Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any way for AA to waive my award flights LAX MCT? I can make it!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any way for AA to waive my award flights LAX MCT? I can make it!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by chuck1
I just hate the idea of sitting from 6:25am until the next non-stop at 1:21pm
Even if that time is spent in the QF F lounge? You and I have very different priorities. I actively try to maximise my connection time in LAX when arriving from Australia. But then I don't have a life.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Even if that time is spent in the QF F lounge? You and I have very different priorities. I actively try to maximise my connection time in LAX when arriving from Australia. But then I don't have a life.
7 hiurs in a waiting room at LAX sounds awful - regardless of how nice a lounge is
roberto99 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

It's a situation of me wanting to have it all.
I was booked on an award in QF F MEL-LAX / QF J LAX-JFK / AA F JFK-DCA.
Due to the MAX situation AA cancelled their JFK-DCA flight.
I'm willing to forgo QF LAX-JFK but QF MEL-LAX arrives 6:25am and AA to DCA deaprts 8:16am or 1:21pm. The only IAD option is 10:06pm. They use to have a day flight but it's gone. I guess because of the MAX problem.

Part of the reason I was interested in keeping this award is I wanted to try QF F on the A380.

And yes, travel agents can override the MCT. I've worked as one on SABRE, Worldspan and Apollo. I don't recall the first two - it's been a while - but with Apollo you try and end the transaction. You'll receive a warning about the minimum connection time and then you just end it again. Transaction goes right through.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You would not lose the misconnect protection
[if booking separate tickets that violate MCT]

Do we have solid info on how MCT factors into AA's separate-ticket protection? Various views have been stated here ("MCTs on separate tickets are meaningless", agreeing with JJeffrey) and here ("AA does protect across separate tickets where what would have been the MCT is met", disagreeing with JJeffrey).
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I know it's not what you asked but there are a lot of PP lounges at Lax (besides the very excellent QF first class lounge) so if you wanted to do a lounge tour you could get a bit of exercise walking and experience a few different (some nice some not so great) lounges
Oh and I've been in similar conditions about MCT and sometimes it's REALLY frustrating I totally agree.

It's a situation of me wanting to have it all.
I was booked on an award in QF F MEL-LAX / QF J LAX-JFK / AA F JFK-DCA.
Due to the MAX situation AA cancelled their JFK-DCA flight.
I'm willing to forgo QF LAX-JFK but QF MEL-LAX arrives 6:25am and AA to DCA deaprts 8:16am or 1:21pm. The only IAD option is 10:06pm. They use to have a day flight but it's gone. I guess because of the MAX problem.

Part of the reason I was interested in keeping this award is I wanted to try QF F on the A380.

And yes, travel agents can override the MCT. I've worked as one on SABRE, Worldspan and Apollo. I don't recall the first two - it's been a while - but with Apollo you try and end the transaction. You'll receive a warning about the minimum connection time and then you just end it again. Transaction goes right through.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Adding that even if I could get an agent to allow it, these partner awards have to go through a queue review and approved by a reservations/AAD Award Supervisor so it won't get past them.
On a side note, I've wondered how it works if it's the middle of the night and you need an partner award issued for immediate travel - like standing at the counter immediate - and that desk is closed.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:50 am

Adding that even if I could get an agent to allow it, these partner awards have to go through a queue review and approved by a reservations/AAD Award Supervisor so it won't get past them.
On a side note, I've wondered how it works if it's the middle of the night and you need an partner award issued for immediate travel - like standing at the counter immediate - and that desk is closed.
Phone an office in a country which is open
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:59 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I once had an Asia Miles redemption award where my CTS-HND/NRT-HKG connection fell 5 minutes below the required 210 minutes. AM tried to rebook me on an earlier CTS-HND but that meant leaving CTS one day early at the time and I told agent to keep the ticket as-is. Ticket was still valid for travel.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:40 am

Phone agent booked me a 1h 59min Int'l-Int'l connection in LAX which she didn't verify and sent it for ticketing. Processing was stopped after Queue Review flagged it. So 2 hr or bust. Nyet exceptions.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Phone an office in a country which is open
Even that isn't necessary. Was at LHR during the meltdown a couple weeks ago where BA left me high and dry and I needed to get out of there. Found Etihad F award space for last minute travel -- as in, I found space at 7AM BST for a flight at 9:30 AM BST that same day. Called the usual 1-800 EXP line and they were able to issue the ticket immediately even though it was 1AM in Dallas and the "normal" partner award desk was closed.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
What about MEL-SYD-DFW-DCA? You would still be on QF F on the A380, and since SYD-DFW is longer than MEL-LAX you get more time to enjoy QF F.

Last edited by Austin787; Aug 6, 2019 at 12:53 pm
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Austin787
What about MEL-SYD-DFW-DCA? You would still be on QF F on the A380, and since SYD-DFW is longer than MEL-LAX you get more time to enjoy QF F.
Sure, because life is just that kind that you would happen to find SYD-DFW F award space on the exact same day you've already scored a homerun with MEL-LAX F award space .
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Sure, because life is just that kind that you would happen to find SYD-DFW F award space on the exact same day you've already scored a homerun with MEL-LAX F award space .
Haha, yeah. AA made the schedule change, almost no way QF is going to open up space on a different flight. But OP has lots of alternatives on AA metal once he gets to LAX.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
7 hiurs in a waiting room at LAX sounds awful - regardless of how nice a lounge is
Well, if you plan it right, it could be made more than tolerable. In OPs scenario one could get to QF F lounge, have a glass or two of bubbly, take a few hour nap to get back to east coast time, have some lunch and fly on. I certainly wouldn't complain ( and I know this because I've done this, albeit to the central time zone) .
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Well, if you plan it right, it could be made more than tolerable. In OPs scenario one could get to QF F lounge, have a glass or two of bubbly, take a few hour nap to get back to east coast time, have some lunch and fly on. I certainly wouldn't complain ( and I know this because I've done this, albeit to the central time zone) .
Can take a nap whilst flying rather than spending 7 hours at the airport - it seems unlikely that there are no other routings

Take the QF flight to New York and spend the night there seems significantly more appealing - or just get a cab to LGA and take a flight from there to Washington

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.