Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Lavatories cannot be used below 16k feet on this plane"???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Lavatories cannot be used below 16k feet on this plane"???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by bse118
Why assume that the crew is giving you BS?
Because unless the lavs on that particular aircraft were broken (in which case, perhaps it should have been taken out of service), it was nonsense. I have used lavs numerous times both before pushback and after landing without either probs or complaints from cabin crew.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: SQ & QF
So it turns out they are not taking the piss after all?
Twickenham and AlisonB84 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Why assume that the crew is giving you BS?
Experience.

Any veteran flyer has seen cabin crews make up crazy "FAA regulations," nonexistent "cell phone signal detectors," fake assurances that "they know you're coming on the ground and they'll hold that connection for you," etc., etc. Cabin staff cultivate a rich culture of lies in order to pacify passengers, avoid difficult issues, or merely reduce their own workload. ("Sorry, the FAA prohibits me from serving coffee right now.") It is therefore reasonable to assume, when an FA claims a lav is unusable on the ground, that he or she is lying. If it was really inop for some technical reason, that would not be unheard of, but it would sure be a surprise. Spurious claims from FAs are anything but.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
It's amazing how many people who weren't there and know little or nothing about how airplane lavatories work, know that the FA was BSing. Multiple assumptions, simple answer.
C17PSGR, TWA884, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Because unless the lavs on that particular aircraft were broken (in which case, perhaps it should have been taken out of service), it was nonsense. I have used lavs numerous times both before pushback and after landing without either probs or complaints from cabin crew.
Exactly - the lavs were broken. Simplest and most-likely explanation.

I'd rather that the flight operate with lavs that work for the majority of flight; rather than cancel because they won't work for the short period of time the flight is on the ground.

(If the flight had cancelled because of this issue - we probably would have had a rant about AA cancelling a flight for lavs that wouldn't work on the ground)

Originally Posted by BearX220
Experience.
Funny, I'm a "veteran flyer" and my experience tells me that if a FA says the lavs are INOP on the ground it's a maintenance issue.
ATOBTTR and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Then why wasn't the OP told the lav is INOP below 16K feet because of a MX issue, not that you cannot use the lav on this aircraft below 16k feet because that is how it was built? That makes a world of difference. Was this announced thru the PA system for the kettles in back who tried to use the lav as well and did they experience the same response? This whole thing sounds like a MX issue that was not told to passengers.
Perhaps because OP did not ask why that was. The question was whether OP could use the lav and that did not call for a technical discussion which the FA wasn't qualified to deliver anyway.

Perhaps AA ought to equip its FA's with tablets which provide lengthy presentations on every aspect of carrier and aircraft operations and then stand there in the aisle with the passenger.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
This is the procedure from the 737 minimum equipment list for an inoperative lavatory waste systems vacuum blower.
"ALL LAVATORIES MUST REMAIN SECURED CLOSED ON THE GROUND AND BELOW 16,000 FEET"

While some flight attendants may have significant technical knowledge, it is not a requirement for the job and many will not understand the "whys" behind a technical restrictions. The Captain will tell them about the restriction and that the lav doors must be locked on the ground and below 16,000' (the pilots are required to inform the F/As when the unlock then relock the doors in flight).

Passengers should not assume that an F/As inability to accurately explain a technical restriction is an indication of deception.
C17PSGR, Palal, TWA884 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
As was explained above in the thread, there are two different systems for flushing the lav. One is used on the ground. One is used once the aircraft is above 16,000 feet. The system that is used on the ground was broken so the lav will not be able to flush on the ground or until the aircraft was at a high enough altitude where the pressure differential system used to flush the lav would operate. But the lav will flush in the air once the other system is at an altitude where it can be used. I've been on flights where this has happened and we've been told we can't use the lav while the plane is on the ground or until we're above 16,000 ft.

Just because you don't understand or don't know something doesn't mean they're "BSing you" or that it's nonsense. This exact subject was debated in the DL forum about 1.5 years ago: Here’s A New One “the bathrooms do not work until 16,000 feet”
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: CO
EXACT same issue on a United A319 LGA-ORD on Tuesday. And I’ve also never heard of anything like that before. Funny
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Sounds like another example of another fought attendant pulling faux regulations out of their <bleep>.

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 29, 2019 at 8:30 am Reason: Masked vulgarity removed by moderator
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
Sounds like another example of another fought attendant pulling faux regulations out of their <bleep>.
Or it sounds like the pilots and FAs and MX crews actually know what they're talking about while passengers who think that just because they spend a lot of time on a plane that it must mean they know what they're talking about when they actually don't. Lavs have two systems for flushing. A vacuum pump for use on the ground and below ~16,000 feet and a system that uses a pressure differential to flush when the aircraft is above 16,000 ft. When the vacuum system that is used is broken, the lav won't flush properly on the ground. So the option is to not allow passengers to use the lav until the aircraft climbs to an altitude above the point where the pressure differential flushing system kicks in.
skylady, wrp96 and bse118 like this.

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 29, 2019 at 8:30 am Reason: Masked vulgarity removed by moderator
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Sounds like another example of certain FTers wanting to rant...while ignoring reality and facts.

Did you read the thread? Plenty of completely rational and factual explanations for this...
C17PSGR, TWA884, wrp96 and 2 others like this.

Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like another example of certain FTers wanting to rant...while ignoring reality and facts.

Did you read the thread? Plenty of completely rational and factual explanations for this...
Don't you know many FTers have flown millions of miles sitting in an ~31" by ~18" seat working on their laptop or watching movies or reading, so that time in the seat itself obviously makes them experts on the mechanics of how all the components on the aircraft that is on par with what the pilots, FAs, GA's, and MX techs who work on the plane and thus these FTers just know when pilots, FAs, GAs, and MX techs are lying about the technical aspects of the systems on the plane and operational aspects of running an airline?
wrp96 and bse118 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by LarryJ
This is the procedure from the 737 minimum equipment list for an inoperative lavatory waste systems vacuum blower.
"ALL LAVATORIES MUST REMAIN SECURED CLOSED ON THE GROUND AND BELOW 16,000 FEET"

While some flight attendants may have significant technical knowledge, it is not a requirement for the job and many will not understand the "whys" behind a technical restrictions. The Captain will tell them about the restriction and that the lav doors must be locked on the ground and below 16,000' (the pilots are required to inform the F/As when the unlock then relock the doors in flight).

Passengers should not assume that an F/As inability to accurately explain a technical restriction is an indication of deception.
if this is true how come I was able to use lavs during boarding on 738 and also on 320/321 many times and never had a problem. Also I don’t think I’ve ever seen lavs locked during boarding on AA.
I dod see FAs locking lavatories on other airlines on the ground.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by gateH15

if this is true how come I was able to use lavs during boarding on 738 and also on 320/321 many times and never had a problem. Also I don’t think I’ve ever seen lavs locked during boarding on AA.
I dod see FAs locking lavatories on other airlines on the ground.
Easy: because you've never been on an aircraft that had this particular MX issue. It's uncommon - but it happens. Several other examples posted in this thread.

(Why have I driven several models of car but never had a tail light out?)
C17PSGR, wrp96 and BWISkyGuy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.