Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ijgordon
That said, I think it is mostly the Orthodox and Chasidic Jews that travel frequently to Israel, at least once a year for many. Reform and conservative Jews probably go no more than a couple of times in their lifetimes. I would suspect that the Orthodox/Chasidic Jews are more concentrated in the Northeast.
Ok, the Orthodox Jews go there often but again, not just Jewish Americans want travel to Israel. America is the largest Christian country in the world and plenty want to visit the Holy Land. I’m sure the Orthodox Jews will continue to fly out of JFK on ELAL or DL and the other carriers with nonstops. AA has probably done the calculus on this and figures that they can compete better out of DFW. I believe this route will work.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AA100k

My Jewish GF tells me that there are over a million Jewish Americans living in California, a similar number to New York. It’s not a “vast” majority living on the East Coast any longer. But more importantly, I know plenty of Christians who want to tour the Holy Land including myself. It’s not just Jewish Americans who travel to Israel. This route should be a success.
Yes, the demand for flying to TLV is well beyond being just aimed at Jewish populations. Even as I am not as certain that the route will be a huge success — the flight length itself makes for challenges in making flights a huge success for an airline — it should do well enough to hold up better than some of the European routes AA has tried but struggled to make work. Better that AA tries new routes than sits on doing only things it’s done before.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DWFI
The difference is that UA already ran double daily 77W/772 ex-EWR to TLV. In my mind it's quite different.
Right! UA still flies EWR-TLV. The flight are always full for everyday. There's no way to get a seat.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by N830MH
Right! UA still flies EWR-TLV. The flight are always full for everyday. There's no way to get a seat.
What secret did those who are filling the plane use to get a seat??
deeruck, Antarius and Uncle Nonny like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
What secret did those who are filling the plane use to get a seat??
Lots of Jewish community who going to Israel. They always filling the plane all the time.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Lots of Jewish community who going to Israel. They always filling the plane all the time.
I think you missed my jesting. You stated than no one could get a seat, yet the planes are full... Obviously purchasing a ticket in advance gets you a seat..
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Wow, lots of good discussion.

My speculation (and it's just that, speculation) is that the combination of O/D traffic in/around TX, the mere fact that DFW is such a huge hub (and hence a convenient connection for many people), the fact that UA has a pretty good handle on the east coast flights (and I guess west coast, too, with SFO), and maybe even the fact that DFW has a proper international lounge (FS, unlike PHL or CLT) combined to make this a viable option for AA.

I've been avoiding AA to TLV because the connection situation is terrible. I've done it twice over the years and have vowed "never again". Not only are the overseas connections at poor times (for my preferences), the El Al security screening is really problematic for me (note that I am NOT talking about security at TLV, which I find to be professional and efficient, even if annoying). UA through EWR has been my go-to, but hopefully that can change now. An arrival in TLV 3-6pm or so would cement the deal for me. On the way back, if they go with a midnight-ish departure, arriving to DFW early morning (6am or so), I don't think I would take it. My personal preference would be to return the way that I have, TLV-LHR (on LY), LHR-(someplace -- ORD or MIA, usually) on BA or AA, overnight, and then to my final destination. Surely many will want to avoid the overnight, but this approach works very well for getting me back on US time, and also lets me leave TLV at a reasonable time in the morning (circa 10am). Of course, this all assumes that the 3x a week fall on days that work with my meeting schedule, which I generally have minimal input into when visiting my customer in TLV.
econometrics likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I think you missed my jesting. You stated than no one could get a seat, yet the planes are full... Obviously purchasing a ticket in advance gets you a seat..
Right! They have get a seat 6 months in advance. Both UA & DL knew the flight are always full everyday.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:09 pm
Suspended

...They always filling the plane all the time.
Right! They have get a seat 6 months in advance. Both UA & DL knew the flight are always full everyday.
A simple and quick look at Expertflyer shows there isn't the *slightest* shred of truth to this story you're telling.
aamilesslave and ExpatExp like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by JonNYC
A simple and quick look at Expertflyer shows there isn't the *slightest* shred of truth to this story you're telling.
I was about to point this out.

Also, I know it's a single data point, but I flew EWR-TLV just recently (last week) and business was about half empty the morning of the flight. This not to say there isn't high demand, but making it sound like it's hard to get seats (economy or business) is misleading. I will say that whatever UA calls its premium economy offering was very full on many of the dates I spot checked when i was making my booking.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:50 pm
Suspended

this is a search for FOUR economy award seats, EWR-TLV:
Attached Images  
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by AA100k

My Jewish GF tells me that there are over a million Jewish Americans living in California, a similar number to New York. It’s not a “vast” majority living on the East Coast any longer. But more importantly, I know plenty of Christians who want to tour the Holy Land including myself. It’s not just Jewish Americans who travel to Israel. This route should be a success.
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I suspect this flight is going to be targeting Bible Belt evangelical tourists to Israel along with whatever tech/energy corporate clients they might have in Texas. I can't imagine that Austin tech companies and Noble Energy are going to be enough on their own to fill these flights, but then again - I could be wrong!
Originally Posted by ijgordon
That said, I think it is mostly the Orthodox and Chasidic Jews that travel frequently to Israel, at least once a year for many. Reform and conservative Jews probably go no more than a couple of times in their lifetimes. I would suspect that the Orthodox/Chasidic Jews are more concentrated in the Northeast.
I don't think religioius tourism has any bearing on this launch. Business and secular tourism are the growth drivers supporting this flight (and also to a significant extent, the 2nd dailies from NYC on DL, UA), not growth in the religious (whether Jewish or Christian) market. Same factors behind VS' LHR-TLV launch and BA placing it's 350 on the TLV route.

AA will fill the flights with its own "followers" from all over the west, and probably points within a 2 hour flight east of DFW. We are talking about the AAdvantage faithful currently connecting via LY, IB, BA, etc. There will be a lot of California O&D on this flight.

That said, there is a huge Orthodox population in LA, probably more concentrated than anywhere outside NYC metro in the US.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:30 pm

AA's claim for this route is that it is for the tech business travelers. How common is it to target business travelers with only 3x a week service? It seems that would be rather limiting, whereas I'd think leisure travelers would be more tolerant of adjusting their dates to match the available flights.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by trvlr70
Neither. The route is all about connections.
To where?
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joeyE
..A full cycle takes ~31 hours or so & then the plane is idle in DFW for 17 hours. So they'd probably want to find a pair of 5-hour flights to make use of the jet.
As DFW is home base aircraft will not sit idle for long. The aircraft will be sent to another destination: not just allocated to only one route. Any aircraft fly's on many routes per week/month. Route planning/management is about overall utilisation for a long period of time.

Great Circle Mapper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.