Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Schedule change forces misconnect on ba-aa award ticket (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa lifetime platinum

I’m headed lhr to lax via Houston and the flight to lax time was changed so that I cannot possibly make the connection. The app tells me only that there is a schedule change and I need to check back
The are in business class on BA and fiest on AA

Should I be proactive and call aa .they issued the tix on an AA award? What can I reasonably accept or ask for ?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Find the best routing for you. Then call up AA and ask for that routing. They'll likely put you on AA metal, probably on the nonstop LHR-LAX.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by marbles dad
I’m headed lhr to lax via Houston and the flight to lax time was changed so that I cannot possibly make the connection. The app tells me only that there is a schedule change and I need to check back
The are in business class on BA and fiest on AA

Should I be proactive and call aa .they issued the tix on an AA award? What can I reasonably accept or ask for ?
Yes, definitely call, but research the best routing for your needs before calling in.
MSPeconomist and GUWonder like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As an AA AAdvantage award do exactly as ntamayo recommends.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
There’s no award space at all so they would be willing to open up inventory?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:19 pm

Yes, AA should be able to release revenue seats for your routing (bolding mine):
Involuntary Award Changes / What To Do (merged threads)
AA's legal obligation ends at redepositing all the AAdvantage miles used and refunding all taxes and carrier imposed charges. But in actuality, AA will generally try to help in these cases. AA can:

1)!Move you and your companions to other flights operated by American Airlines, regardless of whether there is award availability or not, or whether it's the same routing or not. Usually an agent will do this by calling Revenue Management to request revenue seat release to award seats.

2) Have the AA Liaison contact the originally scheduled airline to request they release revenue seat(s) to awards on suitable flights. This generally requires 72 hours (three working days), excluding holidays, weekends, etc.

3) Redeposit your miles free of charge and refund fees and taxes you were charged.

Some agents are more knowledgeable and/or willing to assist you. In cases where they aren't, you can request speaking to a Supervisor, or hang up and call again so you can speak to another agent.
MSPeconomist and JDiver like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by marbles dad
There’s no award space at all so they would be willing to open up inventory?
This is an involuntary change, you are entitled to reasonable changes regardless of currency you used purchasing your tickets.
In other words, a competent agent should accommodate you regardless of award inventory availability. If they give you push back, HUCA and remind them its their schedule change, not yours.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
As a bonus, if they reroute you on AA metal, I believe you should get your BA surcharge back.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
And you can request ORC for LHR-IAH-LAX
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by reeg2
And you can request ORC for LHR-IAH-LAX
It's an award, so ORC is not applicable
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
As a bonus, if they reroute you on AA metal, I believe you should get your BA surcharge back.
Yes but it’s crucial to ask the agent as it’s not a checklist item and isn’t automatic. If missed, it can be handled in any subsequent call as well.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
It's an award, so ORC is not applicable
Indeed, when ferrying the little enpremieres around to their various activities by car I always make a point to ask Mrs. EnPremiere for original routing credit when she asks me to deviate, only to be met by the same answer:

Not applicable to this itinerary, pound the sand.

Sigh.... yet another reminder that the make believe world of AAdvantage really isn’t real.

PS: Oddly enough there are instances where an AA award redemption on a BA short haul segment has accrued AA RDMs following the flown segment even though there was no actually dollar fare basis but this seems more like a reporting glitch between BA and AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.