Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Am I being Scammed? (Stranger offer to gift MCE)

Am I being Scammed? (Stranger offer to gift MCE)

Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Another that may happen, is after the first communication, they then ask you for your AAdvantage number...and then eventually they need your password to make it happen...and then since many use the same passwords across sites, they have access to a wealth of information and can start stealing your frequent flier miles, money, etc.. And there are plenty of people who will fall for this type of thing every day.
C17PSGR and 84fiero like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Yep, saw it, thank you! Still getting used to Reddit! I'll have to give them a call. I'm a very infrequent flier, so wasn't sure what to do.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ashill
With the information requested, could one cancel the ticket, pay the $300 or whatever it is change fee, and use the residual value to buy a new ticket (and then sell it to someone else for $500 so that person gets stuck with a ticket that AA would probably cancel when the OP calls in)? That's my best guess for what a fraudster would be trying to do here.
Not likely because the reissue will be in the passenger's name or the paper voucher mailed to the passenger.

But,.more to the point, people who provide information such as this on sites such as this are likely to have provided other information over time. There are entire operations which scour social media profiles for bits of information. Doesn't take long before they've also got a full address, date of birth and at least last 4 of some CC and Social.

There may well be someone out there who really is the Nigerian Prince and wants to give you $15 Million. But, it's not likely.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone, I really appreciate the input. Not gonna touch this one, and may just cough up the $ for the upgrade. Any tips on getting upgrades at possibly cheaper amounts?

(and thanks no1cub17 , that's my next step is to give them a call!)
no1cub17 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Its hard enough to get someone who's related to you on the same flight as you into an empty MCE without paying the fee because they are not on the same PNR (ticket /record locator) much less a complete stranger. Also hard to believe someone who flys all the time would not know that.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Scam scam scam
this is nothing but scam
dont call dont follow up
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Its hard enough to get someone who's related to you on the same flight as you into an empty MCE without paying the fee because they are not on the same PNR (ticket /record locator) much less a complete stranger. Also hard to believe someone who flys all the time would not know that.
Not that difficult to get someone with a different name and address in a MCE seat next to you, even if the ticket in on another PNR . I have done it quite a bit
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Another that may happen, is after the first communication, they then ask you for your AAdvantage number...and then eventually they need your password to make it happen...and then since many use the same passwords across sites, they have access to a wealth of information and can start stealing your frequent flier miles, money, etc.. And there are plenty of people who will fall for this type of thing every day.
Ahh ... that makes more sense. Basically, someone is using Reddit for spear phishing, a little at a time.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Was the thoughtful Reddit user's name Pond Walden?
C17PSGR, HofstraJet and arlflyer like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Uzzar
Are you sure? I think they can cancel your entire reservation with just that info...
And probably find a way to make sure any rebate goes to them.

Let's all sing the chorus: "If it's too good to be true, it's ...too.....gooooood .....to be true",
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Knowing it's probably a scam, I would play along and see where it goes..
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by TomMM
I sure wouldn't play along if it involves providing personal information, including flight details.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is the worst kind of advice. Responding at all may well provide data which you don't want the scammers to have. Leave it alone and move on with life.

If indeed the Nigerian Prince does wire OP the $15 Million, he won't have to worry about whether or not this is a scam. He can simply buy himself F tickets and be done with it.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many ways to play game without giving up information. But yes, you are correct. Wouldn't recommend it to a novice.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
scambaiters....

https://www.419eater.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.