Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Time to Ban This Passenger! (Pax offered disembarkation at gate, demands on apron)

Time to Ban This Passenger! (Pax offered disembarkation at gate, demands on apron)

Old Jul 24, 19, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
if you replace "once that door closes" with "once the plane is actually taxiing to the runway", I agree, but I fervently disagree with the idea of holding passengers hostage for an extended period of time.
It's not just the "door," it's when the flight is closed. Doors can be opened and closed quite quickly. But, once the flight is closed, the numbers have been sent off to dispatch for weight & balance and other purposes.

While redoing W&B is not the end of the world, it can take 10 minutes during busy periods. Holding an aircraft for an extra 10 minutes can easily turn into 30-40 due to ground congestion, wind shifts and so on. In addition, if the passenger has checked luggage, this is one of those situations where almost all carriers' safety & security policies would mean pulling those bags.

There may be occasions when the Captain knows that there is a 60-minute delay no matter what, so it won't matter. But, barring that, it's a bad thing if it takes appreciable time and the assessment is that the passenger will behave.
Old Jul 24, 19, 1:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Offloading at the gate is one thing. Offloading when the plane is 4th or 5th in line to take off, due to a missed business meeting, is entirely different and could cause people to miss their business meetings, or other events
When this happened to me, we returned to the gate at LGA after a late afternoon 90 minute taxi (almost certainly built into the flight time) and were number two. The woman quickly walked off the plane with the air of an "entitled New Yorker" (if you've lived there, you understand ....) Another 5-10 pax then wanted to get off to while the GA was on the intercom telling people if they get off the plane, they aren't leaving LGA today ...we then left the gate again for another 90 minute taxi.

In my part of the plane alone, there were several people who missed once a day international connections. I imagine the cost to AA and pax had to be in the tens of thousands of dollars because she was tired of waiting for the plane to take off
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It's not just the "door," it's when the flight is closed. Doors can be opened and closed quite quickly. But, once the flight is closed, the numbers have been sent off to dispatch for weight & balance and other purposes.
I realize this difference, and therefore have a pretty high threshold when it comes to playing the "trip in vein" card after boarding. That having been said, 3 hours is my typical limit during the summer months; I always give crews a heads up about my limit after the first ~30 minutes passes.
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I realize this difference, and therefore have a pretty high threshold when it comes to playing the "trip in vein" card after boarding. That having been said, 3 hours is my typical limit during the summer months; I always give crews a heads up about my limit after the first ~30 minutes passes.
That's bloody awful ("trip in vein").
C17PSGR, trooper, lupine and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:51 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Does anyone hear know how to spell "vain"?
lupine and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:54 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by m44 View Post
@mastertrust - I hope that you personally will never have any need to request off-loading, and I wish you never be forced to fly in vane. Continue this attitude with those who liked your rant - just remember -- THEN THEY WILL COME FOR YOU.
And I hope that "you personally" will never miss a once a day International connection taking you to an important occasion.... because someone demanded off loading for situation that is manifestly NOT an emergency. You might feel somewhat differently if that ever happens......
GrumpyYoungMan and SJWarrior like this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
That's bloody awful ("trip in vein").
touché
Old Jul 26, 19, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by trooper View Post
Many people seem to loose their ability to spell.
Old Jul 26, 19, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickg523 View Post
Many people seem to loose their ability to spell.
Old Jul 26, 19, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Here? No. But I hear ya.

Old Jul 27, 19, 12:00 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, AA Plat, SPG/Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
When this happened to me, we returned to the gate at LGA after a late afternoon 90 minute taxi (almost certainly built into the flight time) and were number two. The woman quickly walked off the plane with the air of an "entitled New Yorker" (if you've lived there, you understand ....) Another 5-10 pax then wanted to get off to while the GA was on the intercom telling people if they get off the plane, they aren't leaving LGA today ...we then left the gate again for another 90 minute taxi.

In my part of the plane alone, there were several people who missed once a day international connections. I imagine the cost to AA and pax had to be in the tens of thousands of dollars because she was tired of waiting for the plane to take off
LOL. The crew must not have been NYC based, otherwise they would have told the woman to f* off...I kid, I kid

I love NYC, but it is also a city that can sometimes bring out the worst in people.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 27, 19, 12:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flyingeph12 View Post
I love NYC, but it is also a city that can sometimes bring out the worst in people.
Funny, I hate NYC for exactly the same reason! The culture is inhospitable, prioritizing directness and efficiency to an inhuman extreme.
Old Jul 27, 19, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Bad spelling must be in their blood..... (They're so vein............)
Old Jul 27, 19, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Bad spelling must be in their blood..... (They're so vein............)
Eye sea ewer pint
Old Jul 27, 19, 6:27 pm
formerly meunger11

Programs: AA Plat, 1WS, CX Silver, HH Gold, Caesars Diamond
Lol, Californians and their feelings over logic just makes for such an easy laugh.

Search this Thread