Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Am I being Scammed? (Stranger offer to gift MCE)

Am I being Scammed? (Stranger offer to gift MCE)

Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Give him a fake and see what he comes back with.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by ashill
I sure wouldn't play along if it involves providing personal information, including flight details.
Give fake info.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
block the account. Total scam IMO.

Or recognize its a scam and play with the scammer, but that could be very problematic unless you were very experienced at IP spoofing and loved to toy with creeps.

https://www.iplocation.net/ip-spoofing

Or use a throw away Reddit account, lots of people use those. But its your time to waste. To improve seating look at FT threads about buying miles for a miles + money upgrade, then sit back and hope.

https://www.howtogeek.com/414765/wha...-i-create-one/
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
A big no! Individual needs small info to pull up reservation. If they can obtain birthday and address they are well on their way to many other things (reset passwords, etc.)

On the flip side you can ask the individual to give you his/her PNR, name, seat assignment to verify their flight content? Anything they ask you to provide you request the same in reverse and verify or pull up online. (Typically, this step will stop a scammer dead in their tracks unless they give you false information of another person they scammed).
birdiedouble likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:57 am

so much fun to toy with telemarketers and waste their time...this is just the logical extension as long as you don't give out your personal info
or you could just block if you don't find it entertaining. it's 99% likely NOT to be legit.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:52 am

I would look at the person's rep here on FT and make my decision from that. New user, ignore it. Long time user, who leaves helpful comments, etc. I would consider it.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Definitely a scam! Never give your name, flight number, and date to anyone, except close friends/relatives and airline representatives.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
It’s a scam. And there are those who basically do it to themselves posting photos of their boarding pass on Instagram - allowing for someone to get their full name, flight number, destination, PNR, ticket number, FF Number, in order to cancel their flight(s), and commandeer their account. It’s a cruel world out there, be careful!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by formeraa
Definitely a scam! Never give your name, flight number, and date to anyone, except close friends/relatives and airline representatives.
That's why I keep All of my boarding passes!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Address and birthdate can be easy to find online if someone has ever posted a resume or biography, which are sometimes posted by employers or third parties if there's a promotion or honor. Some people post directions to their home on line for the convenience of invited guests. If someone wants to search, they can find a lot of information, including clues to answer some of the security questions (pet's name, etc.).
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:36 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Address and birthdate can be easy to find online if someone has ever posted a resume or biography, which are sometimes posted by employers or third parties if there's a promotion or honor. Some people post directions to their home on line for the convenience of invited guests. If someone wants to search, they can find a lot of information, including clues to answer some of the security questions (pet's name, etc.).
Birth dates on a resume? Very odd. One can get directions to an address via MapQuest, Google Maps, etc. and with home ownership usually public record, hard to prevent someone from coming to your house. In this day and age, not much is secret. Sad!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:11 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
I don't think one can commandeer an account with that - just cancel a trip. At any rate, this response seems to me in the wrong thread.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Personally, I wouldn't pay for MCE, but I'm 5'7" and skinny. If you pack light and board early enough to put your stuff in the overhead bins, the space underneath your seat will provide more room to stretch out your legs than a bulkhead seat with no under-seat space.

I haven't flown in economy on the A333 so can't really speak to the laptop issue. Having been stuck in regular economy on the 737 and 319 (with 30-31 inches of pitch) I will say it was hard to work on a laptop with the seat in front reclined. I think the A333s have one or two more inches of pitch, however.

(By the by, I think a seat with a missing window on an overnight redeye is great. I recently discovered this.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.