Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgraded, seated, downgrade to original seat - ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgraded, seated, downgrade to original seat - ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite
You'd probably get more sympathy if you were bumped to a J (business lie-flat) on an international long-haul and then sent back. Man, that would really suck!
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by acoburn73
You'd probably get more sympathy if you were bumped to a J (business lie-flat) on an international long-haul and then sent back. Man, that would really suck!
Sympathy from whom? I was bumped from a gate-upgrade from PE to J on a 789 and the alleged original passenger showed up late after coach had boarded. The GA handed me my boarding pass with the J seat crossed out by hand and wrote in a bulkhead MC seat. He cowardly hid and never returned even after the FA's paged him, only relaying by phone that I could take a luckily free PE seat.

Of course I didn't get my SWU back so had to contact AA after the fact to get it back, as well as a goodwill voucher.
GrumpyYoungMan and acoburn73 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite
The sympathy part was just a light-hearted joke to the OP.

You now have my sympathy! Getting ready to relax with your pre-take off champagne, only to be sent back to cattle, would be painful.
flightrisk likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:44 pm

AA improperly released my F seat one day DFW-BOS and gave it to an upgrade.
I was local and there were some delays and the Admirals Club inadvertently cancelled my booking after issuing the boarding pass.
Once at the gate, I was told since Dr. Dao they never took away a seat once someone boarded even if an upgrade was granted at the gate and the full fare customer was then present.
Clearly this is dependent on who is working the flight.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA PPro
I did this once to someone. I'm EXP flying from BNE to LAX on Qantas and then to PDX and when I got to the gate, my name was not on the upgrade list. I asked it be put on and it was the middle of boarding. they removed the guy from the seat and gave me a F boarding pass. they asked me to wait until he was properly seated. AA made a mistake and then corrected it which I appreciated.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by mvoight
If they were improperly skipped over, they should complain. In the OP's case, it sounds like the original occupier showed up late and got his seat back
Due to a late first segment, I was protected and re-booked on the next flight out at ORD. After a mad dash, I showed up at my original flight and caught it, however, my upgrade was already given away. I simply went to my economy seat was was just fine.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: DL, HH, Bonvoy
LAX > PHX yesterday, this situation happened for a passenger in 1D - he was apparently upgraded but 2A and 2C were broken and so they had a paying passenger who needed a seat, so they bumped him back. Haven't seen that in person before.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X
LAX > PHX yesterday, this situation happened for a passenger in 1D - he was apparently upgraded but 2A and 2C were broken and so they had a paying passenger who needed a seat, so they bumped him back. Haven't seen that in person before.
If I was the paying customer and my seat was broken I would prefer that an upgrade was revoked instead of having to go back to Y.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X
I've seen this happen. The old US/HP policy was to bump the last one upgraded back to coach. My seat in F was broken once PHX-DCA. They bumped someone else back to coach (he wasn't happy) so I could take his seat.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: CK or bust
Without a voucher in hand, a bumpee already seated in the bumper's seat is almost never going to be happy this scenario.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Which is an interesting case because the line I'm used to hearing follows something along the lines of "you didn't show up when we called your name so therefore we gave your upgrade away...."
Yes, but I suspect the late passenger was not on an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.