FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Why no I class available on JFK-LAX Transcon flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1979840-why-no-i-class-available-jfk-lax-transcon-flights.html)

diaspora04 Jul 25, 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 31336490)
I needed an I seat JFK-LAX in two weeks. The only one I found on the day I need was the last flight of the day, departing a little after 2100. (And then I used an SWU for a J-F upgrade into an empty F cabin.)

I did not know one could use an SWU for a J to F upgrade on the 3 class transcons. This is welcome news.

flyingeph12 Jul 25, 2019 9:38 am

Originally Posted by diaspora04 (Post 31341150)
I did not know one could use an SWU for a J to F upgrade on the 3 class transcons. This is welcome news.

As long as you purchased J, you can use an SWU to upgrade to F. You can’t be upgraded from Y to J, and then use an SWU to upgrade further to F.

NYC Flyer Jul 25, 2019 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 31341135)
Well I suspect as flight time approaches, if sales levels are below target, they will release more I inventory on nonstop itineraries, but as it will be within the shorter advance purchase windows, the I fares can be much higher. So yes, the more buckets they have, the more flexibility they have, but as the aircraft only has 20 seats I suspect they're fine using J/D only on all but the most off-peak flights far out.

These fares often depend on availability of a specific discounted economy booking class at the time of booking as well. So, as the lowest economy booking classes sell out, so do the lowest I class fares, independent of advance purchase window.

ijgordon Jul 26, 2019 7:42 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer (Post 31342572)
These fares often depend on availability of a specific discounted economy booking class at the time of booking as well. So, as the lowest economy booking classes sell out, so do the lowest I class fares, independent of advance purchase window.

I'm not entirely sure if that's the case on the 3-class transcons, I think that's mostly for other routes where they're selling F at a specific up-charge from the available coach fare (and that up-charge will vary depending on whether I or D or only J inventory is available). I don't think that's how they price the flagship transcon product.

I searched JFK-LAX in October on EF, and see the cheapest I fare is $1288 r/t, but listed both as IWAHZNJC, which books directly into I, as well as KWAUPNIC, which is an economy sell-up fare, although it says "K Permitted when Prime Not offered". I thought the language in the booking class table used to suggest K was required. But I also see the same language on a regular route, so I'm not sure how the requirement of the fares have changed.