Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020

DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020

Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by DWFI
Good for AA, but that frequency is pretty pathetic.
UA started their SFO-TLV with 3x weekly on 789s. Now it's daily with the 77W.

I think it's a good way for AA to test the waters. I expect it to be daily by May 2021, personally. (Keeping the 789)

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by joeyE
A full cycle takes ~31 hours or so & then the plane is idle in DFW for 17 hours.
That's not how any of this works.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flightrisk
Am I the only one a little surprised that they specifically cited the tech industry in the press release? If truthful, it would seem to imply they are targeting some specific corporate accounts versus targeting demographics. But a year out is a pretty long time to wait for a business oriented flight....
And 3x a week seems pretty infrequent for a business-oriented flight, I'm assuming it's not Fri/Sat/Sun (which are peak days to/from Asia, for example).
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02
This is cool, but are there really more people going to TLV in or around DFW than the east coast? Not sure why, but I would have guessed that the east coast had more people trying to get to TLV.
You would be surprised. Westdale (big DFW-based real estate firm) just did an IPO on the Israeli markets. There's quite a bit of increased biz travel between Texas and Israel, as well as the given religious / tourist travel.

I think AA made a wise move here, as they'll be the only ones flying nonstop to TLV from the middle of America.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:37 am

I am beyond elated by this announcement. TLV has been one of my main destinations over the past 5 years, and it's always been a beating to have to wrestle with AA to get me there from DFW, especially since they just want to stick me on an LY codeshare all the time. It's been getting harder and harder to have AA.com sell me a BA flight ex-LHR, and the BA schedules have not been easy to work with.

Pure speculation, but I bet this goes daily or at least 5x weekly in May 2021.
deeruck, wrp96, Antarius and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by etiene
That's not how any of this works.
Starling, thrill me with your acumen...
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by econometrics
...Pure speculation, but I bet this goes daily or at least 5x weekly in May 2021.
To say the least.
wrp96 and econometrics like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
To say the least.
Not all of us have your ninja skills, bro!
JonNYC, wrp96 and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:43 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by econometrics
You would be surprised. Westdale (big DFW-based real estate firm) just did an IPO on the Israeli markets. There's quite a bit of increased biz travel between Texas and Israel, as well as the given religious / tourist travel.

I think AA made a wise move here, as they'll be the only ones flying nonstop to TLV from the middle of America.
Anecdotal posts like that miss the point. The vast majority of Jewish Americans are on the east coast making DFW an odd choice.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Anecdotal posts like that miss the point. The vast majority of Jewish Americans are on the east coast making DFW an odd choice.
You don't travel to TLV much, do you? Israel is no longer just a Jewish destination. At all. And not just a pilgrimage one, either.

It's hardly anecdotal to note that there's a growing biz relationship between TX firms and the Israeli economy.
aamilesslave and justsawaufo like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Frames are not allocated to single destinations, take a look at a fairly typical frame history:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n786an

These days, frames can't even really be said to have a base - the whole network is incredibly complex.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:54 am

TLV ex-DFW is no more odd than DFW-ICN being the sole service on AA to S. Korea. (for now?)
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:24 am
Suspended

Planes aren't dedicated to certain routes, so it won't just sit on the ground at DFW when it gets back.

The plane would do something like (example here): DFW-TLV-DFW-NRT-ORD-LHR-DFW-ICN-DFW.... You get the idea. Usually, it's spread among other hubs as well, but I used DFW as an example.

In reality, it would be something like: DFW-TLV-DFW-CDG-ORD-LHR-LAX-AKL-LAX-LHR-DFW.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by PHL
Despite running it for 6 years ex-PHL, when they canceled it Parker said it was never a money maker, and lost $20M in the final year. I would think East coast - TLV would still be a better option for connection options. I can't imagine O&D from DFW is stronger, so I guess they'll be relying on connections from points West/Central.
I'd also think that the east coast would make more sense for O&D, although Florida and NYC fliers would still have had to make their way to Philly and maybe those folks just prefer to take BA flights (which from a JV perspective are the same to AA coffers).
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:09 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Originally Posted by mshachar
There was also the issue of ex TWA workers and monies owed them as well as fear of a plane being impounded by the Israeli tax authorities... I don't think the route wasn't profitable.
I've been actively debunking that one for a long time:
As have I:
Originally Posted by TWA884
That's not correct. AMR and American Airlines never agreed to pay TWA's obligations to its Israeli employees nor was it ordered to pay them.

The Israeli court case was Ezra Berman v Trans World Airlines, Inc., Tel Aviv District Court 1225/01, 2001(1) 29448. A related case was Insolvency Case - Trans World Airlines 2005(4) 10352.

Some of the details are described in the book Private International Law in Israel by Talia Einhorn. Here is a link to the relevant on Google Books [link updated to Amazon "Look inside" relevant info is on pp. 163/4]. According to Ms. Einhorn, the court ordered that the Israeli assets of TWA be seized and sold to pay the Israeli employees in a similar manner to that used to pay TWA's employees in France. After those claims were paid, any leftover proceeds from the sale of the assets were to be turned over to the US bankruptcy court trustee for distribution among all the other creditors on an equal basis.

There weren't enough assets in Israel to satisfy the court order. The balance is owed by the of estate Trans World Airlines, Inc., in the Delaware Bankruptcy Court, not by American Airlines or its then parent AMR or its successor American Airlines Group.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 8, 2019 at 10:47 am Reason: Update link

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.