Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for AA and their 500 mile upgrades ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for AA and their 500 mile upgrades ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by robertablake
It seems like some flyers can readily use their 500 miles upgrade stickers
Who? Other than:
Originally Posted by ksweeney
My wife is Gold and always seems to be buying more 500 mile upgrades.
I'm also on the
"never get upgraded"
"have 60+ stickers" group.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Who? Other than:

I'm also on the
"never get upgraded"
"have 60+ stickers" group.
The most stickers I have ever had is 10. I had to pass on a likely upgrade in June from SDF-DFW because I was out of stickers. Fortunately that flight put me over the mark to get 4 so I won't have to do that again.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I'm Platinum and I get upgraded with stickers about 50% of the time, so they definitely can be used.
ORDbird likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL Gold, ANA Plat
Those were the days.....

Ah, yes. I do miss the days when I was mostly upgraded and, when not, had an exit row.
Fortunately, I fly very little anymore as I'd prefer to spend the time with our 6 year old.
I use the buku miles I have for returns from Japan in 1st.
It's better this way post merger.
ntamayo likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:04 pm

Unfortunately, I haven't yet pulled the trigger on splitting up our domestic PNR's (i.e. PLT+GLD on PNR1, GLD on PNR2) in the hopes of using up our stickers. The certainty of all 3 of us sitting in the same cabin takes precedence.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Fonsini
Ten 500 mile upgrades for a free checked bag ?
Twenty 500 mile upgrades for 5,000 miles ?
Fifty 500 mile upgrades for one guaranteed upgrade to First at time of booking ?

Do you think AA reads these comments, at this point I would trade all mine in for an extra bag of pretzels.
I have dozens sitting in my account from when I was an elite (which I no longer am with AA) that are just useless to me at this point. I would happily trade them in for pretty much anything.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by mvoight
I think the majority of people with 10 500 mile upgrades don't need another checked bag
In the old days some people, especially those residing abroad, were able to get miles for them.... I think 500 RDM for each "sticker"
Yes, it was 500 miles per sticker for non US residents who no longer travelled to the US. I recall my UK resident mother reaching an age when she couldn't manage long haul so AA compensated her for her stickers. Pretty sure that's all gone now.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
500 miles per sticker would be amazing - 27,000 miles into my account just like that, one mileage upgrade to Business on a transatlantic. Please American ?? Pretty please ???
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by ksweeney
I’m surprised that people are accumulating so many stickers. My wife is Gold and always seems to be buying more 500 mile upgrades. Maybe the fact that we fly out of a small airport means less competition for upgrades or her willingness to fly at non-peak travel times is working in her favor. For people accumulating large numbers of these, I think the ability to “trade up” to a higher status for a particular flight might provide a good usage.
I have 108
bosman and Fonsini like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Would it be so hard to treat these as a set of banked miles from which we could withdraw e.g. 783 miles for an upgrade on that 783 mile flight?

It's infuriating to burn two of these on a 520-mile flight, and as a lowly Splatinum I don't get comps over 500mi. So I only use them on flights close to a multiple of 500mi.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by Fonsini
500 miles per sticker would be amazing - 27,000 miles into my account just like that, one mileage upgrade to Business on a transatlantic. Please American ?? Pretty please ???
I totally forgot we could do this..... now I remember trading a lot of them in for RDM... and I'm at 98 again now, and rarely fly AA except once a year China to US when DL is too expensive, or it looks like a nice co-pay plus 25K miles upgrade is available.

I probably traded in 150 over the years for 500 RDM each?

Used to fly heavily SEA-NRT, SEA-NRT-TPE....really racked up the 500 mile stickers (they actually were paper stickers not all that long ago!)
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
I don't think we got 500 RDM per 500 mile sticker.... maybe 250?? It's so long ago, I can't find any emails about it.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Would it be so hard to treat these as a set of banked miles from which we could withdraw e.g. 783 miles for an upgrade on that 783 mile flight?

It's infuriating to burn two of these on a 520-mile flight, and as a lowly Splatinum I don't get comps over 500mi. So I only use them on flights close to a multiple of 500mi.
That would be great. My most common upgrade is DFW-SDF or vice versa. It is 733 miles, so essentially throwing away half an upgrade each time I upgrade.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
If you think a "500 mile" sticker has a fixed "cost" of 500 miles, you're going to be frustrated.

I routinely burn 2 stickers on flights of 589 miles; you have to burn 6 stickers on LAX-HNL, which is 2560 miles or so.

If AA magically set the bar as "600 mile" stickers, you'd immediately shift the kvetching to a new subset of flyers who routinely fly point to point at 6xx miles.

Keep kvetching enough, and AA will adopt UA's model - complimentary upgrades - so you can then start kvetching about how you're number 74 on the list for a 12-seat F cabin.

Face it: Upgrades are no longer how the airlines want to reward your "loyalty." You want an F seat...buy an F seat.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Free Agent
One sticker for a pre-departure drink (2 for a premium drink). 2 stickers for functional wifi (plus applicable charges). 3 stickers for a personalized call to the lounge when the rolling-delayed flight is actually about to leave. Lots of options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.