Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

VDB (voluntary denied boarding), no food vouchers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VDB (voluntary denied boarding), no food vouchers?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ryan754
Yes this is what I thought, supposedly I'm the first VDB out of KEF.. They had no idea how to process it and had to get someone on the phone, took about an hour. I'm not complaining, the contracted staff at KEF were very friendly. Nonetheless $250 lol. I was surprised myself. There was another volunteer, so I really had no leverage, as they needed one seat. I did have some expectations which never came as the staff had no idea about anything.. I don't regret it at the end of the day, yes it's a lowball vdb, but I never get them and it will help out on a leisure trip in the future, and I got to avoid laying over in DFW.. Just trying to get my original miles for the trip as FI isn't a partner (Yet they are with AS)
Why would you take $250 when you could have had the mandatory EUR600 under EC261?

Regardless, in such a situation the airline is liable for providing meals during a delay, so no reason to get vouchers agreed

Last edited by Dave Noble; Aug 9, 2019 at 7:30 pm
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BThumme
Clearly, no, one data point does not show that. I could point out plenty of situations on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Overpaying is a stretch when the compensation is the companies own currency. This is a deal that should have been enacted in good faith, which it wasn't. You don't have to agree with me that $250 is too low, that's fine. But not even offering food vouchers? That should be automatic. Don't forget that OP was doing AA a big favor. $500-$1000 AA travel dollars is nowhere close to overpaying. I would expect any airline to do a better job working with volunteers. The onus shouldn't have to be on the volunteer for a lousy food voucher.
Not necessarily. If OP did not volunteer, perhaps somepone else might have. Then OP would not have his $250 towards the BOG ticket. Alternatively, maybe nobody would have volunteered even after AA jacked the offer to $1,000 as would be fairly typical. At that point, AA can IDB someone and pay up the EUR 600 in cash (equivalent), a food voucher / reimbursement and possibly another EUR 300-600 depending on the length of the delay caused by the IDB at the final ticketed destination.

So, bottom line is that if $250 is too little, OP should not have taken it. If $250 + food voucher or maybe a flat $300 was acceptable, that is what he ought to have told the GA.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
AA Voucher Takes off $250 from a $600 trip to Bog this month. By all means its a garbage amount, but it's better than nothing. I fly a lot, but never get VDB's
You also save the federal excise tax on the $250 that is normally included when you are quoted a fare.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:45 pm
Suspended

There was another volunteer, so I really had no leverage, as they needed one seat.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Why would you take $250 when you could have had the mandatory EUR600 under EC261?
Pretty clear I think -- somebody was going to accept the $250 and OP would have ended up on his original flight without $250.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Nicoolio
Pretty clear I think -- somebody was going to accept the $250 and OP would have ended up on his original flight without $250.
ok - why would anyone accept less than the stipulated compensation mandated in the EU?
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
ok - why would anyone accept less than the stipulated compensation mandated in the EU?
Because it is voluntary and they aren't necessarily the one who will get the stipulated compensation.
bse118 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sbrower
Because it is voluntary and they aren't necessarily the one who will get the stipulated compensation.
But the point is - the airline has to pay out the higher amount in cash if no one accepts - so it is in the best interest for any volunteers to point that out and have them up the offer to, at a minimum, that amount.

Even if OP and the 1 other person were the only two volunteers, both of them holding out for 600EUR in a voucher means each has a 50% chance of getting it (which is an expected payout of 300EUR, or better than the 250 they were offering).

And, AA wins because they don't pay it in cash, but rather a voucher, and still avoid the process of IDB. 350EUR additional in the form of an AA voucher with a high spoilage rate is nothing; I am shocked that AA doesn't have procedures that mandates 600EUR as the minimum amount to offer for any EU departure, honestly. I am also not surprised, though, that the staff in Iceland felt like 250 ($ or EUR, whatever) was a lot for taking another flight.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
But the point is - the airline has to pay out the higher amount in cash if no one accepts - so it is in the best interest for any volunteers to point that out and have them up the offer to, at a minimum, that amount.

Even if OP and the 1 other person were the only two volunteers, both of them holding out for 600EUR in a voucher means each has a 50% chance of getting it (which is an expected payout of 300EUR, or better than the 250 they were offering).

And, AA wins because they don't pay it in cash, but rather a voucher, and still avoid the process of IDB. 350EUR additional in the form of an AA voucher with a high spoilage rate is nothing; I am shocked that AA doesn't have procedures that mandates 600EUR as the minimum amount to offer for any EU departure, honestly. I am also not surprised, though, that the staff in Iceland felt like 250 ($ or EUR, whatever) was a lot for taking another flight.
If the 2 pax did get together and hold out, AA would raise the offer and more pax would accept as the price went up. So again they would end up with the original flight and no money, which was a less desirable outcome for them than what OP got.

This is like an auction with a minimum bid. Why would anybody ever pay over the minimum when the seller will sell for that. The reason they do is it is their best interest to pay more than not get the deal.

The EU compensation is based on FORCING somebody to another flight. This case is the airline offering the passenger an option.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Even if these two are the only potential volunteers, would you rather have $250 with certainty or a 50-50 chance of getting either 600 Euro or nothing? The answer depends on your degree of risk aversion.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by bse118

Over dramatic much?

If OP thought the offer was too low he shouldn't have accepted it. End of story.

