Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020

DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020

Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ikwia
To where?
would be hilarious, no doubt, to hear his answers
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by MarJon
Actually you can fly LY to Cairo and Amman. You could also connect with OW's Royal Jordanian airlines to Amman and possibly connect with S7.
But, why fly DFW-TLV-AMM, just to make another connection to S7?
SJOGuy likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AA PLT
I think people fly a bit "the wrong way" for lots of international flights. Just above a poster was talking about flying from ATL to DFW for this flight and didn't seem bothered by it. And looking at ORD specifically, if you want to go to TLV on the US3, connecting through DFW is as good of a choice from ORD as any other IMHO, especially if going through DFW lets you fly on your preferred carrier.
I get there may be plenty of FTers who would backtrack that way to stay on AA and get EQMs up, but for UA or DL flyers (and a majority of the traveling population, who care about price and trip duration) connecting at EWR or JFK makes much more sense ex-ORD unless the price is right.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by joeyE
Google the Ben Gurion flight schedule. There's ~175 flights that depart from tonight to tomorrow night (on Shabbos). Seems the non-observant market is vibrant & healthy to where a foreign carrier doesn't need to cater to them to make a profit.
You're missing my point. Of course, TLV operates seven days a week. I'm saying that if AA chooses to serve that market only three times week, does it want one of those days to conflict with Shabbat, when a significant portion of that market cannot travel? A daily schedule will smooth things out over the whole week, as opposed a Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule when one of those days presents issues for a big segment of the market.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DMPHL
@JonNYC, what is your read on the reason for 3x weekly as opposed to, say 4x or 5x? Is it purely a conservative foray, or is it also about aircraft utilization, and available frames to do a 3-4x weekly attempt at one of the potential other destinations you've noted TBA?
Oops, missed this (busy day yesterday!)
Unlike others, I won't state something as a fact unless I know the actual answer, and in this case I do not.

I *assume* it's as simple as conservative foray/available aircraft-- see if this route takes off above and beyond the others, both new and old and then commit or quit (or move or add.) Again, 100% pure speculation on my part. They really very much -want- to serve TLV, so the route will benefit from -considerably- more patience and tinkering than say one of the new/newer Euro routes etc.
DMPHL likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by AA100k

Apologies to all. I didnt mean it THAT way, I meant to say that there more Christians here than anywhere else.
That is how I read your original post.
ijgordon and AA100k like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
You're missing my point. Of course, TLV operates seven days a week. I'm saying that if AA chooses to serve that market only three times week, does it want one of those days to conflict with Shabbat, when a significant portion of that market cannot travel? A daily schedule will smooth things out over the whole week, as opposed a Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule when one of those days presents issues for a big segment of the market.
Well if they decide to avoid Shabbat, that means they can't fly ex-DFW on Thursday (because the aircraft would have to sit in TLV for 24+ hours) or Friday, and Saturday is probably even be difficult except maybe in winter. From a business travel perspective (since that seems to be more the driving force based on commentary here than the orthodox community), that's probably a no-go, so I assume they'll probably have to fly on Shabbat.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:11 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
According to The Dallas Morning News, the flight will depart DFW at 10:15 pm and arrive at TLV at 6:30 pm. The return flight will leave at 11:50 pm and arrive at 5:05 am.
N830MH and econometrics like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
According to The Dallas Morning News, the flight will depart DFW at 10:15 pm and arrive at TLV at 6:30 pm. The return flight will leave at 11:50 pm and arrive at 5:05 am.
Thats about what I was expecting, considering the possibilities and usage of the plane.

Thats a great departure time from DFW and arrival to TLV, IMO. 18:30 is not quite as crazy at TLV as the usual 1600 arrival bank.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by econometrics
Thats a great departure time from DFW and arrival to TLV, IMO. 18:30 is not quite as crazy at TLV as the usual 1600 arrival bank.
When I take the UA flight that arrives in the 1600 grouping, Im usually through immigration with only a few minutes wait. Do you normally have checked bags? I dont, which helps with beating the crowds.

Anyways, 1830 is reasonable for my preferences, so I am eager to try this to TLV. I will likely still stick with my LHR connection strategy on the return. And of course, my business in TLV will prob end before the route goes active
econometrics likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
I wonder what AA will do for a lounge. I assume/hope theyll partner with LY, or perhaps Dan. I find LY has much better food offerings...those little pizza strips are actually quite good.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well if they decide to avoid Shabbat, that means they can't fly ex-DFW on Thursday (because the aircraft would have to sit in TLV for 24+ hours) or Friday, and Saturday is probably even be difficult except maybe in winter. From a business travel perspective (since that seems to be more the driving force based on commentary here than the orthodox community), that's probably a no-go, so I assume they'll probably have to fly on Shabbat. .
If the post quoted below is accurate, then it is indeed a problem for observant passengers to leave DFW at 1015p on Saturday in summer, considering the need to drive to the airport. But that still leaves 4 days in the week (Sun-Wed ex-DFW); there's no law that says 3/week requires non-successive days. It's not as if the same aircraft must be used.
Originally Posted by TWA884

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Aug 9, 2019 at 3:13 pm
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
If the post quoted below is accurate, then it is indeed a problem for observant passengers to leave DFW at 1015p on Saturday in summer, considering the need to drive to the airport. But that still leaves 4 days in the week (Sun-Wed ex-DFW); there's no law that says 3/week requires non-successive days. It's not as if the same aircraft must be used.
Right, but my main point is that if they were to avoid the sabbath and fly, say, Sun/Mon/Wed ex-DFW, thats a terrible schedule for a US business traveler who probably wants to arrive Sat/Sun to start the week on Sun/Mon, or even an Israeli business traveler who wants to get to the US on Sun/Mon early morning.
And the consensus here seems to be that this flight isnt really targeted at highly observant Jews, which is why I said I think theyll have to fly on Shabbat. I guess well find out soon enough!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
I wonder what AA will do for a lounge. I assume/hope theyll partner with LY, or perhaps Dan. I find LY has much better food offerings...those little pizza strips are actually quite good.
The Dan lounges are (or were, it's been five years) gross and dirty. I tossed my lounge passes the last trip.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by born sleepy
The Dan lounges are (or were, it's been five years) gross and dirty. I tossed my lounge passes the last trip.
Theyve improved.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.