Canceled AA 1587 jfk phx

Old Aug 7, 19, 11:14 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Germany
Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Posts: 483
Canceled AA 1587 jfk phx

Hi community,
I'm on a flight from hel to jfk and then on to phx and just get a text from AA 4h ahead of schedule that my connection to phx has been canceled.
That means I will miss my extra flight to Vegas tonight and my hotel.
Does anyone have information why they canceled that flight? Jfk is calm.
Will I have 261 rights if it is due to the inbound phx plane being 5h late due to thunderstorm?
Thnx
Vasco Pridat is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 11:18 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 17,776
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat View Post
Hi community,
I'm on a flight from hel to jfk and then on to phx and just get a text from AA 4h ahead of schedule that my connection to phx has been canceled.
That means I will miss my extra flight to Vegas tonight and my hotel.
Does anyone have information why they canceled that flight? Jfk is calm.
Will I have 261 rights if it is due to the inbound phx plane being 5h late due to thunderstorm?
Thnx
I can't address the 261 applicability but did AA offer you auto re-route to LAS via ORD or DFW?
enviroian is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 11:35 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Germany
Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Posts: 483
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I can't address the 261 applicability but did AA offer you auto re-route to LAS via ORD or DFW?
That's a good call! Not so far as I'm still in the air approaching jfk.. And the phx las is a different ticket so they probably 'don't know' im connecting to Vegas. But that's a good idea to ask them after I immigrated and get my bag I was gonna walk to the flagship check in and see how they treat me. Thnx
Vasco Pridat is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 11:38 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 9,909
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat View Post
That's a good call! Not so far as I'm still in the air approaching jfk.. And the phx las is a different ticket so they probably 'don't know' im connecting to Vegas. But that's a good idea to ask them after I immigrated and get my bag I was gonna walk to the flagship check in and see how they treat me. Thnx
If the flight to LAS is on AA, then per policy AA should reaccommodate you all the way to LAS even on separate tickets. If the PHX-LAS flight is on another airline like Southwest, then they probably won't be willing to help you get anywhere but PHX.
wrp96 is online now  
Old Aug 7, 19, 11:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,063
Since the flight was cancelled agents will have a lot of flexibility, I would definitely push to be rerouted all the way to LAS even if your PHX-LAS segment was on another carrier. PHX and LAS are relatively close enough that it should be a viable alternative.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 12:03 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,226
Delays are starting to build due to scattered thunderstorms in the region. The weather map doesn't look awful (e.g., it's not a solid line of T-storms) so hopefully there will be enough flights getting out that OP can try to push for a routing to LAS. Agree that due to the cancellation agents will have flexibility, but the issue may be availability - I don't think there are too many options, especially from JFK at this point, and even LGA looks more or less shut out (AA probably zeroed out a lot of inventory, so reservations may have access to more alternatives).

You might consider a $400 insurance policy -- JetBlue's 7:46pm flight. Not sure whether they'll apply the 24-hour refund policy to a same-day purchase if you don't end up needing it (ETA - they won't), but something to think about. Of course JetBlue is notorious about cancelling flights as well so it may not help ultimately.

Presumably the AA flight was canceled in anticipation of weather, in which case I don't think it's eligible for EC261 delay compensation.

Last edited by ijgordon; Aug 7, 19 at 12:08 pm
ijgordon is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 12:15 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,226
Well the weather looks like it's taken a turn for the worse as a few t-storm cells move right through the city. 5+ hour arrival delays into JFK, and a ground stop until 3pm at LGA/EWR.
Here's the official cancellation notes on AA1587 from ExpertFlyer:
1JFK/FX CANCEL JFK -PHX -XEW-CXLD DUE TO PREVIOUS WEATHER RELATED CXLD*1010

This could get a bit ugly, but it's nothing out of the ordinary for summertime travel through NYC! Good luck OP!
ijgordon is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 12:29 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,236
Not looking good as the flights to CLT, DFW, ORD, and PHX (as well as several regional cities) are cancelled.

Personally, I'd recommend asking to get on the 8 PM flight to LAX (AA 300) which still has a few seats left. It won't get you to LAS tonight but will be much easier getting to LAS tomorrow from LAX.
C17PSGR is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 12:52 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Germany
Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Posts: 483
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
Not looking good as the flights to CLT, DFW, ORD, and PHX (as well as several regional cities) are cancelled.

Personally, I'd recommend asking to get on the 8 PM flight to LAX (AA 300) which still has a few seats left. It won't get you to LAS tonight but will be much easier getting to LAS tomorrow from LAX.
Lax would be great as they probably have a bed. I doubt they gonna do this. Haha.
Let's see. Just touched down.
Weather here is totally OK.
So it's hard for me to understand that I have to suffer because some where else are thunderstorm.. Know what I mean? How can they cancel a flight 4h ahead due to weather that is not on my route.? And then not pay compensation. That's a bit annoying.
Let's hope they will offer a good service.
Thnx for the input.
Vasco Pridat is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 12:58 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Germany
Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Posts: 483
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
Not looking good as the flights to CLT, DFW, ORD, and PHX (as well as several regional cities) are cancelled.

