interesting case because the line I'm used to hearing follows something along the lines of "you didn't show up when we called your name so therefore we gave your upgrade away...."
Or you were there, but they butchered your name so badly that it was incomprehensible.
deeruck likes this.
Antarius is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: