Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Systemwide Upgrades- Odds of Getting Upgraded and More Info

Systemwide Upgrades- Odds of Getting Upgraded and More Info

Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Why would one not do it this way? You don't even need to login to look at flight availability and seats – you certainly don't need to go anywhere close to actually booking anything.

But for someone without an expert flyer subscription, or even someone with one, this is by far the easiest to browse seat availability across multiple flights.
Because the OP is obviously very, very, very green about such things and is under 18. In NO event should he follow the advice of:
..start the process of booking a one-way in J
Unless you're going to direct him personally further in the do's and do-not-do's (as you started to do in your second post-- not being logged-in etc.) in doing same (which isn't a bad idea, if you choose to)-- way too easy for a brand-new, inexperienced, under-18-year old to get into the weeds "figuring it out." Put yourself in their mindset..

That's before one even gets into the subject of just how little of use looking at the business class seat map will actually tell him in this context.
JDiver and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by JonNYC; Aug 5, 2019 at 10:18 am
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA typically doesn't release upgrade space on a flight like this until around 24-48 hrs. before the flight. You will sometimes get an email notification however most of us on here just check your reservation at aa.com frequently in the days before the flight. If you happen to get an error message that's usually a good sign, call AA.

Also, AA47 is LHR-ORD (not DFW), and Aug 8 is Thurs (not Fri). But assuming you do mean AA47 on 8/8 then your chances are not very good. It's down to J2 (2 seats left for sale in business).

Here are the dedicated threads for this type of question for future reference:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
If you fly often, you might consider www.expertflyer.com to help you see what is available for sale, which is the best (but not perfect) way to check on your probability.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:25 am

Right now, 2 seats open in J, and oversold by one in premium economy.

In order to marginally increase your chances (and by a really small margin), it might be worth checking if it is still possible to upfare/upgrade to Premium Economy. They may allow one more oversale to balance out the open seats in J. If you are confirmed in premium, and premium is oversold, AND you have a instrument (i.e. Miles or SWU) waitlisted, then you WILL jump the queue of higher status passengers also wanting to upgrade that happen to be in Y instead of PE. They would rather upgrade you than downgrade a different PE passenger, and you will get priority over anybody wanting to upgrade in coach.

It's a big risk though, especially if the cost is more than $200 imo. If premium is not oversold then indeed all the pax in coach with higher status will skip right over PE and go into J ahead of you.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Right now, 2 seats open in J, and oversold by one in premium economy.

In order to marginally increase your chances (and by a really small margin), it might be worth checking if it is still possible to upfare/upgrade to Premium Economy. They may allow one more oversale to balance out the open seats in J. If you are confirmed in premium, and premium is oversold, AND you have a instrument (i.e. Miles or SWU) waitlisted, then you WILL jump the queue of higher status passengers also wanting to upgrade that happen to be in Y instead of PE. They would rather upgrade you than downgrade a different PE passenger, and you will get priority over anybody wanting to upgrade in coach.

It's a big risk though, especially if the cost is more than $200 imo. If premium is not oversold then indeed all the pax in coach with higher status will skip right over PE and go into J ahead of you.
I imagine it would take a pretty conscientious gate agent to process all this even though it logically makes the most sense. I imagine it would not be unexpected for them to instead OpUp the highest status PE flier in the highest fare class to balance out the overbooking?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.