Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA says my device show you have no status - no free snack

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA says my device show you have no status - no free snack

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I think the OP should have disclosed in his opening post that he wasn't in his assigned seat and the FA goes off her manifest that denotes status but that being said I have switched seats many a times and it only takes a second to tell the flight attendant "hi, I'm enviroian, I was sitting in 7A but moved to C" and of course the flight attendant would normally acknowledge it right away.
The flight attendant's comment to the OP certainly wasn't helpful ("you should fix that").
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
One thing I’ve learned over decades of flying is that if it’s “not on the computer” it ain’t real to any airline employee. Also learned the hard way that “the computer is never wrong,” another rock solid tenet in airline world.

In OP’s position, I’d phone EXP desk and explain the situation just to ensure there isn’t some glitch in the system. Probably the problem was changing seats with a family member. The FA’s response was terse and not appropriate. Realizing that it’s not the FA’s job to sort out these issues or verify your EXP status, the response was poor, and not unexpected from from AA FAs who rarely seem to enjoy their work.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by enviroian
I think the OP should have disclosed in his opening post that he wasn't in his assigned seat and the FA goes off her manifest that denotes status but that being said I have switched seats many a times and it only takes a second to tell the flight attendant "hi, I'm enviroian, I was sitting in 7A but moved to C" and of course the flight attendant would normally acknowledge it right away.
The flight attendant's comment to the OP certainly wasn't helpful ("you should fix that").
Yeah, I agree here. The fact that the OP didn't mention in his post that he switched seats is a game changer to this situation. If he did mention it to the FA then that's a bit different. I do this with my wife all the time. I typically book a middle seat and have her book the aisle so that in the case where we decide to split up for an upgrade (and I give it to her) I'm not stuck in the middle. I usually just mention when ordering that I switched seats. Never had a problem.

I could even see where the FA is almost proving a point that OP failed to mention that he switched seats. Seems like this could have easily been resolved by mentioning that.
LINDEGR, skylady and TWA884 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:29 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by phillieyogi
I posted this thread because I wanted to know if it was even worth contacting the airline. Yes my FF# was on the boarding pass and four of us on one record were traveling together. I know this too because I was group 2 and the rest of the family was 5. I was one seat over from my assigned seat as I gave my wife the aisle and I took the middle so don't think it was that either. I will wait for my next trip and see if it happens again.
Emphasis mine. And should probably be the end of the thread.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by econ
Gotta hand it to the FA for the audacity to add that one-liner in there. Other than the other good advice that others have mentioned, I probably wouldn't call anyone unless you find this to be a recurring issue.
Its that going for great touch that was so necessary in this situation.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Yeah, I agree here. The fact that the OP didn't mention in his post that he switched seats is a game changer to this situation. If he did mention it to the FA then that's a bit different. I do this with my wife all the time. I typically book a middle seat and have her book the aisle so that in the case where we decide to split up for an upgrade (and I give it to her) I'm not stuck in the middle. I usually just mention when ordering that I switched seats. Never had a problem.

I could even see where the FA is almost proving a point that OP failed to mention that he switched seats. Seems like this could have easily been resolved by mentioning that.
If you read the whole exchange, I do not think seat exchange was an issue. If that was the issue, the FA could have said that
you are in a different seat or something to that effect. FA specifically said, she is making an exception for OP. If seat exchange
was the issue, then did the FA offer snack to the person that OP swapped with ? OP would know since he was sitting next to
his original seat....

This is clearly an indication of the tablet not having correct information and is an IT issue IMHO !
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by olouie
Doggie needs all the snack revenue he can get.
Not sure if you intended to type "Doggie" or not, but it works!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by flyalways
If you read the whole exchange, I do not think seat exchange was an issue. If that was the issue, the FA could have said that
you are in a different seat or something to that effect. FA specifically said, she is making an exception for OP. If seat exchange
was the issue, then did the FA offer snack to the person that OP swapped with ? OP would know since he was sitting next to
his original seat....

This is clearly an indication of the tablet not having correct information and is an IT issue IMHO !
The issue here is you are making assumptions, that aren't necessarily clear in the OP. There is missing information and without clarity from the OP then we don't know what really happened.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
And, as I've said before in other threads, without having heard the FA ourselves, it's tough to say if or how in the wrong she was. I tend to get everyone the benefit of the doubt unless there's clear evidence to the contrary.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The OP did not bother to mention in the OP and apparently never told the FA that he had switched seats. Without doing so, it is unreasonable to expect FA's who have an entire cabin to serve, stop and start searching the e-manifest in order to determine whether some random passenger is entitled to a freebie bag of chips or somesuch.

This was perfectly good service for Y on what was presumably a domestic flight. If OP was not in his assigned seat, it was on OP to advise the FA at the time he asked for his freebie. Not that much to ask and a reasonable expectation that the FA should not have to look further than the seat number when asked.
LINDEGR, skylady and Uzzar like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver
As the OP let me clarify as you seem to make me out the the bad guy. Yes I was in B and should have been in C, same row. My youngest son in A with same last name, my wife in "my seat" same last name. My older son in across aisle in D, same last name. If I ahd move to another row I completely understand and I am not a tyrant or snob expecting them to know that. When the FA was handing out snacks to my family I asked if I would get my free one. She said you don't have status according to my device. I showed her my valid EXP AA card on my apple wallet. Her reply was that is good but that is not what I show on my device for you. I will provide an exception for you but I should contact customer service and get it fixed. I too was giving benefit of doubt which is why I thought I would ask the community their opinion not on if I should complain but if this has ever happened and how did you fix it. I was not intending to be that obnoxious EXP member who complains to AA about the smallest thing. It was not big deal as I got my snack so why complain to AA, instead wanting to fix any potential computer glitch.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The problem is there was no computer glitch. You never told FA you switched seats. FA cant randomly guess that you switched seats. You made a mistake not telling her you moved. If you had she'd have seen you were EXP. 100% on you, not the computer, not AA, and not the FA.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
I would fix it in flight by showing the FA my boarding pass with my correct seat assignment and explain that you switched seats with spouse. Showing your ExP card does not explain why your status is not attached to the seat you ended up in. At that point the FA can see your spouse’s seat showing your status and give you your free snack.

Without explaining the seat switch to the FA, you don’t really know if your status didn’t properly reflect in their handheld. Since your boarding pass accurately reflected status I suspect FA didn’t register the false status for your spouse’s seat. (since the seat swap wasn’t mentioned). FA may have assumed you both held ExP status.

estnet likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: Global Entry
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Are you 100% sure you were in the right seat? Did you have the GA change seats at the last minute? Did you change your seat in the app right before boarding or anytime the same day of the flight?
#sherlockholmes
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by phillieyogi
As the OP let me clarify as you seem to make me out the the bad guy. Yes I was in B and should have been in C, same row. My youngest son in A with same last name, my wife in "my seat" same last name. My older son in across aisle in D, same last name. If I ahd move to another row I completely understand and I am not a tyrant or snob expecting them to know that.
The device displays a seat map with color coding. The colors indicate status. The FA can look deeper and see the name to greet you but they don't always do that. Basically it was a misunderstanding. FA looks at device, doesn't see status in your seat and responds accordingly. You think FA should know that you have possibly moved as your family is around you. FA doesn't dive deeper by asking your name or if you've moved seats and you don't inform her of said move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.