Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020

DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020

Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by acoburn73
Of course they are going to do this next year. Exactly 3 months after what will be my 15th (and last) flight to/from TLV from the USA since November 2018 on AA and codeshares with BA, IB and LY!
You don't say why you've been going to Israel. Is it worth another trip?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
An interesting article from the Dallas Business Journal:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...hoo&yptr=yahoo

One of the main reasons American chose to fly out of DFW was service to Israel is concentrated on the East and West Coast with a gap in the middle of the country, Vasu Raja, vice president — Network & Schedule Planning at American, said after the route was announced.

Some argue American reentering Israel through DFW is misguided because it cuts off demand from a third of the country — the thinking being people won't backtrack from the East Coast to DFW to fly to Israel — but Golan supported Raja's reasoning and thinks demand will be strong.

She visited Israeli embassies in Mexico City and Guatemala City to ask what connecting gateways made sense for them and DFW kept coming up.

Attracting the leisure travel demographic both from the Texas Jewish and Christian communities will be key as religious pilgrimages are a major source of tourism for the country.
I'm somewhat puzzled about where Guatemala City fits into this equation, although maybe that was just a throwaway comment and I'm reading too much into it. While I've certainly met a couple of Guatemalan Jews over the years, I can't imagine the traffic between the two countries is that large. :P
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, DL Silver, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by atomicfront
There are a lot of cities with a much, much bigger population than Tel Aviv that it doesn't fly to.
Forget population. If you measure by GDP of the metropolitan area, there is actually only one - Osaka. And Osaka does not have an international air travel hub, much less one with 900 daily departures.

Its easy to cherry pick misleading data; Im trying to paint a realistic picture.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:45 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I'm somewhat puzzled about where Guatemala City fits into this equation...
Israel and Guatemala are close diplomatically and have strong military ties and significant foreign trade and tourism; however, that is a topic that's better suited for OMNI/PR.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:38 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by DMPHL
I mean to say that AA is not interested in remaining at JFK is just patently untrue. They are at JFK. They remain at JFK. They have remained at JFK since they announced their strategy of focusing on business markets (LAX, LHR, SFO, MXP, GRU, etc.)...Those routes are reportedly profitable and doing quite well. Just because JFK is not interesting in using JFK as its new route guinea pig doesn't mean it's not interested in staying.

They may have just determined (based on profits and costs out of DFW, etc.) that testing the waters from DFW had considerable more upside and considerably less downside than going head-to-head-to-head-head with LY, DL, and UA in the NYC market.

You can question the strategic wisdom of all of the above, for sure, but to say that AA is uninterested in remaining at JFK is not really a valid assertion, IMO.
All I have seen at JFK are cuts. Canada and Seattle to name a few routes. They haven't added any new routes.

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
There are up to 4 daily nonstops in the market on carriers other than LY.
Served by two airlines to suck in their own unique ways: DL - which has a terrible economy product; UA - which operates from EWR, which isn't NY;

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Strange, AA keeps adding JFK destinations. The MAX issue has effected this to a certain degree. Long ways to go at JFK, but far from pulling out. LGA is constrained, and EWR, well ask UA how pulling out of JFK to concentrate on EWR went.
Please tell me what destinations were added.

Originally Posted by TWA884
Ynet reports (in Hebrew) that the Israeli Ministry of Tourism is subsidizing the route - to the tune of 750,000 Euros for operating it for a minimum of a year - in hopes of increasing Evangelical tourism to Israel.
<redacted>

I have flown the El Al non-stop between LAX and TLV and back on both the 772 and the 789, most recently in February of this year. My impression was that 25-40% of the passengers were members of religious tour groups, both evangelical and Catholic. I doubt that they pay the type of fares that make flights profitable.
I agree with this.

Originally Posted by econometrics
You don't think think these pax would enjoy a 17 hour layover in the wonderful shopping and dining metroplex of DFW!?
Jewish passengers would enjoy a 17-hour layover in AUS because it would take that long to get some brisket from Franklin BBQ.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 25, 2019 at 3:21 pm Reason: Redacted political interpretation
Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
A gentle reminder that this is the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum, and comments more suitable to OMNI/PR will be summarily deleted.

Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Is it just me, or did AA not start selling the flights yet? (Despite saying that sales will begin on Oct 10)
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by gordo6
Is it just me, or did AA not start selling the flights yet? (Despite saying that sales will begin on Oct 10)
Just you ;-)

Check out 9 September, for example.

Sadly, the arrival time is even later than previously posted it shows 7:10pm
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by uxb
Jewish passengers would enjoy a 17-hour layover in AUS because it would take that long to get some brisket from Franklin BBQ.
After receiving my BS from Illinois State in 1988, I moved to Austin to work for IBM
The best barbeque I had ever had in my life came from Stubb's...
30 years later I was a bit surprised to find Stubb's in the freezer in Arlington after moving back to Texas.
I had no idea how big Stubb's had become. I also notice Stubb's was inducted into the Barbeque Hall of Fame this year
https://www.stubbsbbq.com/stubbs-story
uxb likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Thats weird, EF doesnt show the flight...
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ikwia
Sadly, the arrival time is even later than previously posted — it shows 7:10pm
They increased the flight time, as the departure time is only 5 minutes later than originally announced while the arrival time is 40 minutes later.

The flight number, AA18, is very clever.
JonNYC and uxb like this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
They increased the flight time, as the departure time is only 5 minutes later than originally announced while the arrival time is 40 minutes later.

Interesting - I wonder if that's intentional - it must be, right?

For those who are not MOT (members of tribe), 18 is the numeric value ascribed to the word "chai" (חי), which means "life." So it's modestly significant in a Jewish context.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond

I like the 18 too,.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
American Airlines' DFW-TLV flight has been loaded:

Depart DFW 10:20 p.m. Arrive TLV 7:10 p.m. - block time 12h50m
Depart TLV 10:05 p.m. Arrive DFW 5:05 a.m. - block time 15h
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:48 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by mvoight
After receiving my BS from Illinois State in 1988, I moved to Austin to work for IBM
The best barbeque I had ever had in my life came from Stubb's...
30 years later I was a bit surprised to find Stubb's in the freezer in Arlington after moving back to Texas.
I had no idea how big Stubb's had become. I also notice Stubb's was inducted into the Barbeque Hall of Fame this year
https://www.stubbsbbq.com/stubbs-story
I think the reason why I like Franklin is because their brisket is much more like pastrami than the competition. Again, that's the Jew in me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.