FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   August 2019 international expansion announced (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1982105-august-2019-international-expansion-announced.html)

dkc192 Aug 8, 2019 2:26 am

August 2019 international expansion announced

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like the first part of the shoe has dropped!

Newsroom - American Airlines Increases International Presence, Makes First Entrance Into Africa - American Airlines Group, Inc.

DFW-TLV, 3x weekly 789 year-round, starting 09/2020
PHL-CMN, 3x weekly 752 seasonal, runs 06/2020-09/2020
ORD-KRK, 5x weekly 788 seasonal, runs 05/2020-10/2020
ORD-PRG, 5x weekly 788 seasonal, runs 05/2020-10/2020
ORD-BUD, 4x weekly 788 seasonal, runs 05/2020-10/2020

Now to see what routes get cut and what else gets announced with regard to Oceania in particular.

Commentary:
- DFW initially seems like a weird hub to start TLV from, but maybe it makes sense given AA's mighty presence there and the lack of service from the Midwest/South. But 3x a week is not sufficient in a business-oriented market. Maybe they don't have enough 789s.
- They're barely trying on CMN by using the smallest capable plane and offering the least competitive product in both J and Y.
- Still don't get KRK over WAW.
- Surprised nothing in Western Europe got launched. I know there were rumors swirling about things like PHL-NCE/AGP/NAP and DFW-BCN.

taxicabnumber Aug 8, 2019 2:52 am

I wonder if ORD-PRG/BUD are shifting over from PHL or in addition to PHL service.

SiempreBCNJFK Aug 8, 2019 3:31 am

752 to CMN is pretty disappointing. I guess they're approaching it very conservatively.

ajeleonard Aug 8, 2019 3:47 am

I'm pretty skeptical on Casablanca, BA doesn't even serve it at all from London suggesting it's not exactly a honeypot of profits. Perhaps RAM in Oneworld will change things

aztimm Aug 8, 2019 3:57 am

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 31392804)
ORD-KRK, 5x weekly 788 seasonal, runs 05/2020-10/2020

Now this was quite a surprise to see. And I swear I have no inside information! :p
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31306081-post1078.html

As a Polish-American, I see far greater tourist value in going to KRK -v- WAW. Like I said in my other post, the fact that no other airline goes between North America and KRK gives a slight edge (sure I can fly AUS-ORD-KRK or BA AUS-LHR-KRK, and deal with transferring at LHR). Where things really pay off is from those airports that would have otherwise required a double-connect, XXX-ORD-LHR-KRK.
We'll see how this route does. Perhaps I can talk my Mom into going with me for a trip so she can see where her family came from.

TPJ Aug 8, 2019 4:46 am

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 31392804)
- Still don't get KRK over WAW.

KRK: The only competition is LO KRK-ORD 3 x weekly

WAW: LO flies multiple times per day to the States: JFK/EWR/ORD/LAX/MIA, might add IAD

It is the same with LH: WAW-FRA - 4 x daily, KRK-FRA - 5 x daily (WAW-MUC - 3 x daily, KRK-MUC - 4 x daily)

PS. Agree about TLV - 3 x weekly while UA flies 3 x daily (EWR x 2 plus SFO) is pathetic...

danielflyer Aug 8, 2019 4:59 am

The problem with all of AA’s new route to Casablanca is the connection in PHL. JFK may be more expensive and lack room for expansion, but launching these flights from there would let AA capitalize on premium direct traffic.

No one wants to connect in PHL, particularly when so many other airlines have better hubs and service.

And summer is an awful time to start this route.

Djokison Aug 8, 2019 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry (Post 31393121)
The problem with all of AA’s new routes is the connection in PHL. JFK may be more expensive and lack room for expansion, but launching these flights from there would let AA capitalize on premium direct traffic.

No one wants to connect in PHL, particularly when so many other airlines have better hubs and service.

Literally only one of the routes announced today is from PHL...

danielflyer Aug 8, 2019 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Djokison (Post 31393130)

I’m speaking about the last few years. But yes you are right.

SiempreBCNJFK Aug 8, 2019 6:50 am

The problem with all of AA’s new route to Casablanca is the connection in PHL. JFK may be more expensive and lack room for expansion, but launching these flights from there would let AA capitalize on premium direct traffic.

Connecting in ORD is no joyride either, especially in bound from international...

golfingboy Aug 8, 2019 6:58 am

All nice adds... I don't expect a significant international expansion given AA's wide body fleet will be relatively flat for 2020/2021. Mostly shifting of routes.

24 767s will be removed by 2021 and 22 788s coming into the fleet.

LINDEGR Aug 8, 2019 8:36 am

Hyperbole like that is neither helpful/constructive nor accurate. ORD and CLT are much. much worse IMHO.

econometrics Aug 8, 2019 8:39 am

The real silver lining here is the fact that AA is announcing significant INTL expansion NOT from PHL. ^

I think the ORD E. Europe routes will do well. Krakow is an amazing city, and there's a decent amount of biz in the south of Poland, too.

LINDEGR Aug 8, 2019 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Djokison (Post 31393130)

The movement of the KEF flight from DFW to PHL does not count?

Cledaybuck Aug 8, 2019 9:06 am

And JFK is a joy to connect in? Which airlines have better hubs and service to Casablanca?