Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Search engine cheapest to costliest doesn’t specify low is Basic Economy

Search engine cheapest to costliest doesn’t specify low is Basic Economy

Old Aug 4, 19, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Thumbs down Search engine fraud

When you search American Airlines for economy tickets from low too high on dollars only the basic economy tickets come out in that order. If you like me prefer to fly main cabin economy it is random how the prizes are listed and it don't follow the chosen low to hight order. Please be AWARE that after AA introduced basic economy you can not search from low to high in main cabin. As a frequent flyver this is an alarming development. The airline was trying to say that it was due to my browser and this is NOT the case. Which after explaining my case to the a supervisor she agreed. Please see attached screen shoots ....

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 4, 19 at 11:05 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Aug 4, 19, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
I don't think it's fraud, but I've found the sort options on that page to be very lackluster.
jerseytom and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
It is grey zone area but it is false advertised on their website why I use the word fraud, that you believe you purchase the cheapest ticket in all the categories listed when that is not the case. I have brought this to attention of the Consumer Protection Agency in New York. Let's see what they will say
SouthernCross and 355F1 like this.

Last edited by Lasse Lau; Aug 4, 19 at 6:54 pm
Old Aug 4, 19, 7:02 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Lasse Lau View Post
When you search American Airlines for economy tickets from low too high on dollars only the basic economy tickets come out in that order. If you like me prefer to fly main cabin economy it is random how the prizes are listed and it don't follow the chosen low to hight order. Please be AWARE that after AA introduced basic economy you can not search from low to high in main cabin. As a frequent flyver this is an alarming development. The airline was trying to say that it was due to my browser and this is NOT the case. Which after explaining my case to the a supervisor she agreed. Please see attached screen shoots ....

When I first glanced at the OP I thought you had a "the emperor has no clothes" moment and you would complaint for the $10k business fare, thank God you missed that, lol...
Old Aug 4, 19, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Lasse Lau View Post
It is grey zone area but it is false advertised on their website why I use the word fraud, that you believe you purchase the cheapest ticket in all the categories listed when that is not the case. I have brought this to attention of the Consumer Protection Agency in New York. Let's see what they will say
Hold your breath!
Old Aug 4, 19, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, DL PM, Marriott Plat Elite, Hertz Pres Circle, National Exec Elite
I think this is the primary reason why AA and United created the Basic Economy fare class. They don't actually want people booking at that fare (hence the numerous warnings before you continue to book); they just want fares for popular routes to appear above ULCCs.

Its a pretty crappy maneuver, IMO.
strickerj and 355F1 like this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I cannot see what the issue is - you ask for a search of prices from lowest to highest and it returns the prices in order of lowest to highest and somehow this is fraudulent since you dont want the lowest price , but a specific type of fare rather than the lowest
weibelt, rumboj, freeagent and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I cannot see what the issue is - you ask for a search of prices from lowest to highest and it returns the prices in order of lowest to highest and somehow this is fraudulent since you dont want the lowest price , but a specific type of fare rather than the lowest
It is perfectly reasonable for the OP to want the lowest non-basic fare. There is no way to search for that.

A similar issue is that when searching for awards, "Lowest price" gets you the flight(s) with the lowest economy award level, which may or may not be the same as the flight with the lowest PE or J award. There is no way to search for the latter in the new system that shows PE awards (of course, for now one can still use the old system to search for J).

I don't know about fraud, but certainly the new search seems designed to obfuscate and misdirect.
Antarius, deeruck, SK and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
You are getting the lowest fares when you search that way, they just don't happened to be in the booking class you want them to be.
This is a badly created app, not fraud.
kimberlyrose and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
It is perfectly reasonable for the OP to want the lowest non-basic fare. There is no way to search for that.
So , put another way, the person does not want the lowest fare, so searching for lowest fares seems logically not the way to go. It is reasonable for someone to want a more expensive offering, just unreasonable to complain that a search for lowest fare doesnt return it

I cannot see any way that this can be called fraudulent given that the search seems to be doing exactly as requested.
moondog likes this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 11:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The thread has been refilled to comply with the FlyerTalk Rules. The original thread title shows in the first post.

Fraud: wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
So , put another way, the person does not want the lowest fare, so searching for lowest fares seems logically not the way to go. It is reasonable for someone to want a more expensive offering, just unreasonable to complain that a search for lowest fare doesnt return it

I cannot see any way that this can be called fraudulent given that the search seems to be doing exactly as requested.
It isnt though. The lowest fare should be line number 3, but it shows line 1 since any price is lower than N/A as it ONLY looks at the BE column.

With no options to tailor the search, I would expect the 732 fare to show up first when sorting from Low to High.

That said, id chalk this up to AA.com just generally being ...... and not some intentional fraud.
deeruck and SouthernCross like this.
Old Aug 5, 19, 12:35 am

Programs: AA PPro. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
They do have "advanced search" options which allow you to show only biz/first fares - it would be nice if they gave you an option in that screen of "Main Cabin or Business/First."
wrp96 and Spiff like this.
Old Aug 5, 19, 6:45 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
It is showing you the fares from lowest to highest because it's focused on showing those for the Basic Economy tickets. If you clicked on the Main Cabin header, the fares would be sorted differently with either the third line showing now or another one lower in the list that is cheaper coming up to the top. It does not sort lowest fare amongst all fare types.
Old Aug 5, 19, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
That said, id chalk this up to AA.com just generally being ...... and not some intentional fraud.
I agree with this. It's pretty easy to see that the flights are sorted by the BE column. Very badly programmed for it to not sort by lowest fare across all classes. Many times I have wished to be able to click on the fare title to sort ascending, but generally have to scroll through the options.

Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post
If you clicked on the Main Cabin header, the fares would be sorted differently with either the third line showing now or another one lower in the list that is cheaper coming up to the top.
That doesn't work. It brings up the features of the class.
Antarius likes this.

Search this Thread