FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   "Lavatories cannot be used below 16k feet on this plane"??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1980327-lavatories-cannot-used-below-16k-feet-plane.html)

Elola Jul 26, 2019 5:52 pm

"Lavatories cannot be used below 16k feet on this plane"???

Currently on AA1311 and tried to use the lav after boarding (no restroom near gate) and was told by an FA, "the lavatories on this plane don't work under 16k feet, you can't use it, there should have been an announcement at the gate." There was no announcement and I've been on plenty of 737-800s before that haven't had this restriction. Is this crew just petty and full of BS?

I don't fly American a whole lot, but have each of the past few weeks due to work trips to DFW, CLT and MIA, but I'll keep connecting through ATL or ORD and stick with DL/UA if this is SOP.

Exec_Plat Jul 26, 2019 6:08 pm

Never heard of such a thing.

Id probably have ignored the FA. But I'm a troublemaker.. ;)

Drwaz99 Jul 26, 2019 6:09 pm

Quite possibly they aren't BSing you. There are a few threads around here about it. Not exactly sure for 738's but it may be similar.

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta (Post 29417491)
They weren't B-S-ing you...differential pressure is what drives the flushing of the toilets on many airplanes. On the ground (or below 16,000 feet for the A320), you dont have enough of a differential pressure so a vacuum generator is used on the A320 to produce the required pressure differential. In this case, it sounds like the vacuum generator was inop, but once you reach 16000 feet (according to Airbus for the A320 family aircraft), the 'normal' differential pressure would be enough to enable the toilet to flush...

http://www.smartcockpit.com/docs/A32..._and_Waste.pdf

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...-000-feet.html

Elola Jul 26, 2019 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Drwaz99 (Post 31346916)
Quite possibly they aren't BSing you. There are a few threads around here about it. Not exactly sure for 738's but it may be similar.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...-000-feet.html

I just can't believe that. We're now in a tarmac delay due to weather (thunderstorms in MIA have caused the ramp to close), after which point the pilot has said catering still needs to service the plane before we can depart. Airlines are required to provide working lavatories during tarmac delays, I find it hard to believe the FAA would certify a plane that is physically incapable of providing a working lavatory on the ground.

bse118 Jul 26, 2019 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Elola (Post 31346863)
Currently on AA1311 and tried to use the lav after boarding (no restroom near gate) and was told by an FA, "the lavatories on this plane don't work under 16k feet, you can't use it, there should have been an announcement at the gate." There was no announcement and I've been on plenty of 737-800s before that haven't had this restriction. Is this crew just petty and full of BS?

I don't fly American a whole lot, but have each of the past few weeks due to work trips to DFW, CLT and MIA, but I'll keep connecting through ATL or ORD and stick with DL/UA if this is SOP.

Why assume that the crew is giving you BS? Why assume it is SOP? When the most logical explanation is a mechanical fault with the particular aircraft?

I've been on flights where the lavs were inop on the ground and below a certain altitude because the system used to flush is based on pressure, which doesn't work on the ground, and the vacuum system normally used on the ground was broken.

Elola Jul 26, 2019 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 31346913)
Never heard of such a thing.

Id probably have ignored the FA. But I'm a troublemaker.. ;)

He has the lavs physically locked. Now, I could easily pop the plate and unlock them, but not worth the fight. Though I would love to be deplaned right now, at least there are restrooms in the terminal.

AeRoSpaceman Jul 26, 2019 6:39 pm

I have seen these stories on FT and they are all strange to me. I have flown just as many aircraft types/carriers as the rest of you and not once have I ever seen this happen IRL. There are "always" people using the lav before door close on most aircraft. This just doesn't make sense to me. Even the Mad Dog can "flush" on the ground..

Elola Jul 26, 2019 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by bse118 (Post 31346933)
Why assume that the crew is giving you BS? Why assume it is SOP? When the most logical explanation is a mechanical fault with the particular aircraft?

I've been on flights where the lavs were inop on the ground and below a certain altitude because the system used to flush is based on pressure, which doesn't work on the ground, and the vacuum system normally used on the ground was broken.

If the FA had explained that on the initial request my response would have been different. Instead, he simply said that the lavs couldn't be used on the ground as if that was normal and expected, hence my inquiring if it's SOP at AA. They have finally allowed people to deplane to use the restrooms.

Bay Area Blue Jul 26, 2019 7:03 pm

737-NG’s have a vacuum system to pull waste to a tank in the back. Below a certain altitude (13K if I recall correctly), a blower motor is used to create the vacuum. Above that altitude, the difference in pressure between the outside and pressurized cabin creates the vacuum. Sounds like the vacuum blower motor was INOP and it is acceptable for it to be per the MEL (Minimum Equipment List).

Lomapaseo Jul 26, 2019 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bay Area Blue (Post 31347033)
737-NG’s have a vacuum system to pull waste to a tank in the back. Below a certain altitude (13K if I recall correctly), a blower motor is used to create the vacuum. Above that altitude, the difference in pressure between the outside and pressurized cabin creates the vacuum. Sounds like the vacuum blower motor was INOP and it is acceptable for it to be per the MEL (Minimum Equipment List).

NIce scientific answer. So why does the passenger care about what goes on below deck. Can't they still take a whizz in the commode anyway?

C17PSGR Jul 26, 2019 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo (Post 31347182)
NIce scientific answer. So why does the passenger care about what goes on below deck. Can't they still take a whizz in the commode anyway?

because if that answer is correct, it won't flush on the ground

AeRoSpaceman Jul 26, 2019 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 31347216)
because if that answer is correct, it won't flush on the ground

Then why wasn't the OP told the lav is INOP below 16K feet because of a MX issue, not that you cannot use the lav on this aircraft below 16k feet because that is how it was built? That makes a world of difference. Was this announced thru the PA system for the kettles in back who tried to use the lav as well and did they experience the same response? This whole thing sounds like a MX issue that was not told to passengers.

skylady Jul 26, 2019 9:04 pm

It's up to the CA to explain maintenance issues

bse118 Jul 26, 2019 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman (Post 31347270)
Then why wasn't the OP told the lav is INOP below 16K feet because of a MX issue, not that you cannot use the lav on this aircraft below 16k feet because that is how it was built? That makes a world of difference. Was this announced thru the PA system for the kettles in back who tried to use the lav as well and did they experience the same response? This whole thing sounds like a MX issue that was not told to passengers.

OP was told that the lav on this plane did not work below 16K ft. Which was a true statement.

OP choose to interpret it as this is how it was built.

It was a MX issue.

It happens. No need to make a huge deal of it, IMO.

fotographer Jul 26, 2019 9:41 pm

Great now I have to use the bathroom
thanks FT