FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Please help! I had flight to GCM and now AA doesn’t fly there on tues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1982078-please-help-i-had-flight-gcm-now-aa-doesn-t-fly-there-tues.html)

AngieB Aug 7, 2019 7:13 pm

Please help! I had flight to GCM and now AA doesn’t fly there on tues

I’ve had my flights booked for 6 months. I had a vacation planned for grand cayman in November. I just received an email from AA that my flights had a change. I was flying Tuesday to Tuesday from Appleton, WI to Grand Cayman. Looking at my flights, they have me only getting to CLT and back from MIA (I spoke with a supervisor and told him I have a non-refundable resort). He said all he could do was change the flights for me to a different day and that they no longer fly to grand cayman on Tuesday's. He gave me some other days as options but they have an overnight in CLT (unless I try to go Saturday to Saturday- I have a call in to my resort to see if I can change). I asked about a hotel if I take an overnight option and he said I would have to pay for it out of my own pocket.

I truly can’t believe this is happening to me so close to my vacation. What should I do? I typically fly 1-2 times a year and have had flight change by an hour or two but not a day!

Any advice will help...

guv1976 Aug 7, 2019 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by AngieB (Post 31392001)
I’ve had my flights booked for 6 months. I had a vacation planned for grand cayman in November. I just received an email from AA that my flights had a change. I was flying Tuesday to Tuesday from Appleton, WI to Grand Cayman. Looking at my flights, they have me only getting to CLT and back from MIA (I spoke with a supervisor and told him I have a non-refundable resort). He said all he could do was change the flights for me to a different day and that they no longer fly to grand cayman on Tuesday's. He gave me some other days as options but they have an overnight in CLT (unless I try to go Saturday to Saturday- I have a call in to my resort to see if I can change). I asked about a hotel if I take an overnight option and he said I would have to pay for it out of my own pocket.

I truly can’t believe this is happening to me so close to my vacation. What should I do? I typically fly 1-2 times a year and have had flight change by an hour or two but not a day!

Any advice will help...

Welcome to FT!

If AA will no longer fly to GCM on Tuesdays in November, then they are not going to restore the flight because of your non-refundable lodging accommodations. Your options are to accept a re-routing, or get your money back from AA and find another carrier that can get you to and from GCM on Tuesdays in November. If another airline charges more than what AA charged you, you will be stuck paying the difference.

Edited to add: If you are willing and able to begin and end your trip at ORD instead of ATW, check fares on JetBlue. ;)

metallo Aug 7, 2019 7:38 pm

(I spoke with a supervisor and told him I have a non-refundable resort). He said all he could do was change the flights for me to a different day...

If AA can't re-accommodate you to your satisfaction as a result of the schedule change, you have every right to cancel the tickets and request a full refund to the original form of payment. Based on the information you have provided, you would certainly be entitled to that per AA policy and practice.

I’ve had my flights booked for 6 months...

In the frequent flyer world, realize that you really are not "so close" to your vacation, as it's currently August, and your trip is in November.

Schedule changes are quite common, particularly when you book as early as six months out. Many FlyerTalk posters, especially the business travelers, are accustomed to booking last-minute tickets (certainly within 7 days of departure, sometimes even same day).

Any advice will help...

Fortunately, you have plenty of time to consider and make alternative plans. If it were me, and my dates really weren't flexible, I'd simply re-book on another carrier. You may even find that the price of the tickets will go down closer to departure if unsold inventory remains. The sweet spot for buying is often just a few weeks prior to the day of departure.

Alex_I Aug 7, 2019 7:39 pm

Any advice will help...

Very sorry that AA schedule did change. Here are your options:
1) You can ask for cancelling your tickets and full refund. DL would have 1 stop flights
ATW–GCM but those are expensive.
2) Look at other available AA flights (perhaps, arriving on Monday and leaving on Wed) and ask AA to change your ticket to those specific flights at no extra cost to you. This way you keep your original reservation and extend your vacation.
3) Look for convenient AA flights and ask hotel to change the reservation to match the dates of your flights.

Alex_I Aug 7, 2019 8:14 pm

If you are still trying to keep the original dates and would like to take a risk with two separate tickets you can still do it without overnight:
1) Fly ATW-MIA-ATW. (with at least one extra stop).
For example, on Nov. 5-12 you can do this for $332 on DL.
2) Gayman Airways is flying MIA-GCM on Tuesdays.
For example,MIA-GCM Nov 05 04:20 pm-05 05:50 pm
and return GCM-MIA Nov 12 07:10 am -08:40 am
This will give you plenty of time to make it to MIA and get back to ATW
211.81 USD

Perhaps, you can fly to MIA on Saturday, spend a few days there, and then go to GCM on Tue.
Jet Blue flies FLL-GCM but making connections without overnight would be problematic.
Good luck!

Often1 Aug 7, 2019 8:18 pm

OP:

You really need to make a decision as to what you want and then act on it. This stuff happens and it may well happen again. Unfortunately, the further out you book, the more likely these things are to happen.

