Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is AA Overcharging YQ on BA Award Tickets? (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Hi, fellow flyers! I am trying to use AA miles to book the following BA flights:
FCO-LHR: BA551, Economy
LHR-SFO: BA287, Business

AA shows $282.70 carrier-imposed fees:

Then I checked the flights on AS website and it only has $97.40 carrier imposed surcharge:

I heard AA is notorious for overcharging YQ. Do you think it is the case here? Should I call AA and ask them to manually adjust the YQ for me?

Thanks in advance for any comments!
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
BA is notorious over charging YQ. AA is required to collect it on AA awards using BA. Avoid BA, you avoid the problem. But the YQ shown here seems pretty typical, or even low for Club World, to me. And sometimes once the YQ is included, a host of other fees get added on - not because of the airline, but because of the YQ.

See Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it (where this is likely to be merged)

and

AA admits improperly charging YQ surcharge on BA flights ex- HKG

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 2, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just doing a check on BA's carrier surcharge for FCO-SFO in business class and it is indeed $282.70 . AA is charging the correct amount

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.