Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Please help! I had flight to GCM and now AA doesn’t fly there on tues

Please help! I had flight to GCM and now AA doesn’t fly there on tues

Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by ashill

It’s annoying but not all that uncommon in the off-season in relatively small markets like GCM. Booking flights a long time in advance may feel like safety, but it can actually be more expensive and leaves you subject to very likely schedule changes. Really, the schedule more than three or four months in advance is largely a placeholder. But schedule changes can work to your advantage, because they instantly make any fare fully flexible within the constraints of what the airline is operating.

“Should” is of course a matter of opinion that I won’t address. The ones that really matter are “will they?” or “are they legally obligated to?” or “would any competing airline?” The answer to all three questions is absolutely not. However, if you’re asking if they’ll put you on any AA flight you want (regardless of award/fare class availability as long as there are seats for sale, which there definitely will be this far out on any flight that’s actually on the schedule), the answer is an emphatic yes. And they’ll refund in full no questions asked if you prefer. Most likely, the most economical option would be the resort agreeing to change your dates to a day AA flies. But checking a Tuesday pair in November, I see $440 round trip from Chicago on JetBlue and about $1000 round trip from Madison or Appleton on Delta. Those are pretty much your only options on Tuesday.
You won't know what AA will do until you speak with them and probably escalate it.

A year ago, we were on BA, on awards (which should have lower priority than cash tickets?). We had paid for the cruise and gotten the awards tickets almost a year in advance.
With about 2 months to go, we got a notice that BA no longer was going to operate the first leg of our return. Just stopped operating it.
They ended up rerouting us, but they still no longer operated *any* flight out of our starting city for our return.
So... they put us on a flight with a NON-partner airline, because that was one of the few ways to get us out of that little town.

I had never heard of that before, but BA didn't really seem to blink, given there was no other way to "get us home" without really weird routing and many flights.
We got the better routing including that one non-partner flight because we complained, politely, but firmly.

Good luck.

GC
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AngieB
I contacted Wyndham, they told me I cannot modify the reservation. They said if I cancel, I need to pay 100% of the cost. There’s 11 of us going total (5 were booked on flights flying out of Chicago). So I got 2-2 bedroom suites at the resort. So I could be out over $5,000. I plan on calling the resort directly tomorrow (they are no longer open so I couldn’t talk to them directly).
For something like this, you need to call the property and not the chain. Also, make sure you're talking with someone with the authority to make such changes; a front desk clerk is likely to say no automatically, just like the chain did.

BTW, you might try making a dummy booking for what would be the new dates (Wednesday travel, but try Monday also) for the room types you have and those that would work for you. For all you know now, the new flight dates could lead to cheaper hotel prices, which would make it easier to convince some supervisor/manager to authorize the changes you need.
AA_ORDlady likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Also... it won’t do you any good this time, but for next time, non-refundable hotel bookings are almost always a bad idea for trips like this. For something like a $100, 1-night booking... fine. Even if it goes to waste, it’s not the end of the world. But there’s really nothing that makes it worth your while to sign on the dotted line for $5k with a 100% cancellation penalty. As you’ve discovered, there are plenty of reasons why your trip might be cancelled or need to change, and even if you’ve got trip insurance, you may find yourself holding the bag even when it wasn’t your idea to change or cancel.
Spiff, ashill, der_saeufer and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
You won't know what AA will do until you speak with them and probably escalate it.

A year ago, we were on BA, on awards (which should have lower priority than cash tickets?). We had paid for the cruise and gotten the awards tickets almost a year in advance.
With about 2 months to go, we got a notice that BA no longer was going to operate the first leg of our return. Just stopped operating it.
They ended up rerouting us, but they still no longer operated *any* flight out of our starting city for our return.
So... they put us on a flight with a NON-partner airline, because that was one of the few ways to get us out of that little town.

I had never heard of that before, but BA didn't really seem to blink, given there was no other way to "get us home" without really weird routing and many flights.
We got the better routing including that one non-partner flight because we complained, politely, but firmly.

Good luck.

GC
That's a good experience. But they didn't cover lost costs on a cruise or a non-refundable hotel reservation, did they? That was specifically what the OP asked and the post you responded to said is not going to happen.

Airlines have industry discounted rates for each others' space, even on non-partners. Good on BA for doing that in your case. But covering a hotel reservation not made through the airline is a different barrel of wax. Getting that from an airline is so unlikely that, IMO, you would be wasting your time and making friendly but in-the-realm-of-possibility accommodations -- like rerouting on a non-partner airline that flies to the airport you're going to -- less likely.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
WN will do MDW-GCM for $360/pax. (Checked 11/5-11/12)
It leaves at 5AM, which is a bummer, but drive down the night before, get a room near the airport and salvage your vacation.
You may get some luck if you push with the airline. WN cancelled my flight to MEX several months before my flight and just bought me a ticket on UA. That's probably not that normal and WN acts way different than most airlines. As Southwest doesn't interline, they just booked via concur with the WN credit card and sent me the email from concur.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
OP, checking with the resort has you are doing is a great starting point.
I can understand your frustration, especially when you have planned this so far out.
Honestly at this point, wait until you get a change to talk to the manager at the property, please let us know what they say... then it will be time to sort out what you need to do with the tickets.
Hopefully the hotel will be respective and understanding.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by ashill
That's a good experience. But they didn't cover lost costs on a cruise or a non-refundable hotel reservation, did they? That was specifically what the OP asked and the post you responded to said is not going to happen.

