Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA FA bitten by purported emotional support animal / ESA 22 Jul 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA FA bitten by purported emotional support animal / ESA 22 Jul 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
It remains unclear at this time exactly when the flight staffer was bitten by the canine during the trip from Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) to Greensboro, N.C., and what breed of dog the emotional support animal was.
I have no idea what law would apply on an interstate flight from Texas to North Carolina, but it appears that many states -- including Texas -- have a one-bite rule:

https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo...-dog-bite.html
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by mvoight
Are you suggesting only combat veterans can have PTSD?
I don't claim that.

And no need to get into the DSM definitions but some of us have been downrange, just like police officers, firefighters, EMT's have been in difficult situations.

The average person walking around claiming PTSD really means their boss yelled at them last month.
Dallas49er likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Let's not forget ESCKs (emotional support concierge keys). While still not having received widespread recognition in the scientific community, or rather any community for that matter, they can help EPs on elite-heavy routes overcome gate PALL upgrade anxiety.
I had to read this twice-split a gut twice!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
1. There should be strict liability for bites (or other injuries) caused by ESAs on planes.

2. I believe in the importance of mental health, and I'm not sure those who truly need an ESA should have to pay because many have abused the system. I also don't think it's realistic to say those who need an ESA shouldn't travel by plane. But I wonder if it's possible to reserve a couple of rows (like in the back of the plane) for those traveling with animals. Those with allergies (or who are uncomfortable around animals) will know to avoid that part of the plane. Also, I think a limit on the number of ESAs per flight is reasonable.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
what group of clowns came up with the ESA definition/law/language in the first place?

Idiots.
Our friends in Congress.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I don't claim that.

And no need to get into the DSM definitions but some of us have been downrange, just like police officers, firefighters, EMT's have been in difficult situations.

The average person walking around claiming PTSD really means their boss yelled at them last month.
That reply was in response to a comment from CLTUSCAPTIVE stating "I largely agree, with the sole exception of dogs owned by combat veterans with PTSD."
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
1. There should be strict liability for bites (or other injuries) caused by ESAs on planes.

2. I believe in the importance of mental health, and I'm not sure those who truly need an ESA should have to pay because many have abused the system. I also don't think it's realistic to say those who need an ESA shouldn't travel by plane. But I wonder if it's possible to reserve a couple of rows (like in the back of the plane) for those traveling with animals. Those with allergies (or who are uncomfortable around animals) will know to avoid that part of the plane. Also, I think a limit on the number of ESAs per flight is reasonable.
Maybe a solution could be that:
1. ESA (of ALL ilk) must be declared at booking-No exceptions

2. ESA MUST have its own seat.

3. Bump the ESA fee with weight limits (0-5= $y, 6-10 $yx2, 10-15 $yx3, 15 and up $x5 Have Fido stand on the scale. They do it for your luggage.-The airlines should love that

3. Mandatory pre-TSA physical check-in to verify ESA paper work. NO OLCI-Happens all the time with passports. My passport has my legal name, my AAdvantage account has my legal name without a space between first and middle, requiring physical verification before getting a boarding pass 100% of the time internationally. (AA IT still can't/won't fix this after 7+ years)

5. At mandatory check-in, PAX required to sign they are are responsible (with no $ limit) for any and all biting, soiling, biting , damage, biting, et al. No sign,no go-No CK waiver

6. Strict limit of 1 in F, 2 in Y/MCE/Y/Group 9-FCFS

YMMV

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jul 25, 2019 at 2:13 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Maybe a solution could be that:
1. ESA (of ALL ilk) must be declared at booking-No exceptions

2. ESA MUST have its own seat.

3. Bump the ESA fee with weight limits (0-5= $y, 6-10 $yx2, 10-15 $yx3, 15 and up $x5 Have Fido stand on the scale. They do it for your luggage.-The airlines should love that

3. Mandatory pre-TSA physical check-in to verify ESA paper work. NO OLCI-Happens all the time with passports. My passport has my legal name, my AAdvantage account has my legal name without a space between first and middle, requiring physical verification before getting a boarding pass 100% of the time internationally. (AA IT still can't/won't fix this after 7+ years)

5. At mandatory check-in, PAX required to sign they are are responsible (with no $ limit) for any and all biting, soiling, biting , damage, biting, et al. No sign,no go-No CK waiver

6. Strict limit of 1 in F, 2 in Y/MCE/Y/Group 9-FCFS

YMMV
This all makes perfect sense but will never fly in our totally pc, victimhood culture. Omni hat now off.
Dallas49er and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:33 pm

Just a continued reminder that a massive portion of society is pitifully shameless.

If I HAD to have the dog to fly and function, ok so be it. I wouldn't care what people think, do what you gotta do.

But on a tweener case, or a straight up fraud (which a lot of these are obviously), how do you not have too much pride to shell out some money and not look like a person who needs their big ol' dog blankie. And if it is too expensive, maybe you shouldn't have a pet.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: CK or bust
I had to read this twice-split a gut twice!
I'll do that when I read the next headline -

Emotional Support Animal / ESA bitten by AA FA
Now that would make for a lively discussion in this forum.
AA100k likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:38 pm

Maybe muzzles should be required while in airports and on planes.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:43 pm

What if dogs on planes were required to wear a muzzle? Muzzle conditioning a dog is not difficult and perhaps would make everyone more comfortable?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 123run
Maybe muzzles should be required while in airports and on planes.
Some FAs bite too. Lots of them snarl and growl at people, and they can whine.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
what group of clowns came up with the ESA definition/law/language in the first place?

Idiots.
Our friends in Congress.
Really not cool to disparage clowns like this.

Hopefully these events getting more press will drive changes in ACAA to remove the stupidity that is ESAs, either you have a real need for a service animal and get a properly trained one or you leave your PET at home. And if your emotional wellbeing is such that you need fluffy with you to fly then you shouldn't on a plane at all but rather you should be at an in patient mental health facility.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: American Airlines
I’m left wondering... how did so many marvelous accomplishments happen without “emotional support animals” and in spite of allergies to everything. How did the world progress to this point without a total collapse.

Pathetic state of many people, mostly their own doing.

Grow up is what someone once told someone else in my presence. Growing up seems impossible for many in the present era.

I need my dooooooggggggg..... my EMOTIONALLLLLLLL SUPPPPORRRRRTTTTT ANIMALLLLL!!!!!

Pffft. Shut up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.