Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Please help! I had flight to GCM and now AA doesn’t fly there on tues

Please help! I had flight to GCM and now AA doesn’t fly there on tues

Old Aug 8, 19, 1:00 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 9,851
I'm glad the situation is sorted for now, but I would keep a close eye on your reservations to make sure there are no more changes between now and then.
luv2vacay likes this.
wrp96 is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 1:16 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 203
I had something similar happen last year, but with Delta.

unfortunately travel insurance won't cover this as a covered reason (only airline default/bankruptcy) for Trip Cancellation.
IF you had started the trip (and they ceased service on your return flight), then *possibly* the Trip Interruption/Delay would kick in, but even then they will typically only cover the refund of the tickets, they won't pay the price difference (and let's face it, booking a new return like 3-6 days before is going to be super expensive).

That being said:
In my experience, even booking another airline may not yield the results you want. In my case, not only did Delta cease flights to/from CZM (except on Saturday), but within a matter of 3 months, AA and UA changed all their flight schedules so that *all* the flights out of CZM (it was our return that got whacked) were 2-day trips home (spend like 10 hours in IAH or DFW).

So I'd say be prepared for a "worst" case in that regard.

We ended up having to spend about an extra $100 and 3+ hours to get re-routed back through CUN.
luv2vacay is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 1:24 pm
  #33  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,078
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
I'm glad the situation is sorted for now, but I would keep a close eye on your reservations to make sure there are no more changes between now and then.
The chances of another change are probably low enough that Angie shouldn't need to lose any more sleep, but it is worthwhile checking the reservations every week or two (as one should always do anyway), just in case.
moondog, wrp96 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 1:51 pm
  #34  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,419
It is also worth confirming with the property that there are no additional charges. This can be a very nasty sticker shock on arrival and it is worth getting out of the way now if there is an issue.
javabytes likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 1:55 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Posts: 496
Originally Posted by luv2vacay View Post
I had something similar happen last year, but with Delta.

unfortunately travel insurance won't cover this as a covered reason (only airline default/bankruptcy) for Trip Cancellation.
IF you had started the trip (and they ceased service on your return flight), then *possibly* the Trip Interruption/Delay would kick in, but even then they will typically only cover the refund of the tickets, they won't pay the price difference (and let's face it, booking a new return like 3-6 days before is going to be super expensive).

That being said:
In my experience, even booking another airline may not yield the results you want. In my case, not only did Delta cease flights to/from CZM (except on Saturday), but within a matter of 3 months, AA and UA changed all their flight schedules so that *all* the flights out of CZM (it was our return that got whacked) were 2-day trips home (spend like 10 hours in IAH or DFW).

So I'd say be prepared for a "worst" case in that regard.

We ended up having to spend about an extra $100 and 3+ hours to get re-routed back through CUN.
Each travel insurance policy has its own terms, obviously.

But the types that we get have a specific "Trip Interruption" coverage that includes 150% of the original insured total, as they recognize that one might need to get higher priced last minute air tickets home, etc.
I'm NOT certain how, or even if, this situation would be covered (especially prior to departure, etc.), but I think we should find out!

Now, the problem with "awards travel", is that the total insured doesn't include anything for air, other than the relatively small change/re-bank fee if necessary. So that's not much help unless one has a hefty non-refundable hotel cost, which would have been the case here. So if one got stranded by something like this, or had to extend the stay to get the "new flight", presumably there would still be 50% "available" to cover the additional costs. Again, I'm not entirely sure how this would work, although we have inquired about a few other "what if's" when using award air tickets.

This is a slightly unusual situation, so we'd have called our travel insurance broker to ask "what to do"/ "which clause of our policy covers this"?

Also, there is always the "Cancel For Any Reason" (CFAR) type of rider, which does cost extra. For many third party policies, this will give 75% cash back if you cancel, or 75% of the unused portion for trip interruption. "No questions asked" about reason, but one does need to make the change/interruption something like outside 48 hours of the original departure date. (We can't figure out the reasoning for this, other than "just another reason to make a claim more difficult...)

GC
GeezerCouple is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 2:07 pm
  #36  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,615
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
BA didn't do it because they were being nice. They did it because EC261 required them to reroute you to another airline. In the US there is no regulation like EC261, unfortunately. So the OP really doesn't have a chance of AA rerouting them on another airline, especially on a points booking.
Well, or they could have taken a refund, but that is moot.

To the OP: do you have travel insurance?

Edit: Just read GeezerCouple's post, which I agree with. My travel insurance would have provided some coverage towards this. If you do have a policy, it os worth reading the fine print.