Airlines have industry discounted rates for each others' space, even on non-partners. Good on BA for doing that in your case. But covering a hotel reservation not made through the airline is a different barrel of wax. Getting that from an airline is so unlikely that, IMO, you would be wasting your time and making friendly but in-the-realm-of-possibility accommodations -- like rerouting on a non-partner airline that flies to the airport you're going to -- less likely.
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought the main problem was that OP's original flight date was changed (due to no service that day of the week anymore).
So IF they can get on a flight (e.g., on another airline, as we were given) on the original date, then there isn't a hotel refund problem, as their original planned stay just remain as is.

GC
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought the main problem was that OP's original flight date was changed (due to no service that day of the week anymore).
So IF they can get on a flight (e.g., on another airline, as we were given) on the original date, then there isn't a hotel refund problem, as their original planned stay just remain as is.

GC
I think the OP indicates booking the trip via points. As a result any out of pocket cost this close to travel may refund the points but not the cost per seat for all passengers on a different airline.
In my opinion, the airline changing dates of travel will require incurring cost of airline tickets if wish to get there tue/tue. The Hotel really has no responsibility due to airline and shouldn't budge as not their fault.

If the cost difference is arriving in GCM (earlier - which has a cost p/nt) or overnight in MIA/NAS + pay new airline cost OR just book new tickets TUE/TUE - I would choose the last option which would result in least amount of pain.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

BA didn't do it because they were being nice. They did it because EC261 required them to reroute you to another airline. In the US there is no regulation like EC261, unfortunately. So the OP really doesn't have a chance of AA rerouting them on another airline, especially on a points booking.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - When you call during regular business hours, you want to speak with a manager. Calling reservations simply has them looking at your rate code and telling you what you already knew.

I would start with the property. Next for me would be to cancel and take the WN option xMDW. While that has a hassle factor of a drive and a night in a hotel, it is an airport-area property at MDW, not a resort and should be manageable (hopefully).

The benefit of the WN flight is that you will arrive into GCM earlier in the day and, even if you can't get into your rooms, will presumably be able to change and hop in a pool / beach or whatever.

What some other carrier did in some other situation at some other time is not likely to be informative here.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
BA didn't do it because they were being nice. They did it because EC261 required them to reroute you to another airline. In the US there is no regulation like EC261, unfortunately. So the OP really doesn't have a chance of AA rerouting them on another airline, especially on a points booking.
Ah, thanks.

We were actually rather startled at the time with how (relatively) easy it was to get what was a fast/efficient re-routing on a *non*-partner airline.
(Perhaps there were *no* partner airlines operating then?)

However, their first "rerouting", done with no input from us, had us arriving for our connecting TATL flight, um, after it was scheduled to depart. Glad we caught that right away, while there were plenty of seats available on the "better" replacement flight.
(I'm surprised that the reservations software isn't programmed to "catch"/disallow a flight change that is totally impossible. We had the same thing happen with AA a year earlier - 2 years ago. "Shouldn't" the computer balk at spitting out an itinerary that is impossible time-wise like that?)

Too bad some of those same protections aren't in effect in the USA, including the automatic reimbursements for long delays.

GC
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If this is a Wyndham timeshare resort, I could understand why the property may be unwilling to make the change, although I would definitely check and see if they do have availability for the same number and type of rooms on the alternate travel days, which would make your case stronger. If they still refuse to budge, I'd at least try to shame them on social media - while the flight change is neither your fault nor theirs, there's really no cost for them to re-accommodate you, and so from a customer service perspective, they should. But if it is a timeshare resort, and you effectively bought the week from a particular owner (though a Tues-Tues stay would probably be unusual), and the property is really just acting as a middleman, I can understand why they may be unable to make the change.
But you have plenty of good advice on alternatives to get there on Tuesday on other airlines.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Ah, thanks.

We were actually rather startled at the time with how (relatively) easy it was to get what was a fast/efficient re-routing on a *non*-partner airline.
(Perhaps there were *no* partner airlines operating then?)

However, their first "rerouting", done with no input from us, had us arriving for our connecting TATL flight, um, after it was scheduled to depart. Glad we caught that right away, while there were plenty of seats available on the "better" replacement flight.
(I'm surprised that the reservations software isn't programmed to "catch"/disallow a flight change that is totally impossible. We had the same thing happen with AA a year earlier - 2 years ago. "Shouldn't" the computer balk at spitting out an itinerary that is impossible time-wise like that?)

Too bad some of those same protections aren't in effect in the USA, including the automatic reimbursements for long delays.

GC
EC 261/2004 does not require rebooking on other carriers and there is no case suggesting that it does.

Some carriers will rebook onto other carriers and others won't.

OP's situation is not close in or day of travel IRROPS. It is a schedule change. He gets roughly the same treatment in the US as in the EU, e.g., cancel for a refund, rebooking immediately, or rebooking in the future. It may all be stated differently, but it amounts to the same thing.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
What a lousy situation OP!

Originally Posted by nmpls
WN will do MDW-GCM for $360/pax. (Checked 11/5-11/12)
It leaves at 5AM, which is a bummer, but drive down the night before, get a room near the airport and salvage your vacation.
Since OP is currently booked on points, he may want to look at what an extra night or two in the resort costs versus the $360/pax tickets. I know there are school days involved so that might not be the easiest, but at least it's an extra day or two of vacation for the money!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Thank you all for your advice! I contacted the resort and explained the situation to the front desk. They did say they had availability a few days before and a few days after (they never mentioned cost so neither did I). I then called AA and had my flights changed. I wanted Saturday to Saturday but they wouldn't let me as it was too many days away from my original reservation so we settled on Sunday to Sunday (I could get there/back in 1 day vs overnights). I then called the hotel back and asked for my reservation to be changed from Sunday to Sunday and they agreed and made the change.

I barely slept last night but now hopefully there won't be any more major changes to my flights!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.