Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020

DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020

Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:39 am
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TWA884
As have I:
Far better than I as it turns out!
TWA884 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by econometrics
TLV ex-DFW is no more odd than DFW-ICN being the sole service on AA to S. Korea. (for now?)
Part of the reason DFW-TLV is an odd choice is about geography. Substantially more than half of the US population lives east of DFW. I doubt many people on the East Coast would be willing to connect via DFW to go to TLV. So while this might be a good option for those in the west, its not great for those in the east.

Since you have to go east to get to TLV from anywhere in the US, it would make the most sense to have the flight depart from an east coast hub. PHL and JFK are the closest hubs to TLV. And psychologically PHL is on the way to TLV from points west. Whereas DFW is most certainly not on the way to TLV from the eastern seaboard.

This ignores AA operational issues, obviously.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I imagine a world where, in success, they could do daily but operate the other frequencies from elsewhere, like Miami. Maybe a split of 4w DFW/3w MIA.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Houminer
Didn't AA claim that the TLV route in not profitable?
Yes, they did. They tried and it didn't workout so well. Not enough profitable. They losing the money and they pulled out of PHL-TLV completely.

Originally Posted by mshachar
There was also the issue of ex TWA workers and monies owed them as well as fear of a plane being impounded by the Israeli tax authorities... I don't think the route wasn't profitable.
Yes, TWA workers had it right to pay it back. They cannot be seized the plane when they landed in TLV.

UA started their SFO-TLV with 3x weekly on 789s. Now it's daily with the 77W.
Yes, they has done extremely very well. Lots of competitive. I won't expect to add 2nd daily SFO-TLV in the near future.

I think it's a good way for AA to test the waters. I expect it to be daily by May 2021, personally. (Keeping the 789)
Yes, as long if this route has done very well. Let see what happens. It will became daily in a few years. Depends if they have enough profitable.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
I imagine a world where, in success, they could do daily but operate the other frequencies from elsewhere, like Miami. Maybe a split of 4w DFW/3w MIA.
No, they won't. Let them keep that way.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I suspect this flight is going to be targeting Bible Belt evangelical tourists to Israel along with whatever tech/energy corporate clients they might have in Texas. I can't imagine that Austin tech companies and Noble Energy are going to be enough on their own to fill these flights, but then again - I could be wrong!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Gig103
I'd also think that the east coast would make more sense for O&D, although Florida and NYC fliers would still have had to make their way to Philly and maybe those folks just prefer to take BA flights (which from a JV perspective are the same to AA coffers).
Lots of competition out of the Northeast, DFW may allow higher prices.
aamilesslave likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:50 pm

You would be surprised. Westdale (big DFW-based real estate firm) just did an IPO on the Israeli markets. There's quite a bit of increased biz travel between Texas and Israel, as well as the given religious / tourist travel.

I think AA made a wise move here, as they'll be the only ones flying nonstop to TLV from the middle of America.
LY is starting/resuming ORD-TLV in March.
econometrics likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Anecdotal posts like that miss the point. The vast majority of Jewish Americans are on the east coast making DFW an odd choice.
My Jewish GF tells me that there are over a million Jewish Americans living in California, a similar number to New York. Its not a vast majority living on the East Coast any longer. But more importantly, I know plenty of Christians who want to tour the Holy Land including myself. Its not just Jewish Americans who travel to Israel. This route should be a success.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by chessman
LY is starting/resuming ORD-TLV in March.
That is correct. Begins on March 29, 2020 by operated 787 Dreamliner.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, DL Silver, SPG Titanium
UA started their SFO-TLV with 3x weekly on 789s. Now it's daily with the 77W.

I think it's a good way for AA to test the waters. I expect it to be daily by May 2021, personally. (Keeping the 789)
The difference is that UA already ran double daily 77W/772 ex-EWR to TLV. In my mind it's quite different.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Diamond; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold
Larger discussion here:

August 2019 international expansion announced

Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by DWFI
The difference is that UA already ran double daily 77W/772 ex-EWR to TLV. In my mind it's quite different.
Then wouldn't a 3rd route from a different hub cannibalize the EWR-TLV flights? I don't see how that would be an argument that DFW-TLV a paltry 3x weekly would not do well.

For an airport with over 900 daily departures on American, we're talking about selling 735 PE and Y seats each week, and 90 J seats. Sounds pretty reasonable.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA100k
[left]
My Jewish GF tells me that there are over a million Jewish Americans living in California, a similar number to New York. Its not a vast majority living on the East Coast any longer.
That said, I think it is mostly the Orthodox and Chasidic Jews that travel frequently to Israel, at least once a year for many. Reform and conservative Jews probably go no more than a couple of times in their lifetimes. I would suspect that the Orthodox/Chasidic Jews are more concentrated in the Northeast.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:37 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by AA100k

My Jewish GF tells me that there are over a million Jewish Americans living in California, a similar number to New York. Its not a vast majority living on the East Coast any longer. But more importantly, I know plenty of Christians who want to tour the Holy Land including myself. Its not just Jewish Americans who travel to Israel. This route should be a success.
Yes, after further review that is fair rebuttal. California, surprisingly to me, has about 1 million while the east coast has about 2.5M. Chicago makes a respectable showing at 300k or so. So I guess between Chicago and California there is a good base of potential customers for whom DFW is a good connecting point. I would have picked a city with a larger Jewish population- like USAir did with Philly. Also, as many have posted here, there are plenty of Christians, business, etc. travel. to Israel so maybe my population stats won't matter at all. We shall see.
AA100k likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Lots of different info out there on this, but around 100K Jewish population in PHX / Scottsdale (I've heard even more, actually), around 100K in Denver / Boulder. Another 150K between DFW, Austin and Houston, 60K in St. Louis, 50K in Mexico City, we're almost to 500K now. Just within a 2ish hour flight range of DFW.

Add in connections from GRU, EZE, and we're getting closer to 1M.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.