Ignoring minimum connecting time

Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No - It is more ridiculous that in the US, the airlines are allowed to get away with not providing accommodation et al
Why should they provide a hotel room if weather is responsible?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mvoight
I think the type of "weather" delay matters. Although an airline has no control over the weather or ATC flow control measures, it does have control over its schedule, gates, etc. AA in particular has a frustrating habit of citing "weather" whenever possible, even when a mechanical or technical problem is also a cause of the delay. Sure, if both AA and the pax are completely blameless for the delay, maybe the pax should bear the cost (even though, as a general matter, AA should be in a better position to bear such costs). But when the pax is 0% at fault and AA is at least partially responsible (even a little bit), I don't see why the pax should bear the cost.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Colin
if one can't afford his own hotel & incidentals during a misconnect, then he can't afford the trip

it's pretty crazy the airlines ever have to subsidize passenger's trip expenses - weather happens, parts break
I hope you dont work for an airline, or sell any goods or services for that matter.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
Because not all individuals can afford unexpected costs, but the airline can spread the cost among millions of people. It's like insurance; unexpected costs that are high for individuals are low when averaged among large numbers of people.

There's no other industry where the customer randomly pays extra for 'acts of god'. If you buy a car, they don't tell you that you have to pay more than someone else because a storm interrupted delivery of your car. If you're at a restaurant, they don't tell you the bill is higher today because there was a power outage. Instead, the quoted price includes the cost of such random occurrences.

Yes, I know, they say people want low ticket prices. But actually airlines maximize their profits by not 'self-insuring' against unexpected costs but passing them on to passengers.
btonkid12345 and AAdamE like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Colin
if one can't afford his own hotel & incidentals during a misconnect, then he can't afford the trip

it's pretty crazy the airlines ever have to subsidize passenger's trip expenses - weather happens, parts break
Hi there, never said I couldn't afford a hotel, and I understand that the airline is responsible for weather related incidents. I would normally not bat an eye as I have trip insurance on my CC, but since this was booked with paper vouchers that would not apply. Thanks for suggesting that I am unprepared and entitled though
T. Sanderson likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Misconnecting in HKG will be a night and day different experience than your average misconnection in the US.

At HKG, for a late arriving AA flight there will be multiple AA and CX agents meeting the flight providing genuinely helpful assistance. Most all misconnecting pax will have already been rebooked, the agents will have new boarding passes in hand, in addition to hotel vouchers and instructions for anyone that now requires an overnight. They will take care of you.
WOW. I guess I was expecting to finding an obscure customer service center in a large airport after a 16 hour flight.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Because not all individuals can afford unexpected costs, but the airline can spread the cost among millions of people. It's like insurance; unexpected costs that are high for individuals are low when averaged among large numbers of people.

There's no other industry where the customer randomly pays extra for 'acts of god'. If you buy a car, they don't tell you that you have to pay more than someone else because a storm interrupted delivery of your car. If you're at a restaurant, they don't tell you the bill is higher today because there was a power outage. Instead, the quoted price includes the cost of such random occurrences.

Yes, I know, they say people want low ticket prices. But actually airlines maximize their profits by not 'self-insuring' against unexpected costs but passing them on to passengers.
isn't the better analogy expecting Metro to pay for an Uber when the bus breaks down?
trooper likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

If the storm interrupts you car delivery the dealer doesn't pay for your hotel room.
If a storm interrupts your car trip, GM doesn't pay for your hotel room
I don't quite understand your analogy. Yes, the airline could spread the cost, and then you would be paying more for plane tickets.
I'd rather self insure for weather.
IAHtraveler and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Just find something you are more comfortable with and call AA. to the person with the shorter connection in HKG, you can make connections very quickly in HKG, one of the best cities for that!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I wouldn’t be comfortable with a 38 minute MCT and whenever AA changes my flights resulting in a tight MCT, I call and get different flights. I actually enjoy a relaxing layover of a few hours in the lounge or just getting some exercise walking around the terminal since all of my flights are transcons and long haul internationals. I really hate the stress of having to rush to make a boarding call. They start boarding at least 30 minutes before departure and with a 38 minute connection, even in the best of circumstances at a major multi terminal airport you are seriously pushing it.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

Actually, Insurance does just that. If your car is damaged by hail stones or by a tree that falls on it, you're on the hook for the deductible - provided you have coverage at all (i.e., comprehensive).

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Aug 6, 2019 at 11:53 pm
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Actually, Insurance dos just that. If your car is damaged by hail stones or by a tree that falls on it, you're on the hook for the deductible - provided you have coverage at all (i.e., comprehensive).
Yeah, OK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.