Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AA card on someone else’s account. Do they get boarding/checked bag privileges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using AA card on someone else’s account. Do they get boarding/checked bag privileges?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Hi all. I’m booking an award ticket for my partner through his AA account. I was going to pay the taxes and fees with my AA (barclaycard) credit card so that he can get the benefits (Priority boarding and checked bagage), but I don’t know if it works that way? Will he get the benefits on his ticket if I pay on his AA account with my credit card?

For clarification: I cannot book the ticket through my own AA account (I do not have enough miles) and he does not own an AA-associated credit card at the moment.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
No benefits on another AA account. You just get them on your AA account, even if you used a different card.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armus
No benefits on another AA account. You just get them on your AA account, even if you used a different card.
Thank you! Most helpful.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To further explain, the benefits you receive as a result of having the AA card are specifically associated with your AAdvantage account number (which Chase/Barclay’s know obviously, and they tell AA you are a cardholder). So whenever you fly AA using your AAdvantage number (always I hope!) you will get those benefits, regardless of how you paid for the ticket. The only way to extend the benefits to another person is if that person is traveling with you on the same reservation.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by travelontherun
Hi all. I’m booking an award ticket for my partner through his AA account. I was going to pay the taxes and fees with my AA (barclaycard) credit card so that he can get the benefits (Priority boarding and checked bagage), but I don’t know if it works that way? Will he get the benefits on his ticket if I pay on his AA account with my credit card?

For clarification: I cannot book the ticket through my own AA account (I do not have enough miles) and he does not own an AA-associated credit card at the moment.
- Actually, AA requires that the names on the CC and AA account from which the miles will be coming from would match. So you can use your miles and your credit card to buy a ticket for someone else but you cannot charge someone else CC for that. This is a security feature which could be a problem when miles are coming from a minor who has no CC.
Regarding your question, even if I buy my mother a ticket from my EXP account and pay with my CC, my mother will be flying under her status unless I fly with her on the same record locator.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alex_I
- Actually, AA requires that the names on the CC and AA account from which the miles will be coming from would match. So you can use your miles and your credit card to buy a ticket for someone else but you cannot charge someone else CC for that. This is a security feature which could be a problem when miles are coming from a minor who has no CC.
Regarding your question, even if I buy my mother a ticket from my EXP account and pay with my CC, my mother will be flying under her status unless I fly with her on the same record locator.
YES indeed you are absolutely correct. I JUST realized this very fact (that I can't pay for a ticket or taxes/fees on my partners AA account with a credit card in my name. It has to be a CC in HIS name). Ugh! So my original question is a moot point I guess.

Thanks again all for the other clarifications! Very helpful indeed.
felicity5 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
To further explain, the benefits you receive as a result of having the AA card are specifically associated with your AAdvantage account number (which Chase/Barclay’s know obviously, and they tell AA you are a cardholder). So whenever you fly AA using your AAdvantage number (always I hope!) you will get those benefits, regardless of how you paid for the ticket. The only way to extend the benefits to another person is if that person is traveling with you on the same reservation.
Thank you. Very clear info.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by travelontherun
YES indeed you are absolutely correct. I JUST realized this very fact (that I can't pay for a ticket or taxes/fees on my partners AA account with a credit card in my name. It has to be a CC in HIS name). Ugh! So my original question is a moot point I guess.

Thanks again all for the other clarifications! Very helpful indeed.
- Note that you can still pay for your buddy's ticket with your CC as long as you do not use your miles! But even then your buddy will not inherit any benefits associated with your CC. Of course, you will be getting x2 miles because of AA spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.