Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

sAAver availability to LHR in June 2020 is nonexistent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

I am looking to get to LHR from STL next June in sAAver economy, but there is not one single seat on AA metal to LHR that I can find, and I really don't want to pay BA's insane fuel surcharges. There's plenty of availability coming back from LHR on various dates.

Is this a bug, or just the way it is? Usually economy sAAver availability is pretty good. And it looks like there's good availability through May 2020, but after June 1st, it all drops to zero. I've tried searching out of ORD and PHL, and nothing. Every single option is AA to a hub, then BA across the pond.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
This trip is 11 months away - not sure why you're panicking? Awfully early isn't it? Keep checking or set some EF alerts. Odds are something will open up.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by no1cub17
This trip is 11 months away - not sure why you're panicking? Awfully early isn't it? Keep checking or set some EF alerts. Odds are something will open up.

So does availability improve? I kind of figured that once the seats were opened up, that was it.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by t325
I am looking to get to LHR from STL next June in sAAver economy, but there is not one single seat on AA metal to LHR that I can find, and I really don't want to pay BA's insane fuel surcharges. There's plenty of availability coming back from LHR on various dates.

Is this a bug, or just the way it is? Usually economy sAAver availability is pretty good. And it looks like there's good availability through May 2020, but after June 1st, it all drops to zero. I've tried searching out of ORD and PHL, and nothing. Every single option is AA to a hub, then BA across the pond.
The second date I checked in June -- Tuesday, June 2 -- shows an all-AA-metal Economy SAAver award from STL to LHR.

AA does not always release all SAAver award availability at the earliest possible date.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by t325
So does availability improve? I kind of figured that once the seats were opened up, that was it.
Yes, award availability changes constantly. It can appear or disappear, depending on your luck. Set alerts or check frequently.
adunker likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Cubs versus Cardinals in London 13-14 June
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by sosafan
Cubs versus Cardinals in London 13-14 June
Didn't realize that! Someone in RM will likely know that and it will impact seats out of STL. Not sure if it would have as big an impact in ORD.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Many schools let out by June 1st and that starts the busy summer vacation season, where most families travel in economy. That may explain some of the lack of inventory.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Baseball game in the UK. Yeah that will be a sellout. It’s like having a cricket team come to the AA center. Crickets.

Lol
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Didn't realize that! Someone in RM will likely know that and it will impact seats out of STL. Not sure if it would have as big an impact in ORD.
As there is no STL-LON AA flight, I doubt RM is considering the impact, or lack thereof regarding people willing to fly to LON to catch a CARDS - CUBS game.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Keep checking. Also consider paying for the flight to an east coast hub and then book the mileage ticket from there (seeing availability from MIA on either AA or IB).
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by enviroian
Baseball game in the UK. Yeah that will be a sellout. It’s like having a cricket team come to the AA center. Crickets.

Lol
Really? There were two regular season games played this year in London between the Yankees and Red Sox. The average attendance for Yankees home games is 41k, for the Red Sox it’s 36k. Both London games had attendance >59k.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by mvoight
As there is no STL-LON AA flight, I doubt RM is considering the impact, or lack thereof regarding people willing to fly to LON to catch a CARDS - CUBS game.
I suspect RM considers city pairs with connections pretty regularly when setting fares and providing saver availability. I don't think RM limits its management to nonstops. STL can be rabid about baseball and considering it's a game against the Cubs in London ... I'd suspect we could fill up a couple of charter planes. RM will know that.

if I were the o p, I would definitely set up an alert on expertflyer but also consider looking at options from other cities.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Keep checking.

I started looking for this year’s vacation flights at exactly 11 months last year and found little on AA metal (and nothing with the 4 seats I needed). Then just over two weeks later a bunch of availability opened up. The flights we are taking 7/31/19 were ticketed 9/22/18 (probably put on hold 9/17) and include 4 DFW - LHR savers.

Just one data point but definitely keep checking a lot over the next couple weeks (or set an alert as suggested).

Last edited by dbuckho; Jul 22, 2019 at 7:52 pm
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian

Lol
Terrible analogy. In case you didn't know, cricket is played outdoors in stadiums similar to baseball/football. The AA center is an indoor arena built for basketball and hockey and thus would be wholly unsuitable for cricket.

And there was a cricket exhibition put on by some of the all time greats a few years ago. Drew huge crowds to Yankee and Dodger stadiums. So cricket does have a following in the US.

You seriously don't think the Cubs and Cardinals can't sell out two games in London? You must not be aware that both teams have a huge following with large, passionate fanbases. Maybe you weren't aware of this?
C17PSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.