Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA says my device show you have no status - no free snack

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA says my device show you have no status - no free snack

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by phillieyogi
As the OP let me clarify as you seem to make me out the the bad guy. Yes I was in B and should have been in C, same row. My youngest son in A with same last name, my wife in "my seat" same last name. My older son in across aisle in D, same last name. If I ahd move to another row I completely understand and I am not a tyrant or snob expecting them to know that. When the FA was handing out snacks to my family I asked if I would get my free one. She said you don't have status according to my device. I showed her my valid EXP AA card on my apple wallet. Her reply was that is good but that is not what I show on my device for you. I will provide an exception for you but I should contact customer service and get it fixed. I too was giving benefit of doubt which is why I thought I would ask the community their opinion not on if I should complain but if this has ever happened and how did you fix it. I was not intending to be that obnoxious EXP member who complains to AA about the smallest thing. It was not big deal as I got my snack so why complain to AA, instead wanting to fix any potential computer glitch.
Did you tell the FA that you were in B but should be in C?

I'm honestly baffled how you would expect the FA to intuit that. No one is saying you're obnoxious—but the way to fix it is to communicate the obvious misunderstanding.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
If the FA was matching status to seat the OP's wife should have got a free snack, right?
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I guess I am not communicating it right. If the color shows then my wife should have been the right color. Moving from the aisle to the center I did not think was such a BIG deal people and such huge seat change and should have told the FA. Wow people here are a little rough considering I never was complaining about the FA. I have seen posts on this site such trivial items which they write emails to AA and I am being treated like I did some horrific thing of asking should I contact AA as the FA suggested I do that since that even my correct seat, where my wife sat was not as you say the right color but forget it. I give up and will blame myself for not informing the FA as obviously that is why the computer showed no EXP in the entire row where I was siting with my entire family that the VERY same row I was assigned and on my boarding pass with my EXP status. I give up.
flyalways likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I guess I am not communicating it right. If the color shows then my wife should have been the right color. Moving from the aisle to the center I did not think was such a BIG deal people and such huge seat change and should have told the FA. Wow people here are a little rough considering I never was complaining about the FA. I have seen posts on this site such trivial items which they write emails to AA and I am being treated like I did some horrific thing of asking should I contact AA as the FA suggested I do that since that even my correct seat, where my wife sat was not as you say the right color but forget it. I give up and will blame myself for not informing the FA as obviously that is why the computer showed no EXP in the entire row where I was siting with my entire family that the VERY same row I was assigned and on my boarding pass with my EXP status. I give up.
Dude. You need to back down, read through the thread and look at what information you've provided posters here. It's really important information here that your correct seat also didn't show as green on the device. Why get defensive when you didn't actually convey that information?
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
I give up and will blame myself for not informing the FA as obviously that is why the computer showed no EXP in the entire row where I was siting with my entire family that the VERY same row I was assigned and on my boarding pass with my EXP status. I give up.
I don't think anyone knows what the FAs screen showed. In all likelihood it showed your original issued seat as a seat with EXP status. But you asked for the snack and were not in said seat. Now IF the screen didn't show any status for your original seat then there was indeed a problem and you should reach out to AA. But based on the FA's less than professional reply to you then I would guess that said FA wasn't really thinking about how you were in a group and one of you was due a free food item. It's not a criticism of you at all. In fact the FA is the one that could have handled it better by diving deeper. But the answer to your original question seems to be more that it was a misunderstanding than an IT issue that needs to be addressed.

The laast time I was in economy the FA offered me a food item. I didn't want food but my partner did. I asked for the food item since I'm the EXP in the EXP seat and handed it to my partner next to me. A few seconds later the FA offered drinks and looked a little confused that the person next to me was eating my food ha ha. The FA had no idea we were traveling together.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: Global Entry
Originally Posted by MorganB
I don't think anyone knows what the FAs screen showed. In all likelihood it showed your original issued seat as a seat with EXP status. But you asked for the snack and were not in said seat. Now IF the screen didn't show any status for your original seat then there was indeed a problem and you should reach out to AA. But based on the FA's less than professional reply to you then I would guess that said FA wasn't really thinking about how you were in a group and one of you was due a free food item. It's not a criticism of you at all. In fact the FA is the one that could have handled it better by diving deeper. But the answer to your original question seems to be more that it was a misunderstanding than an IT issue that needs to be addressed.

The laast time I was in economy the FA offered me a food item. I didn't want food but my partner did. I asked for the food item since I'm the EXP in the EXP seat and handed it to my partner next to me. A few seconds later the FA offered drinks and looked a little confused that the person next to me was eating my food ha ha. The FA had no idea we were traveling together.
just wondering how many snacks can EXPs guest? does it matter if domestic vs international and is MEX an exception in this case too?
/s

Last edited by flyinggum; Aug 5, 2019 at 9:37 pm Reason: clarification added at the end
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by flyinggum
just wondering how many snacks can EXPs guest? does it matter if domestic vs international and is MEX an exception in this case too?

