Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Free WiFi to come for AA - details undetermined (discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Confirmed: American Airlines Prepared to Offer Free Inflight WiFi
by Gary Leff on July 20, 2019 - link

President Robert Isom told employees AA would rather charge for Internet, but competitive reasons (DL and UA offering free WiFi) could have offering free WiFi as well. As to bandwidth, speed, etc. or even segmented with free limited WiFi and fee-based high speed WiFi, “the consensus inside the company appears to be to wait to see what Delta does and copy their announcement.”
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:03 pm

Just doing enough to barely stay average must make for a terrible work environment. But executives don’t care so it won’t change.
JDiver and enviroian like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I welcome this but seriously what does AA management do other than watch Delta and decide to copy?

How about they copy Delta’s operation for once?

Remember when AA was the first US airline to offer WiFi?
Gringa, cmd320, JDiver and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Frankly if they would just standardize on one wifi system (specifically the fast one with SSID "aainflight" that works wheels-up to wheels-down) I'd be happy to keep paying for it. The three systems with balkanized logins is annoying as all get out.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
[left]I welcome this but seriously what does AA management do other than watch Delta and decide to copy?
The arline is stating that it wants to charge for the service but may have to offer it for free if its competitors do. That isn't just watching and deciding to copy - it is wanting not to copy but may have to
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Well that might make it not necessary to carry my AA monthly (GoGo) subscription anymore!

Safe Travels
luv2swim likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, WN, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HY, Global Entry
I wonder if this could be viewed as a form of price signaling.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
I would suggest a concept like some of the Hotels offer. Basic for Free and a charge for Enhanced Speeds.
ELITES would have access to the Enhanced Service as a Comp.

thoughts?

2019 cities: ATH, CLT, DCA, DFW, DSM, FLL, IAH, LAS, LHR, LIT, MIA, ORD, STL
GTITAN, JDiver and ORDbird like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just gets wrapped into fares eventually. Whether AA is first or third among the legacies won't matter the day after it offers the service as included in the ticket price ("free" is a misnomer).

Nobody jumps ship from DL because neither AA nor UA include meals in domestic Y and nobody will fly DL (or AA or UA) because they do offer it.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:33 am

About 6 months ago there was a rumor that AA was replacing their really slow Panasonic Wi-Fi service on their long haul fleet, maybe with Viasat or possibly Gogo 2Ku. Has anyone heard anything on this front?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Not sure if this was mentioned before, has anyone noticed the two separate WiFi symbols on flights? I assume to differentiate between gogo and viasat?

Last edited by FobbyFlyer; Aug 7, 2019 at 8:57 am Reason: type
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I hope the rumor is true. If so, that AA Aviator Credit Card is becoming more useless by the minute.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
I think this will be great. I don’t mind paying for good service like Viasat, but am often frustrated with GoGo internet. I pay for GoGo but wonder if the free use of Viasat for GoGo users will go away soon. If you pay for Viasat, can you use GoGo for free on Eagle flights that don’t have Viasat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.