Biggest US city with no Admiralís Club

Old Jul 22, 19, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Biggest US city with no Admiralís Club

I travel to MSP a few times a year & wish they had an AC. Is there a bigger AA station without a club in the US? Any chance that MSP ever gets a club? I assume that commissioning a club there would not pull that many DL pax to AA.
Old Jul 22, 19, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
San Antonio, San Jose, Jacksonville, Columbus, Indy. That's just in the top 20, all way ahead of MSP. I'm guessing LAS has more traffic than any I listed.
Old Jul 22, 19, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny View Post
San Antonio, San Jose, Jacksonville, Columbus, Indy. That's just in the top 20, all way ahead of MSP. I'm guessing LAS has more traffic than any I listed.
Metro area size is almost certainly a better measure than city populations as the land areas encompassed by cities can vary dramatically. MSP metro area population is about 3.9 million vs 2.4 - 2.5 million for IND and CMH metros. DTW metro population is about 5.3 million and doesn't have an AC.
Old Jul 22, 19, 9:53 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
How technical do you want to get? SAN doesn't have an AC, but they do have a contract lounge that is staffed by AC staff, and BA or JL staff to handle their flights.
Old Jul 22, 19, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skunker View Post
How technical do you want to get? SAN doesn't have an AC, but they do have a contract lounge that is staffed by AC staff, and BA or JL staff to handle their flights.
The SAN lounge is just awful. Itís sad when the terminal is preferable to the AA ďlounge.Ē
Old Jul 22, 19, 10:02 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by AA100k View Post

The SAN lounge is just awful. Itís sad when the terminal is preferable to the AA ďlounge.Ē
I wouldn't go that far. The bloody Mary is pretty good, and Marc is awesome.
Old Jul 22, 19, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Metro area size is almost certainly a better measure than city populations as the land areas encompassed by cities can vary dramatically. MSP metro area population is about 3.9 million vs 2.4 - 2.5 million for IND and CMH metros. DTW metro population is about 5.3 million and doesn't have an AC.
Yeah.

If you go by Metropolitan Statistical Area, Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA, at 13th, is the largest without an Admirals Club. If you exclude that as part of LA (obviously not much demand for a club at ONT), then Detroit, Seattle-Tacoma, and Minneapolis-St Paul are the next three; all don't have ACs (though SEA has Alaska Lounges, which hopefully AA will choose to retain access to). Same answer if you go by combined statistical area: Detroit, Seattle, and Minneapolis-St Paul are the three largest without Admirals Clubs. Not a coincidence, I think, that two of the three are fortress hubs of Northwest/Delta (with service on the competitor that dramatically exceeds the natural O&D demand, as does any large hub) and the third is a partner-for-now hub with a contract lounge Admirals Club members can use.
Old Jul 22, 19, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
AA took in twice as many pax at LAS last year than MSP.
Old Jul 22, 19, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by joeyE View Post
I travel to MSP a few times a year & wish they had an AC. Is there a bigger AA station without a club in the US? Any chance that MSP ever gets a club? I assume that commissioning a club there would not pull that many DL pax to AA.
Domestic clubs probably ceased being relaxing and a respite from the masses at least 10 years ago. Iíd rather sit at the bar at Ikeís and enjoy a martini... and yes Iíve had my share there.

What does a club really get you? WiFi? hummus from a 55 gallon drum?? Is that what you need to make your trip complete?
Old Jul 22, 19, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
AA took in twice as many pax at LAS last year than MSP.
I think that is a far better measurement than overall city size.

Last edited by mvoight; Jul 22, 19 at 11:27 pm
Old Jul 23, 19, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given the sheer volume of flights at LAS and the importance as a trade show hub I've never understood not having an AC there, outside of not getting the airport authority to go along for space.
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:26 am

Programs: AA CK
A bit of a different spin, but this post with data from 2017 shows Columbus and Vegas were, at the time, the cities with the most flights and no club. (Not necessarily the largest US cities w/ no club, but the largest AA served markets).
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28380060-post13.html
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
Given the sheer volume of flights at LAS and the importance as a trade show hub I've never understood not having an AC there, outside of not getting the airport authority to go along for space.
This topic comes up several times a year.
America West had a lounge at LAS, but it was just outside of security (the security checkpoint of the LAS hub gates). I visited a few times, it was nice, but a bit odd. Sometime after the HP-US merger, that lounge closed.
I'm sure that when the LAS hub was going there was far more HP traffic at LAS than AA has today.

When these threads pop up, the question of space always comes up as well. It sounds like there just isn't space to give. At least way out in the satellite where the current AA gates are located.

Here's the last thread I could find with discussion of a LAS club/lounge:
Speculation: Any plans for LAS / Vegas Admirals Club?

Last edited by aztimm; Jul 23, 19 at 5:06 am
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:59 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
I think the odds are against it.. too much of a gamble for AA
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 19, 6:43 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Originally Posted by ashill View Post
Yeah.

If you go by Metropolitan Statistical Area, Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA, at 13th, is the largest without an Admirals Club. If you exclude that as part of LA (obviously not much demand for a club at ONT), then Detroit, Seattle-Tacoma, and Minneapolis-St Paul are the next three; all don't have ACs (though SEA has Alaska Lounges, which hopefully AA will choose to retain access to). Same answer if you go by combined statistical area: Detroit, Seattle, and Minneapolis-St Paul are the three largest without Admirals Clubs. Not a coincidence, I think, that two of the three are fortress hubs of Northwest/Delta (with service on the competitor that dramatically exceeds the natural O&D demand, as does any large hub) and the third is a partner-for-now hub with a contract lounge Admirals Club members can use.
Did anyone read the OP? He asked for largest AA stations without a club. All this arguing over MSAís, CSAís, city size, etc is pointless pedantry.
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
I think that is a far better measurement than overall city size.
And that is essentially what the OP asked.
arlflyer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: