Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mandatory Gate Check with Envoy Air E175?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, National EE, HH Diamond

I have been on some AA flights on smaller commuter jets recently where they have required all roller boards to be plane side checked. Does anyone have any recent experience with Envoy Air E175 flights? I have a tight connection in DFW where the inbound flight is on a E175 operated by Envoy Air and would prefer not to have to wait for the bag to be retrieved.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If your bag fits in the overhead simply take the red tag and place it in your pocket. I've done that a couple of times with a shoulder bag.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Think of it like mainline flights with carry ons. Only checking required for bags over the size limits or when the bins fill.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:54 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
E175 will take roller bags which fit in the sizer.

The CR200, CR 700 & CR900 require valet check for anything with a wheel on it.
Spiff, CPRich and atbPy like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, National EE, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nyc6035
E175 will take roller bags which fit in the sizer.

Thank you! That's what I needed to know.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Also note that the E175 can quickly run out of space as rollers have to go in sideways instead of wheels first in the economy section. Board as early in the process as you can.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
If your bag fits in the overhead simply take the red tag and place it in your pocket. I've done that a couple of times with a shoulder bag.
This topic has come up many times – some of AA's commuter carriers have operating certificates that forbid them from having wheeled rollaboards in the cabin. For these airlines it doesn't matter how small your wheeled bag is it must be valet-checked ... as well as also being the case that your non-wheeled (shoulder) bag can be as large as you like as long as it fits somewhere in the cabin. The requirement to valet check can be not about whether it fits, but about whether the operating certificate for that airline and that plane permits it.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by asf-07
Also note that the E175 can quickly run out of space as rollers have to go in sideways instead of wheels first in the economy section. Board as early in the process as you can.
Yup -- I've heard announcements recently that they hard-count 25 rollers and force check any after this
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
This topic has come up many times – some of AA's commuter carriers have operating certificates that forbid them from having wheeled rollaboards in the cabin. For these airlines it doesn't matter how small your wheeled bag is it must be valet-checked ... as well as also being the case that your non-wheeled (shoulder) bag can be as large as you like as long as it fits somewhere in the cabin. The requirement to valet check can be not about whether it fits, but about whether the operating certificate for that airline and that plane permits it.
Can you elaborate or share why? The overhead bins are a standard size and wheels or no wheel, that isn't the determining factor in weight.

Why would an AOC determine the use of wheeled bags?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Antarius
Can you elaborate or share why? The overhead bins are a standard size and wheels or no wheel, that isn't the determining factor in weight.

Why would an AOC determine the use of wheeled bags?
I have no idea why, but an FA 3-4 years ago showed me the AOC and it clearly stated no wheeled bags in the overhead bins. It didn't give the reason of course. I would assume it would be related to the airline's training plans, staffing levels, etc etc. I agree it makes little sense, but I had made such a fuss that the FA felt she had to prove to me that she wasn't being willful, but was following her rules.

It was on a CLT-ALB flight.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by nyc6035
That's true for some regional carriers but not all.
For example, it is a requirement for PSA. But there is no such requirement for Sky West.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Great idea by AA - outsource everything to operate under your single brand, but don't standardize anything for consistent experience.
Going for GREAT!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I guess I missed the discussion about "wheeled" carryons, but I do agree that the customer experience should be as consistent as possible across aircraft.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Great idea by AA - outsource everything to operate under your single brand, but don't standardize anything for consistent experience.
Going for GREAT!
In the case of wholly owneds, sure, but it would be pretty tough to have absolute parity with their other regionals that also operate on behalf of other carriers.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:34 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
That's true for some regional carriers but not all.
For example, it is a requirement for PSA. But there is no such requirement for Sky West.
Interesting....being east coast based, I don't see many Skywest planes out this way. Thanks for the clarification/correction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.