Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lawsuit Against AA-- Mistreatment of Pregnant Passenger, Emotional Support Dog

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lawsuit Against AA-- Mistreatment of Pregnant Passenger, Emotional Support Dog

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
The FA should have put the mutt on the wing.
Not the dog. How bout the passenger.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes
I didn’t make it past the “Parties” section of the complaint. My eyes had enough after seeing them call American “United” and repeatedly flub principle vs. principal.
Don’t forget about the “advanced notice” Plaintiff provided to AA. Horrible grammar throughout - weakens an already pathetically weak case. And what is a “comfort animal” anyway?

Also, according to Wikipedia, Gramps is one of the wealthiest landowners in LA. He should’ve helped her hire competent counsel. It’s pretty clear which of the two attorneys wrote this.

Last edited by HofstraJet; Aug 9, 2019 at 1:07 am
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:33 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Also, according to Wikipedia, Gramps is one of the wealthiest landowners in LA.
Well, that inspired me to do some Googling. Very interesting and litigious family that includes arm merchants and a "celebrity" rabbi. I'm surprised that they fly commercial. Surely they could have found a competent lawyer to file this lawsuit if it had merit.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HofstraJet

Don’t forget about the “advanced notice” Plaintiff provided to AA. Horrible grammar throughout - weakens an already pathetically weak case. And what is a “comfort animal” anyway?

Also, according to Wikipedia, Gramps is one of the wealthiest landowners in LA. He should’ve helped her hire competent counsel. It’s pretty clear which of the two attorneys wrote this.
A reference to the family of the woman who is suing AA:

https://www.laweekly.com/arms-mercha...south-central/

I am not sure what the relevance of her family is to the lawsuit, other than to paint her as being a part of a cast of characters. Is it par for the course for adult grandchildren to ask their grandparents for advice on every little hiccup encountered in life and to use such hiccups as an excuse to ask for additional financial and other help in pursuing questionable litigation interests? Either way, there’s more than enough material to focus on the lawsuit itself and on the plaintiff without making the plaintiff’s family into the issue
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Thanks for the link - I started reading it but after a couple of paragraphs decided that I will wait for the movie
GUWonder, yabadoo, Matt4 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by GUWonder

I am not sure what the relevance of her family is to the lawsuit, other than to paint her as being a part of a cast of characters. Is it par for the course for adult grandchildren to ask their grandparents for advice on every little hiccup encountered in life and to use such hiccups as an excuse to ask for additional financial and other help in pursuing questionable litigation interests? Either way, there’s more than enough material to focus on the lawsuit itself and on the plaintiff without making the plaintiff’s family into the issue
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Thanks for the link - I started reading it but after a couple of paragraphs decided that I will wait for the movie
Hence my post from a few days ago

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Well ... if you've seen the movie, you'll understand the sensationalism and how they can afford to fly on paid J/F.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Dogs_(2016_film)
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Hence my post from a few days ago
^ - I'm waiting for the sequel. I'm more interested in the divorce subplot, the interplay of family relationships and the emotional turmoil existing in the family. Could go some way to our understanding of the grand-daughter's intense need for an ES animal.

Do we even know that the dog was an ESA and not a personal protection dog. Looking at the picture of the dog, it looks a lot more like an attack dog to me. Wasn't the grandfather on board the plane too? I mean with family like that in close proximity...…...
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by shaddie

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
The FA should have put the mutt on the wing.

Not the dog. How bout the passenger.

That is who he was talking about.
trooper likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:32 pm

That's what I thought too!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I too started reading a few paragraphs, but found I needed to take a shower ....
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I too started reading a few paragraphs, but found I needed to take a shower ....
Not a cold shower I hope
Old Aug 11, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: American Airlines
If she was an emotional wreck about flying, how will she deal with her soon to be newborn child?

Oh, dear.

The drama.

Gimmmmmmmmiiiiiieeeee money.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Reading the article and inferring the kind of wealth the family may have, I am surprised they even flew commercial. They could arguably easily have afforded to hire a private jet for the trip which would have alleviated the tender care the 87 year-old grandfather needed, the dog of course, and the plaintiff's comfort given her pregnant-heavy needs.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Talking

There's no mention anywhere in the lawsuit about cute, little Simba having any documentation from a medical provider to be considered an ESA or Service Animal. As mentioned previously, if the kennel wouldn't fit in the lav, then it probably would not fit under the seat as required. When the FA moved the dog to the lav, the passenger asked to remain nearby. That's not an involuntary downgrade. Also, why weren't any passenger witnesses included? Finally, I guess hubby had to make a decision between the anxiety-ridden wife and grandpa when deplaning. That's not the airline's problem.
Since the flight originated in Florida, I'm wondering if the state regulations regarding service animals would be applicable. Florida does not recognize ESAs. She was traveling to California which has even tighter restrictions. Was she breaking a state law with her actions?
American Airlines has some explicit requirements to use an ESA on a flight:

Forms required for travel
Emotional support / psychiatric service animals
You must complete, submit and receive approval of all 3 forms before your animal will be allowed to fly:
  • Medical / Mental Health Professional Form
  • Veterinary Health Form, or vaccination record with current rabies vaccination information
  • Confirmation of Animal Behavior Form
There's no inclusion of any of these forms in the exhibits. I would think these would be key evidence supporting the argument that the animal was cleared to fly. Assuming that the statements about the FA's actions are factual, I can almost sympathize with her dealing with another entitled passenger dragging a too-big kennel and cutesy dog on board the plane.

Reminds me of the time I had a flight on Delta with a guy quite literally dragging TWO Schnauzers on board the plane. He sat in the bulkhead row of coach with the dogs' squeaky toys telling everyone how the dogs needed to be comforted with the toys. I would have characterized him as an "HSA."
I ran into the flight crew while checking in at my hotel. It was an interesting conversation about what happened.

Last edited by GeorgeBurdell; Aug 12, 2019 at 9:48 am
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yabadoo
Reading the article and inferring the kind of wealth the family may have, I am surprised they even flew commercial. They could arguably easily have afforded to hire a private jet for the trip which would have alleviated the tender care the 87 year-old grandfather needed, the dog of course, and the plaintiff's comfort given her pregnant-heavy needs.
Even when able to easily afford to hire a private jet for a trip, it’s not always more convenient to do so than to take a scheduled common carrier flight. And some people consider scheduled common carrier flights to be safer than private plane trips and a safety/security measure of sort too. That said, why would anyone assume that this woman is flush with readily available cash to pay for as many private jet flights as she and/or her family can pay for scheduled common carrier premium cabin flights and that she would be willing to do so even if she had the means to do so? Having some relatives who are asset rich by some measure doesn’t mean that everyone in the family necessarily always has lots of liquid assets on hand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.