Not sure if you are asking how many can an EXP get or how many can an EXP's guest have? An EXPs travel companion does not get a free food item. An EXP get's one free food item and one alcoholic beverage. Routing does not matter.

From the AA website:

Complimentary food and drink in the Main Cabin

Have a snack and drink on us

Executive Platinum members traveling in the Main Cabin on board American Airlines and American Eagle® can enjoy a complimentary beverage from our standard alcoholic beverage selections as well as 1 snack. The snack includes any food item on our menu.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by MorganB
Not sure if you are asking how many can an EXP get or how many can an EXP's guest have? An EXPs travel companion does not get a free food item. An EXP get's one free food item and one alcoholic beverage. Routing does not matter.

From the AA website:Complimentary food and drink in the Main Cabin

Have a snack and drink on us

Executive Platinum members traveling in the Main Cabin on board American Airlines and American Eagle® can enjoy a complimentary beverage from our standard alcoholic beverage selections as well as 1 snack. The snack includes any food item on our menu.
However, if said EXP is in MCE, you can technically get "unlimited" alcoholic drinks (per FA discretion).

MorganB likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
If the OP usually travels in domestic F or international premium cabins that might explain some of the disconnect. In J or F the FA reviews the manifest to greet each pax by name and would therefore recognize two pax with the same last name in the same row. This would allow the FA to surmise Mr OP and Mrs OP swapped seats.

In the Main Cabin the FA device merely shows a color to indicate status when serving from the cart. They don’t usually greet you by name. Occasionally, yes, the crew will review the Main Cabin manifest to recognize ExP by name but this is the exception not the norm in my experience. So without being told you swapped seats, the FA has no reason to look at the names of the surrounding pax and guess at the seat swap among your family.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: Global Entry
Originally Posted by Segments
If the OP usually travels in domestic F or international premium cabins that might explain some of the disconnect. In J or F the FA reviews the manifest to greet each pax by name and would therefore recognize two pax with the same last name in the same row. This would allow the FA to surmise Mr OP and Mrs OP swapped seats.

In the Main Cabin the FA device merely shows a color to indicate status when serving from the cart. They don’t usually greet you by name. Occasionally, yes, the crew will review the Main Cabin manifest to recognize ExP by name but this is the exception not the norm in my experience. So without being told you swapped seats, the FA has no reason to look at the names of the surrounding pax and guess at the seat swap among your family.
does the name info show the title as well? like would they know if someone is a dr vs mr?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
It is very baffling why you are being so defensive about this. I once traveled with Mr. TravelLawyer - I sat in the window seat and he sat in the aisle seat. How would the FA know whether the middle seat person was a traveling companion of either myself (window) or Mr. TravelLawyer (aisle)? In my case, the middle seat occupant was a complete stranger to us and was NOT a part of our party. It's NOT a big deal that you switched seats with your wife - no one here is saying that at all. You just seem very confused why the FA could not figure out if you are an EXP or not, but it seems like an easy mistake to make considering you were not in the seat marked as an EXP and someone else was. Did the FA state she didn't show an EXP in the entire row? Because that's not what you said - you said she couldn't determine that YOU were an EXP. The FA also should not be expected to try to figure out if you swapped seats with someone else in your row or even if you even know the person sitting next to you.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
It You just seem very confused why the FA could not figure out if you are an EXP or not, but it seems like an easy mistake to make considering you were not in the seat marked as an EXP and someone else was. Did the FA state she didn't show an EXP in the entire row? Because that's not what you said - you said she couldn't determine that YOU were an EXP. The FA also should not be expected to try to figure out if you swapped seats with someone else in your row or even if you even know the person sitting next to you.
All this talk about OP failing to disclose that he swapped seats is a red herring. While swapping seats might have been confusing to the FA at first, and certainly disclosing that fact might have alleviated the confusion, as soon as the OP showed his EXP card, there should have been nothing more for the FA to figure out. OP met the requirements for the stated benefit and should have received said benefit. Period.
IggySD, flyalways and Geordie405 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by hbtr

All this talk about OP failing to disclose that he swapped seats is a red herring. While swapping seats might have been confusing to the FA at first, and certainly disclosing that fact might have alleviated the confusion, as soon as the OP showed his EXP card, there should have been nothing more for the FA to figure out. OP met the requirements for the stated benefit and should have received said benefit. Period.
According to the OP, the FA did provide the said benefit after showing ExP card. Question from
OP was regarding fixing the status not showing on the device.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hbtr

How does she know if card is valid or real? If you show up to gate, you cant show card and be upgraded. The system must show you as EXP. No different here. System correctly showed status. OP didn't bother to point out he switched seats. How hard is that?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Your silver Aviator MC would have ended the issue with $25.00 in free food. Pringles for all!
TWA884 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.