Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

VDB (voluntary denied boarding), no food vouchers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond

I took a VDB today and was rerouted on Iceland Air 7 hours later. I was not offered food etc. As most know, a meal at KEF will cost $40 or so, also now that I am flying FI, food onboard is chargeable on my 9 hour flight. Does AA owe me anything. I gave up an exit row Economy Comfort seat, now have a random seat on FI as they want to charge for more legroom. I'll have to pay for food onboard etc. The Comp was fairly low, and I'm happy to avoid my connection in DFW, nonetheless hoped to be fed..
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Typically AA will email you food vouchers. Since you're at KEF and it's likely contractors they probably don't understand the full process. Did you ask for a voucher? Unfortunately when you VDB unless you ask for a specific re-route that has decent available seats you're at the mercy of whatever is thrown at you. It would have to be one hell of a voucher for me to give up an exit row on a 9 hour flight in turn for a middle seat on some budget carrier. If anything I would have held out for a hotel and a MCE seat on the next day's AA flight.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Maybe you could take your fairly low compensation, and buy food and a better seat.

My daughter says the food on FI is somewhere between poo poo and downright disgusting, so "bon chance" with whatever you decide.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: OW Emerald
You bargained with AA and agreed that what they provided is a fair exchange for giving up your original seat. If you wanted more, you really needed to bargain for it at the time, or not accept their VDB offer. Maybe they'll give you more (certainly doesn't hurt to ask), but shouldn't expect anything beyond what was explicitly agreed. Typically AA wouldn't provide for inflight amenities on other airlines, but an airport food voucher at your origin (where you have the 7 hour delay) is more realistic.
ijgordon, lbbzman, deeruck and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Does AA owe you anything? No.

The "V" in "VDB" stands for "voluntary". The compensation is whatever you negotiated for. That includes cash (credit), hotels, and meals.

If the deal on offer is not rich enough, either ask for more or turn it down. Had AA IDB, the compensation would have been the higher of 400% of the segment fare capped at $1,350 or EUR 600 (US DOT rule vs. EC 261/2004) payable in cash equivalent + duty of care to incldue appropriate meals.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
I was misinformed that FI had meals onboard (The walk up fare today is around $900, mind you my ticket was purchased yesterday) I should have done my research and just stayed a night on AA's dime Couldn't complain about a free night in KEF. I'll shoot them the bill for a nice preflight lunch and hope they reimburse me. A big meal preflight should offset the lack of onboard food.. Never flown FI, and had no idea they are a garbage carrier. The staff here are new at the process, so honestly I was very gentle with them. I probably should have been a bit more pushy, but there was a lack of options (Only UA/DL) Couldn't do LH etc. and UA/DL already left, and tomorrows AA flight had only middle seats..

I accepted the compensation, yes. If I hadn't someone else would have. Nonetheless I requested Food vouchers (This is a country where meals have a very high cost) They did not know the process, and their supervisor stated that I am not entitled because I arrive at my destination at a reasonable time. Yet I have to wait 7 hours. I feel at least AA owes me for food, I'll contact them and update you all with the results. Worse case I'm out $50 and a lesson learned.

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 26, 2019 at 11:35 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ryan754
I accepted the compensation, yes. If I hadn't someone else would have. Nonetheless I requested Food vouchers (This is a country where meals have a very high cost) They did not know the process, and their supervisor stated that I am not entitled because I arrive at my destination at a reasonable time. Yet I have to wait 7 hours. I feel at least AA owes me for food, I'll contact them and update you all with the results. Worse case I'm out $50 and a lesson learned.
AA should have offered you a food voucher for the seven hour wait at KEF, but the contracted personnel are likely unfamiliar with AA policy and practices. I suspect it won’t be easy to get this after the fact.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A workaround here was to simply up the compensation amount by some reasonable amount. While it would not have been cash or a voucher, it would have been something.

But, the bottom line here is that if the offer was not acceptable, to have turned it down. You can send a note to AA, but you should expect a "no"
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:03 am

There are lots of very good grab and go food options at KEF, no need to spend $40. I would not pay for a pricey sit down meal hoping to get reimbursed.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
How much was the compensation?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Maybe you could take your fairly low compensation, and buy food and a better seat.

My daughter says the food on FI is somewhere between poo poo and downright disgusting, so "bon chance" with whatever you decide.
"poo poo and downright disgusting" - which one is the worse option?
Dallas49er and windscar like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I'll shoot them the bill for a nice preflight lunch and hope they reimburse me. .
Have at it. I was stranded by AA overnight in DFW due to a crew issue. They paid for my hotel 7 months later, but refused the food. And Im an EXP

Not a matching situation, but this airline is beyond stingy.

You've learned to negotiate EVERYTHING up front.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:23 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I always include a food voucher during the negotiations. Unless I am waiting for 2 hours or less. Obviously having to buy a $40 meal isn't ideal but you'll still come out ahead.
My understanding is once you leave the podium, (and sign a paper in some cases) you no longer have any power. You've accepted the offer and that's it.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:50 am

As most know, a meal at KEF will cost $40 or so...
According to the airport's website, this statement is not true. This location offers sandwiches for kr. 1.190, a soft drink for 340, and a cookie for 600. All in, that's kr. 2,130 or roughly $17.50 USD.

https://www.isavia.is/media/1/menu.pdf

Or, you could take advantage of this special which is roughly $6.50 USD:

Source: https://www.isavia.is/en/keflavik-ai...nts/kvikk-cafe
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:59 am

INever flown FI, and had no idea they are a garbage carrier.
Having flown Icelandair... if you took a survey of 100 people who flew AA over to KEF, and Icelandair back, I suspect FAR more would rate the FI experience better (at least in economy).
Tanic, chrisny2 and reeg2 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.