Personally, I'd recommend asking to get on the 8 PM flight to LAX (AA 300) which still has a few seats left. It won't get you to LAS tonight but will be much easier getting to LAS tomorrow from LAX.
I don't see any free seats in f or c on that.. So let's see.
Vasco Pridat is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 1:01 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,236
Well ... JFK has runway closure because of construction. There has been weather at JFK so the airlines haven't been able to get their planes in and are cancelling domestic flights, I suspect DL and B6 have the same problem. So, it is a JFK weather issue and we don't get compensation in the US for weather delays. It may be fine now at JFK, but it hasn't been.

This is from the FAA, so its not an AA thing:

"Due to WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS and WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving John F Kennedy International Airport, New York, NY (JFK). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 5 hours and 11 minutes.".

Looks like two seats just opened up on AA 306 to LAX connecting to AA 1763 to LAS. It leaves at 1700.

Unlikely they will have any J/C biz seats to LAX today.
C17PSGR is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 1:17 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,915
1. I would focus on a reroute i possible and then worry about EC 261/2004 delay compensation later.
2. Be armed with alternatives and ask for them in order. If there are large-scale cancellations, you may not get out, but you should be prepared. It looks as though there are connections via ORD, MIA, LAS, and CMH available. AA would certainly route you via LAX, but I would put that at the end of the list unless travelling in F/J (in which case it would be at the front of the list).
3. Whatever the reason for the delay/cancellation, you are entitled to a duty of care and if you are stuck at JFK, AA will likely issue you vouchers for a hotel & meals (or authorize you to find your own and send in receipts for reimbursements).
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 1:30 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,226
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat View Post
Weather here is totally OK.
So it's hard for me to understand that I have to suffer because some where else are thunderstorm.. Know what I mean? How can they cancel a flight 4h ahead due to weather that is not on my route.? And then not pay compensation. That's a bit annoying.
You should first arm yourself with facts before making statements like this. Here's the current radar map for the area. JFK is marked with the red "X". LGA is about where the "o" in "New York" is, while EWR is just below the "N". That big line of red across the lower-left? Airplanes can't fly through that. The airspace in the NYC area is normally very congested anyway, and when a significant number of routes are blocked off by storms, there just aren't enough left to send all the scheduled flights through, especially ones heading toward or coming from the west.
Attached Images  
steve64, Often1 and Vasco Pridat like this.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 1:32 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,236
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
1. I would focus on a reroute i possible and then worry about EC 261/2004 delay compensation later.
2. Be armed with alternatives and ask for them in order. If there are large-scale cancellations, you may not get out, but you should be prepared. It looks as though there are connections via ORD, MIA, LAS, and CMH available. AA would certainly route you via LAX, but I would put that at the end of the list unless travelling in F/J (in which case it would be at the front of the list).
3. Whatever the reason for the delay/cancellation, you are entitled to a duty of care and if you are stuck at JFK, AA will likely issue you vouchers for a hotel & meals (or authorize you to find your own and send in receipts for reimbursements).
OP has separate tickets to those issues largely don't apply.

No sure where you are seeing those connections but don't think its accurate.

Flights from JFK to ORD and CMH are cancelled. Flights to MIA are either cancelled or have no availability. Flight to LAS has no availability. Flight to CLT has no availability.

If OP wants to get to LAS tonight, the only option on AA is coach through LAX on AA 306
C17PSGR is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 1:34 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,243
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Delays are starting to build due to scattered thunderstorms in the region. The weather map doesn't look awful (e.g., it's not a solid line of T-storms) so hopefully there will be enough flights getting out that OP can try to push for a routing to LAS. Agree that due to the cancellation agents will have flexibility, but the issue may be availability - I don't think there are too many options, especially from JFK at this point, and even LGA looks more or less shut out (AA probably zeroed out a lot of inventory, so reservations may have access to more alternatives).

You might consider a $400 insurance policy -- JetBlue's 7:46pm flight. Not sure whether they'll apply the 24-hour refund policy to a same-day purchase if you don't end up needing it (ETA - they won't), but something to think about. Of course JetBlue is notorious about cancelling flights as well so it may not help ultimately.

Presumably the AA flight was canceled in anticipation of weather, in which case I don't think it's eligible for EC261 delay compensation.
24 hour refund is limited to tickets purchased 7 days or more in advance... Of course, due to the 5+ hour delay, it is possible that flight will be canceled, and you could get a refund

Last edited by mvoight; Aug 7, 19 at 1:53 pm
mvoight is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread