Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA FA bitten by purported emotional support animal / ESA 22 Jul 2019

Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

I searched and didn't find this story....sorry if it has already been beaten...

A flight attendant employed by American Airlines was bitten on his left hand by an emotional support dog during a recent flight, suffering an injury that required five stitches. In response, the Association of Flight Attendants (AFA) is now calling for the U.S. Department of Transportation to review and improve the somewhat controversial policies for traveling with emotional support animals by plane.

On July 22, a male flight attendant working American flight 3506, operated by Envoy Air (a subsidiary of the carrier) as an American Eageflight, was nipped on his left hand by an emotional support dog, USA Today reports.

It remains unclear at this time exactly when the flight staffer was bitten by the canine during the trip from Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) to Greensboro, N.C., and what breed of dog the emotional support animal was.

USA Today paywall: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...es/1808632001/

Now - I am extremely sorry for the FA, they shouldn't have that risk. I hope he sues for BILLIONS. That said, hopefully this is a catalyst to put an end to all this fraud. It de-legitimizes people who have highly trained dogs with an actual medical necessity. I sat next to a lovely couple with a very nice lab who is trained to alert them of a drop in blood sugar. That is amazing, but to take fluffy with you because it harms you emotionally to put fluffy in a kennel, that isn't anywhere on the same level - just drive or stay home.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

Now - I am extremely sorry for the FA, they shouldn't have that risk. I hope he sues for BILLIONS. That said, hopefully this is a catalyst to put an end to all this fraud. It de-legitimizes people who have highly trained dogs with an actual medical necessity. I sat next to a lovely couple with a very nice lab who is trained to alert them of a drop in blood sugar. That is amazing, but to take fluffy with you because it harms you emotionally to put fluffy in a kennel, that isn't anywhere on the same level - just drive or stay home.
I agree with you on the ongoing fraud. Personally, I think less than 5 percent of the animals in the airport are legitimate service animals. Most are simply people taking their pet with them to travel.

That being said, I'm not sure who the FA can sue for billions. The airline is simply following the government rules. The government can't be sued over its rules.

That leaves the scammer with the sham emotional support dog, who is unlikely to have billions. On the other hand, it would be nice if the FA union hired a lawyer for the FA to sue the individual. Take their deposition. Get them to admit it was a sham. Use social media to shame the owner and fellow scammers. Of course, unlikely that will happen, and every day more people realize they can take their pet with them for free when they travel.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I hope he sues the dog’s owner not AA. Not the airline’s fault.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
That leaves the scammer with the sham emotional support dog, who is unlikely to have billions.
No doubt a gross generalisation but the overall impression I get of seemingly scam emotional support animals is that the owners look very well-off.(the type who might buy their offspring's way into college)
LINDEGR, IluvSQ, carlosdca and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:42 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
I am frustrated by the emotional support scams, but really! He was nipped and needed five stitches. Seeking billions is just silly. He should seek medical expenses, lost wages and maybe a court order forbidding the passenger from flying anymore. I don't think the accused will ever 'admit' they scammed and neither could they be so required. That stated, if airlines and/or the government started putting these people on the do not fly list, that just might work!
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Billions was more tongue in cheek than anything

Don't people with ESA have to sign papers saying the dog is trained etc - I bet in court they would have to provide said training certificate etc - or another case of fraud....

Not sure what state - but around here if you get bit, you can sue to have the dog euthanized - that would probably do the most emotional harm to the owners.....
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
No doubt a gross generalisation but the overall impression I get of seemingly scam emotional support animals is that the owners look very well-off.(the type who might buy their offspring's way into college)
I went through pre-check earlier this year in a ski area and was behind a very well-dressed older couple with expensive luggage and a beautiful setter properly adorned with an expensive emotional support animal vest. So .... I get your point.

But, then as I was enjoying my PDB earlier this week watching people board, I noticed a granolaesque couple in their 20's complete with backpack and water bottles and looking to be heading to the mountains with their dark lab, also with a nice emotional support vest, and then a guy who looked like he was in group 9 and likely on probation for something with a mixed breed, perhaps a pit bull, but also with an emotional support vest.
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Don't people with ESA have to sign papers saying the dog is trained etc ..
Don’t think it takes more than a few minutes to find an “ESA” vest for a dog and/or faux cert on amazon.

Total fraud on behalf of the dog’s owner.

Feel sorry for the flight attendant. I hope he retains counsel and goes after that owner.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:52 pm

Billions was more tongue in cheek than anything

Don't people with ESA have to sign papers saying the dog is trained etc - I bet in court they would have to provide said training certificate etc - or another case of fraud....

Not sure what state - but around here if you get bit, you can sue to have the dog euthanized - that would probably do the most emotional harm to the owners.....
No training requirement. You simply need a note from a doctor, easily obtained on line, that you are stressed from traveling and having your pet, oops I mean ESA, will make it better. The on line notes are far cheaper than doggie daycare.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

No training requirement. You simply need a note from a doctor, easily obtained on line, that you are stressed from traveling and having your pet, oops I mean ESA, will make it better. The on line notes are far cheaper than doggie daycare.
I only know the UA ESA form - I assume AA has the same verbage:

If outside of a kennel,
- this animal takes direction upon my command and will remain under my control at all times, and
- I confirm that this animal has been trained to behave properly in a public setting.

That indicates some sort of training and if you go to court lawyers will have a field day with the vague language

https://www.united.com/web/format/su...imal-form.html
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I hope he sues for BILLIONS.
The FA can't sue in most of the case. FAs are covered by Workers' Compensation. In most of the case, only AA or its insurer can sue.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
The FA can't sue in most of the case. FAs are covered by Workers' Compensation. In most of the case, only AA or its insurer can sue.
That keeps the FA from suing AA.

It doesn't keep the from suing the owner. Of course, AA or its workers comp insurer might have a lien on medical expenses.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:01 pm

I only know the UA ESA form - I assume AA has the same verbage:

If outside of a kennel,
- this animal takes direction upon my command and will remain under my control at all times, and
- I confirm that this animal has been trained to behave properly in a public setting.

That indicates some sort of training and if you go to court lawyers will have a field day with the vague language

https://www.united.com/web/format/su...imal-form.html
True, but that's very different training than a service animal who can detect blood sugar drops or knows to service a veteran with PTSD.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:02 pm

I went through pre-check earlier this year in a ski area and was behind a very well-dressed older couple with expensive luggage and a beautiful setter properly adorned with an expensive emotional support animal vest. So .... I get your point.

But, then as I was enjoying my PDB earlier this week watching people board, I noticed a granolaesque couple in their 20's complete with backpack and water bottles and looking to be heading to the mountains with their dark lab, also with a nice emotional support vest, and then a guy who looked like he was in group 9 and likely on probation for something with a mixed breed, perhaps a pit bull, but also with an emotional support vest.
You've made my point - a Silicon Valley power couple and a former Cabinet Secretary
C17PSGR, deeruck, oopsz and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
That keeps the FA from suing AA.

It doesn't keep the from suing the owner. Of course, AA or its workers comp insurer might have a lien on medical expenses.
Which ends up the FA can't get anything more than Workers' Compensation...

(Seriously, you need something as ridiculous as a peacock to make a big juicy case... )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.