FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Article on AA's Integrated Operations Center and Hub Control Ctr (July 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1979428-article-aas-integrated-operations-center-hub-control-ctr-july-2019-a.html)

lupine Jul 21, 2019 8:34 am

Article on AA's Integrated Operations Center and Hub Control Ctr (July 2019)

The director's desk looks to have 7 screens. I didn't realize that they had camera's on every American Dallas gate. It is the Daily Mail, but still some interesting tidbits.

The author is taken on a tour of the DFW Hub Control Center and Integrated Operations Center, the heart of AA operations and dispatch. He includes reports on his 77W and 772 Super Diamond experiences.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...l-Airport.html

enviroian Jul 21, 2019 8:51 am

Thanks for the link. Interesting article but even more interesting is the 77W and 772 trip report that follows.

I didn't realize the 772 seat is only 6' flat. I'm 6'1" and would have sworn when I flew this bird out of RDU last fall I could stretch all the way with head up all the way of course.

JDiver Jul 21, 2019 9:45 am

The thread about the DFW IOC opening with links to articles, dated 2015, is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ep-2015-a.html.

HofstraJet Jul 21, 2019 9:52 am

Thanks for the link (why the dig at the Daily Mail? I’m not up on UK newspapers).

I thought this was nice to have confirmed: “I was intrigued to learn that they colour-code the tweets according to criteria that include how many followers you have and what sort of air-mile status you have with the airline.”

And I really liked that he properly capitalized Champagne and called AA out on the crap they serve on boarding.

Dallas49er Jul 21, 2019 10:20 am

(Full power to the cynical-a tron) I wonder how the article (and trip reports) would read if he had been shipped over to the Colonies in a middle seat in Basic Economy, and had to deal with real weather and missed connections, and "faux mechanicals". Instead, he's in J, with a crew of FA's fully warned he was a VIP (almost CK-like).

Social media is important to AA. Love the color coding! Now I need a twitter account. NOT!

Sidebar-According to MrsDallas49er, who grew up in London and whose father was a correspondent for AP, the Mail is way below the Times or the Telegraph, and just a cut above the Sun, The National Enquirer (USA) and the Times of India.

Dallas49er Jul 21, 2019 2:30 pm

Gee whiz! I never would have suspected!

Ted was a guest of American Airlines. London Heathrow to Dallas return fares start from £740 in economy, £1,419 in premium economy and £1,613 in business class. Heathrow to Phoenix return fares start from £790 per person in economy, £1,479 in premium economy and £1,663 in business class.

Visit www.americanairlines.co.uk or www.aa.com for more information.

Rating: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/articles..._showbiz_4.gif

Rating key: one star – poor; two stars – ok; three stars – good; four stars – very good; five stars - exceptional.

Dallas info: www.visitdallas.com.

panjabi Jul 21, 2019 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dallas49er (Post 31326661)

<snip>

Sidebar-According to MrsDallas49er, who grew up in London and whose father was a correspondent for AP, the Mail is way below the Times or the Telegraph, and just a cut above the Sun, The National Enquirer (USA) and the Times of India.

Dear Dallas 49er,

Good summary by your wife (mother?) about the Daily Mail and its relationship vis-à-vis the Times and the Telegraph (and even the Independent). However, the comparison with the Times of India is off the mark. That newspaper, the Times of India, is one of India's oldest and fairly well respected. It is considered to be, politically, close to the current government in India (BJP), but is still considered an "establishment" newspaper (that phrase will make sense to people from the British Commonwealth), along with the Hindu, the Tribune and the Hindustan Times. The Indian Express is a little more "edgy"

Warm Regards,

Panjabi

Dallas49er Jul 21, 2019 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by panjabi (Post 31327450)
Dear Dallas 49er,

Good summary by your wife (mother?) about the Daily Mail and its relationship vis-à-vis the Times and the Telegraph (and even the Independent). However, the comparison with the Times of India is off the mark. That newspaper, the Times of India, is one of India's oldest and fairly well respected. It is considered to be, politically, close to the current government in India (BJP), but is still considered an "establishment" newspaper (that phrase will make sense to people from the British Commonwealth), along with the Hindu, the Tribune and the Hindustan Times. The Indian Express is a little more "edgy"

Warm Regards,

Panjabi

I stand corrected-by my wife (:) ) and by you. She said The Indian Express, I typed The Times of India.

jaytcsd Jul 21, 2019 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dallas49er (Post 31326661)
(Full power to the cynical-a tron) I wonder how the article (and trip reports) would read if he had been shipped over to the Colonies in a middle seat in Basic Economy, and had to deal with real weather and missed connections, and "faux mechanicals". Instead, he's in J, with a crew of FA's fully warned he was a VIP (almost CK-like).

I was wondering why a US based reporter couldn't have done the story, it was very obvious they wanted some free publicity, especially with half the story being about the trip there. These informative articles could be put on the rotating ads at the top of aa.com.
I scan the daily mail for useful info, it's buried in the Trump and royal family bashing stories.

panjabi Jul 22, 2019 5:17 am

Originally Posted by jaytcsd (Post 31328114)
I was wondering why a US based reporter couldn't have done the story, it was very obvious they wanted some free publicity, especially with half the story being about the trip there. These informative articles could be put on the rotating ads at the top of aa.com.
I scan the daily mail for useful info, it's buried in the Trump and royal family bashing stories.

Hi Jaytcsd,

The reason that this story is more likely to appear in the Daily Mail, rather than in a US based newspaper is three-fold:

1. The Daily Mail editorial policy allows "advert" news items (especially in their travel section), where various travel companies (like Etihad, Qatar etc) give a free ticket, hotel room, resort to the Daily Mail "reporter" in return for an article. The Daily Mail makes no explicit promises about the review, but after having read a few dozen of these reviews, I can say that they tend to be on the favorable side. In fairness to the Daily Mail, their reporters will point out various issues and flaws, much like this article, where they said that the AA business class was still not as good as Qatar

2. The Daily Mail focuses on the popular issues of the day (literally, THAT day), with no set niches or opinion. It also features a LOT of pictures with their news stories. This diversity in news stories allows them to attract a very diverse readership. So, one day you can have an article on the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landings, with 50 photographs, and on the same day you can have an article on why Duchess Meghan is having a row with Duchess Kate. The next day you see a thoughtful article on trade tensions in the world juxtaposed against an article that compares the hairstyles of the current President of the US with the upcoming Prime Minister of the UK. That is just how they roll. This is oddly a part of their charm. The Times of London, Telegraph and the Independent are all "high brow". The Sun (of UK) is "low brow". The Daily Mail is, "all over the place bro!"

3. The Daily Mail has no paywall and is in English. This, along with the other two points mentioned above, has made them (by some measurements), the largest English newspaper online

Warm Regards,

Panjabi

Gringa Jul 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Panjabi described the Daily Mail quite well. I always bought it when I worked in the Virgin Islands and vacationed in London and I would save them up and bring them back where they would be passed around among of a bunch of friends since there was not much of a newspaper there. It’s mostly junk food for the mind. Sort of like the N.Y. Post vs the N.Y. Times. The print version used to have very funny letters to the editor by highly irate readers.

I enjoyed his comparison between the 777-300 and the 772 since AA changed my return from LHR to a 772. It sounded like he might have slightly preferred the 772.

Rebob Jul 22, 2019 3:48 pm

I've toured the IOC and it is a nice side note to combine with a trip to the C.R. Smith Museum if you are in the area with time to kill.