Buyer's remorse is the OP's problem not the airline's.
II'm just looking out for other flyers. The low amount is only part of the story. I've never heard of a VDB amount that low at all, for any flight to any destination, and this is coming from someone who frequents the AA and UA VDB threads. If this was posted in one of those threads, I'm fairly certain there would be many similar responses to mine.

As I said though, the low amount is only half the issue for me. AA still should have provided OP meal vouchers. I think that's extremely cheap of them, and I feel that AA (or rather the outsourced agents, can't recall if they work this flight) took advantage of the flyer. I can empathize with the poster, which no one else in this thread seems to want to do. AA isn't going to make or break their business profits with offering a $10-20 meal voucher for a 7 hr VDB (that also potentially got them out of the EU comp). Airlines need to take care of their flyers for helping them out which I, and now OP, don't feel they did.

Who knows, perhaps this might impact OP's choice to fly AA in the future. Or maybe they will look back it in a couple weeks and laugh at it en route to BOG. None of that is going to change the fact that I think AA lowballed this hard, which does irk me.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by BThumme
II'm just looking out for other flyers. The low amount is only part of the story. I've never heard of a VDB amount that low at all, for any flight to any destination, and this is coming from someone who frequents the AA and UA VDB threads. If this was posted in one of those threads, I'm fairly certain there would be many similar responses to mine.

As I said though, the low amount is only half the issue for me. AA still should have provided OP meal vouchers. I think that's extremely cheap of them, and I feel that AA (or rather the outsourced agents, can't recall if they work this flight) took advantage of the flyer. I can empathize with the poster, which no one else in this thread seems to want to do. AA isn't going to make or break their business profits with offering a $10-20 meal voucher for a 7 hr VDB (that also potentially got them out of the EU comp). Airlines need to take care of their flyers for helping them out which I, and now OP, don't feel they did.

Who knows, perhaps this might impact OP's choice to fly AA in the future. Or maybe they will look back it in a couple weeks and laugh at it en route to BOG. None of that is going to change the fact that I think AA lowballed this hard, which does irk me.
You may post in those threads, but your knowledge is somewhat limited. I have accepted $100 (1 hour delay on PSA from LAS to SNA). I have seen recent offers as low as $250 when they needed 20 people to wait a whole day to go from Mammoth to LAX (but the final price, to get 20 volunteers, was closer to $1000.
bse118 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
You are making a big assumption that pax even know that the EU compensation laws exist, let alone how much money they might qualify for under various circumstances...

I am shocked that AA doesn't have procedures that mandates 600EUR as the minimum amount to offer for any EU departure, honestly. I am also not surprised, though, that the staff in Iceland felt like 250 ($ or EUR, whatever) was a lot for taking another flight.
Why would AA set a minimum VBD voucher equal to the amount required by the EU for IDB, when AA can get passengers to accept voluntary for less than that amount? Would make no sense.
IAHtraveler and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bse118
Why would AA set a minimum VBD voucher equal to the amount required by the EU for IDB, when AA can get passengers to accept voluntary for less than that amount? Would make no sense.
Because it makes life easier for GAs and passengers...a difference of 350EUR in a voucher with a high spoilage rate is nothing if it helps them meet D0.

And, because then they reduce their IDB rate by setting a minimum payout equivalent to EC261 payout. Duh.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by sbrower
You may post in those threads, but your knowledge is somewhat limited. I have accepted $100 (1 hour delay on PSA from LAS to SNA). I have seen recent offers as low as $250 when they needed 20 people to wait a whole day to go from Mammoth to LAX (but the final price, to get 20 volunteers, was closer to $1000.
A $100 offer for a one hour delay seems like a very fair starting point (I'd even bite at that). Now just extrapolate that a little bit farther out to 7 hours.

I would hope requiring passengers to stay overnight at least included food vouchers and a hotel...and that puts us right back to my point, that the volunteers need to be taken care of. $250 for an overnight delay and no food vouchers or hotel is just as sad.

I haven't flown AA in a year so I don't have any recent VDB experiences, but I VDB'ed last week on United, and for a 1.5 hr delay (that I got rebooked in F, and $600), I didn't even have to ask, I was given a dinner voucher. And for United at least, I always thought the food vouchers was automatic.

I don't think it's too much to expect that AA (and any airline, really) would treat their customers the same for someone with some flexibility that doesn't have a whole lot of options to get where they're going.

Last edited by BThumme; Aug 10, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Because it makes life easier for GAs and passengers...a difference of 350EUR in a voucher with a high spoilage rate is nothing if it helps them meet D0.

And, because then they reduce their IDB rate by setting a minimum payout equivalent to EC261 payout. Duh.
While it is true that if the passengers all ganged up, they could force the VDB offer up. AA would typically go as high as $1,500 on a route such as this, perhaps higher if in a real pickle where a substantial delay is involved,. But, the fact is that a savvy consumer looks out for his own interest and could care less how the other party, e.g. AA, looks at the transaction.

The sole question here is whether $250 was sufficient to cause OP to accept a VDB. It was. If he had spoken with the other volunteer and the two had agree to drive the price up to $1,000, perhaps the other passenger would have jumped at $900 and OP would have nothing. Additionally, as the offer increased, other passengers might have jumped on the amount.

The typical breakage on vouchers is thought to run around 35%. While OP has a specific purpose for this one, on average the $250 voucher costs AA approximately $162. Not much.

But, bottom line is that OP has no bargaining leverage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.