Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Sanity Check on Info from AA agent Please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sanity Check on Info from AA agent Please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
----------
If I'm understanding this correctly......used or not, a ticket (if it still has any value on it minus a penalty, if applicable), is simply a negotiable instrument. Can't see what origin and destination, whether international or domestic, have to do with anything. You have money in your pocket -- correction -- AA has your money --- on an AA (unused) ticket so AA should be applying the left over value -CREDIT to a new ticket - regardless of what two cities you want to fly between + and/or fees, taxes etc that will apply.
You are not understanding this correctly. An airline ticket is not cash.

It is a specific instrument governed by the rules agreed to when the ticket is purchased. Which includes rules about origin and destination, along with many others. They all apply.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
The Reissue Policies posted at the AA Travel Agency site indicate in general that changes to Country of Origin are permitted, so I'm not sure that the blanket statements being made here are the whole story. I would like to see the fare rule or AA policy that is governing this change.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
One thing I noticed back in my US Air days while living in Europe, was that international fares for the same flights on the same metal were significantly cheaper usually by about 30% for itineraries originating from Europe. Perhaps the reason that you can’t change these itineraries across international lines might be due to discounted fares offered in foreign markets and the potential to game the system. That said, I have no idea if AA still discounts flights originating in Europe or elsewhere to the USA.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jAAck
I worked with a client this year with a global footprint who was regularly changing itineraries and destinations at the last moment. Over the course of this year I've ended up with a half dozen partially used tickets. Trying to apply those tickets to new itineraries has mostly not been successful for the same reasons given to OP. Per the EXP and rate desks, International tickets cannot be applied against domestic itineraries. A ticket booked in one currency cannot be applied against a ticket booked in another currency. I found it was quite difficult to use a residual in most cases where I called in myself; there appear to be significantly different rules applied than with a simple domestic to domestic residual application.

That said, my corporate booking agency had much greater ability to leverage the residuals in ways AA said to me were not possible; e.g., applying the residual on an unused AMS-MIA return to a MIA-SFO ticket. I don't know if that's to do with the specifics of the corporate contract or if the agency simply knows how to manipulate the booking system. The corp agency was not, however, able to apply residuals across differing currencies.
The rule might be point of sale and not origin on the ticket. Some travel agencies leverage point of sale (a couple years ago AmEx was advertising it in the context of sometimes doing international RTs as two OWs to save money), perhaps if they have offices or affiliates in other locations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.