Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No AAdvantage miles for AA metal, IB ticket stock and AY code, Q class

Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Back in June I flew CLT-BCN-ORD in Q class on AA metal, Iberia ticket stock and Finnair flight number. My boarding pass had my AAdvantage number on it. The miles posted for CLT-BCN after about 2 weeks but I never got them for BCN-ORD. A request to AA for the miles resulted in their request for the boarding pass "since AA was not the operating carrier". Of course I do not have the boarding pass.

Any way around this or should I just let the miles go?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
So ... you were essentially on a Finnair flight flying on a Q class ticket?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With Oneworld the marketing carrier determines ff earnings, if an eligible operating fight. AA is an eligible OW operating carrier for an AY marketed flight.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...es/finnair.jsp
https://www.wheretocredit.com/finnair/q

Try again
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Without the boarding pass, you’re probably out of luck; I assume you submitted the ticket number already online?
The airlines generally recommend you keep boarding passes until miles have posted. @:-)

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...aqs.jsp#miles1
How do I get mileage credit?
Include your AAdvantage number when you book or shop with AAdvantage partners. It’s also helpful to keep your receipts and boarding passes until you see the credit on your account
JDiver and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All of the ticket numbers etc are quite irrelevent - the only thing that matters here is that AA wants a copy of the boarding pass for a mileage claim

If you didn't keep the boarding pass, then you are likely out of luck and should just expect to miss out on the 1105 miles that would have been earned
JDiver and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by rrapynot
Back in June I flew CLT-BCN-ORD in Q class on AA metal, Iberia ticket stock and Finnair flight number. My boarding pass had my AAdvantage number on it. The miles posted for CLT-BCN after about 2 weeks but I never got them for BCN-ORD. A request to AA for the miles resulted in their request for the boarding pass "since AA was not the operating carrier". Of course I do not have the boarding pass.

Any way around this or should I just let the miles go?
So AA denies that they operated the BCN-ORD flight in question? Sounds like a factual issue about the flight itself, and if you resolve that, maybe things move forward?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Keeping a boarding pass until the miles post is Frequent Flyer 101 type stuff...
javabytes and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:54 pm

Call ACS and ask if they can pull the ticket number and see if the segments are in a used state. That would prove that u tool the segments.

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
So AA denies that they operated the BCN-ORD flight in question? Sounds like a factual issue about the flight itself, and if you resolve that, maybe things move forward?
salut0 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by 777lover
Call ACS and ask if they can pull the ticket number and see if the segments are in a used state. That would prove that u tool the segments.
I cannot see it likely that AA would be able to access an IB ticket and determine the status of a coupon for travel on AY

Looking at the flights from BCN to ORD

American operates 1 flight AA 41 which also has a codeshare of AY 5805

If I understand correctly

OP purchased a ticket from Iberia and was booked on AY 5805

AA's response that it wasn't the operating carrier is incorrect, but it was not the marketing carrier. The marketing carrier is responsible for passing details of flight earnings to AA for AAdvantage credit

This has not happened. It is normal to be asked for boarding passes to substantiate mileage claims from a partner; that it was an AA operated flight isnt relevant ; keeping boarding passes until flights have credited is a good idea. With online check in options and ability to get boarding passes emailed, it is a really easy thing to do these days
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I cannot see it likely that AA would be able to access an IB ticket and determine the status of a coupon for travel on AY

Looking at the flights from BCN to ORD

American operates 1 flight AA 41 which also has a codeshare of AY 5805

If I understand correctly

OP purchased a ticket from Iberia and was booked on AY 5805

AA's response that it wasn't the operating carrier is incorrect, but it was not the marketing carrier. The marketing carrier is responsible for passing details of flight earnings to AA for AAdvantage credit

This has not happened. It is normal to be asked for boarding passes to substantiate mileage claims from a partner; that it was an AA operated flight isnt relevant ; keeping boarding passes until flights have credited is a good idea. With online check in options and ability to get boarding passes emailed, it is a really easy thing to do these days
AA has documentation he was on the flight. It's called a flight manifest.
But, not worth much effort if it was 1100 miles
I agree though, the standard procedure is to keep documents until the miles have posted.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
AA has documentation he was on the flight. It's called a flight manifest.
But, not worth much effort if it was 1100 miles
I agree though, the standard procedure is to keep documents until the miles have posted.
That the person was on the flight doesm't mean that the person is eligible for mileage credit - as far as AA knows, the person may have credited to AY ; the request for mileage credit has to be passed to AY and requiring boarding passes for such credit is not new
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:16 pm

AA's response that it wasn't the operating carrier is incorrect
Exactly. If AA is mistaken about a basic fact like this (which does not require OP's boarding pass to establish), I would clear that up first.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Exactly. If AA is mistaken about a basic fact like this (which does not require OP's boarding pass to establish), I would clear that up first.
What does that matter though? it won't change the key aspect that the boarding pass being wanted for a claim from a partner?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:33 pm

What does that matter though? it won't change the key aspect that the boarding pass being wanted for a claim from a partner?
According to OP, it was AA's stated reason for needing the boarding pass:
Originally Posted by rrapynot
their request for the boarding pass "since AA was not the operating carrier".
​​​​​​If AA thought it relevant enough to note, the factual incorrectness should be challenged. Or more pragmatically, if OP has no other (boarding) card left to play, why not play this one before folding?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Many boarding passes are printed at home or on a cell phone, how does having a copy of that help the airline? Its not proof of actually being on the plane. As for a copy of the stub, many don't even have a ticket number on it, it has name, date and flight number plus some of them the sequence number of checkin. again none of it proves that the customer was on the flight anymore than the customer saying on an email that she / he was. Curious how having any of that helps the airline? If old boarding passes are so crucial why does the American app not save them?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.