AngieB Aug 7, 2019 8:21 pm

This would be a great option but I’m pulling my kids out of school for this trip and I don’t think the school would allow more days of them missing school :(

SpammersAreScum Aug 7, 2019 8:23 pm

Have you asked the hotel if they would be willing to shift the nights? Sure, it's non-refundable, but this far out they may have the availability and be willing to work it out.

salut0 Aug 7, 2019 8:24 pm

I was going to suggest asking AA if they’d reroute you through NAS on the BA253 flight NAS-GCM but after some research and thought I see there might be a few complications with that:
— BA don’t fly that route on Tuesdays
— Not sure if that segment is even bookable as a stand-alone flight. It is really the second leg of a one-stop “direct” flight LHR-NAS-GCM. Does anyone know if it can be booked on its own or combined with other AA flights like this?

mvoight Aug 7, 2019 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by AngieB (Post 31392155)
This would be a great option but I’m pulling my kids out of school for this trip and I don’t think the school would allow more days of them missing school :(

Can you go Wednesday to Wednesday? Same number of school days.
Have you discussed the issue with where you are staying? Checked alternate carriers?

AngieB Aug 7, 2019 8:27 pm

I’m used to the airlines changing times during the day as far as departing or arrival times. I’m just not used to them changing days...

i did book book my flights on miles (that’s why I booked so far out).

awaiting a response from my resort. I contacted citi (the one I used for resort) about trip insurance but they said the airline cancelling my flight doesn’t apply to the coverage of their trip insurance.

Shouldn’t AA pay for the overnight hotel if those are the flights I choose (during the week)?

I did find flights Saturday - Saturday. I’m STILL waiting for the resort to call me back (so I can beg them to let me change my dates)

dls25 Aug 7, 2019 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by salut0 (Post 31392163)
I was going to suggest asking AA if they’d reroute you through NAS on the BA253 flight NAS-GCM but after some research and thought I see there might be a few complications with that:
— BA don’t fly that route on Tuesdays
— Not sure if that segment is even bookable as a stand-alone flight. It is really the second leg of a one-stop “direct” flight LHR-NAS-GCM. Does anyone know if it can be booked on its own or combined with other AA flights like this?

The intercaribbean BA flights can be booked standalone. A few years ago, I had a MSP-CLT-ANU become MSP-CLT-SKB-ANU due to an aircraft substitution and subsequent very oversold flight. SKB-ANU was on BA.

ashill Aug 7, 2019 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by AngieB (Post 31392172)
I’m used to the airlines changing times during the day as far as departing or arrival times. I’m just not used to them changing days...

It’s annoying but not all that uncommon in the off-season in relatively small markets like GCM. Booking flights a long time in advance may feel like safety, but it can actually be more expensive and leaves you subject to very likely schedule changes. Really, the schedule more than three or four months in advance is largely a placeholder. But schedule changes can work to your advantage, because they instantly make any fare fully flexible within the constraints of what the airline is operating.

Shouldn’t AA pay for the overnight hotel if those are the flights I choose (during the week)?
“Should” is of course a matter of opinion that I won’t address. The ones that really matter are “will they?” or “are they legally obligated to?” or “would any competing airline?” The answer to all three questions is absolutely not. However, if you’re asking if they’ll put you on any AA flight you want (regardless of award/fare class availability as long as there are seats for sale, which there definitely will be this far out on any flight that’s actually on the schedule), the answer is an emphatic yes. And they’ll refund in full no questions asked if you prefer. Most likely, the most economical option would be the resort agreeing to change your dates to a day AA flies. But checking a Tuesday pair in November, I see $440 round trip from Chicago on JetBlue and about $1000 round trip from Madison or Appleton on Delta. Those are pretty much your only options on Tuesday.

xliioper Aug 7, 2019 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by AngieB (Post 31392172)

i did book book my flights on miles (that’s why I booked so far out).

awaiting a response from my resort. I contacted citi (the one I used for resort) about trip insurance but they said the airline cancelling my flight doesn’t apply to the coverage of their trip insurance.

I did find flights Saturday - Saturday. I’m STILL waiting for the resort to call me back (so I can beg them to let me change my dates)

No, AA will not pay for hotel nights for advance schedule changes like this. They only do so for last minute overnight delays due to issues within their control like mechanical issues. They will either refund your points and cancel your reservation if you wish, or you can accept the date changes and pay for any additional expenses out of your own pocket.

AngieB Aug 7, 2019 9:23 pm

I contacted Wyndham, they told me I cannot modify the reservation. They said if I cancel, I need to pay 100% of the cost. There’s 11 of us going total (5 were booked on flights flying out of Chicago). So I got 2-2 bedroom suites at the resort. So I could be out over $5,000. I plan on calling the resort directly tomorrow (they are no longer open so I couldn’t talk to them directly).