Ad a new FT member, you are limited to 5 posts per day, so PM people in case you have specific questions.

Last edited by LondonElite; Aug 8, 19 at 2:14 pm
LondonElite is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 3:07 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Well, or they could have taken a refund, but that is moot.

To the OP: do you have travel insurance?

Edit: Just read GeezerCouple's post, which I agree with. My travel insurance would have provided some coverage towards this. If you do have a policy, it os worth reading the fine print.

Ad a new FT member, you are limited to 5 posts per day, so PM people in case you have specific questions.
I spent the better part of an entire day reading travel insurance policies after this happened. I only found *one* that would cover this event as a covered reason for Trip Cancellation or Trip Delay/Interruption:
Berkshire Hathaway

And it was a flight-only policy (ironically the more expensive comprehensive coverage specifically would ONLY cover carrier default/bankruptcy). And the policy that *did* cover this limited coverage to $200/ticket (ie, if you're stranded and your only choice is say, on United, and it's $800 more than what you paid, tough, you're out $600).

Yes, a Cancel for Any Reason would cover you, but only 75% (typically, I've not seen one that has higher so far) of your non-reimbursed costs.

Note, that there is *one* exception I found in this case:
IF you were going on a cruise, and the airline cancelled your *flight* and/or ceased service and you would miss your departing Cruise, THEN some policies would pay to get you there.

But I have as of yet (except for Berkshire hathaway) to find a policy that covers "airline cancelled service to my arrival destination" as a covered reason for Trip Cancellation.
I'd love to find other companies that do offer this in the the US.
luv2vacay is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 3:31 pm
  #38  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,615
I can't speak for US policies, but the travel insurance bundled with my UK Amex provides GBP 300 per person, and my EUR Amex a similar amount. It's not perfect but as a bundled policy not bad.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 3:37 pm
  #39  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 82,560
Originally Posted by luv2vacay View Post
I spent the better part of an entire day reading travel insurance policies after this happened. I only found *one* that would cover this event as a covered reason for Trip Cancellation or Trip Delay/Interruption:
Berkshire Hathaway

And it was a flight-only policy (ironically the more expensive comprehensive coverage specifically would ONLY cover carrier default/bankruptcy). And the policy that *did* cover this limited coverage to $200/ticket (ie, if you're stranded and your only choice is say, on United, and it's $800 more than what you paid, tough, you're out $600).

Yes, a Cancel for Any Reason would cover you, but only 75% (typically, I've not seen one that has higher so far) of your non-reimbursed costs.

Note, that there is *one* exception I found in this case:
IF you were going on a cruise, and the airline cancelled your *flight* and/or ceased service and you would miss your departing Cruise, THEN some policies would pay to get you there.

But I have as of yet (except for Berkshire hathaway) to find a policy that covers "airline cancelled service to my arrival destination" as a covered reason for Trip Cancellation.
I'd love to find other companies that do offer this in the the US.
For $200, it would make more sense to self-insure rather than purchase such a policy.
Often1 and luv2vacay like this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 6:50 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Posts: 694
Glad that worked out for you Angie, hope it stays fixed. Now, did the other party coming out of Chicago have the same trouble, and were rebooked by AA as well?
daloosh is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:22 pm
  #41  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
They were able to reschedule but we were originally going to take the same flights from Chicago on and now they are taking a different route and will get in to grand cayman 2 1/2 hours earlier. We’re going to make them pickup the rental cars so they can pick us up when we fly in
JJeffrey likes this.
AngieB is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 9:49 am
  #42  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,179
Originally Posted by AngieB View Post
I contacted Wyndham, they told me I cannot modify the reservation. They said if I cancel, I need to pay 100% of the cost. There’s 11 of us going total (5 were booked on flights flying out of Chicago). So I got 2-2 bedroom suites at the resort. So I could be out over $5,000. I plan on calling the resort directly tomorrow (they are no longer open so I couldn’t talk to them directly).
How can you be out over $5000 if you change your flights a day? Or, just change to a different carrier or another routing. I don't see this as a reason to give up the entire booking
mvoight is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:23 am
  #43  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,078
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
How can you be out over $5000 if you change your flights a day? Or, just change to a different carrier or another routing. I don't see this as a reason to give up the entire booking
You're a little late to the party...

But yes, worst case, OP probably could have added a day or two at the beginning or end of the stay to match up with the flight, and then just check out early (or check-in late). I guess it would have cost ~$700 extra for a one-day "change". But clearly she was in panic mode at first.
ijgordon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread