Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

This guy’s feet were on our to be shared Admirals Club table

This guy’s feet were on our to be shared Admirals Club table

Old Jul 21, 19, 7:55 pm
  #76  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Posts: 354
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain View Post
No, the picture was not taken in the EU, GDPR would not apply. Even in the EU it would be a grey area as the picture was processed “in the course of a purely personal or household activity.” If this was in the EU, and the person was a celebrity, they might have a case. In fact I am surprised that GDPR has not be used more by celebrities against the paparazzi.

GDPR intentionally left this area grey so countries could adapt to their local standards. Germany and France have historically been much stricter . If you disagree feel free to post the relevant passages or memorandum that addresses data processing of foreign photographs taken in public spaces and how that get around Art. 85. I am genuinely interested. At the most this could be a take down request but I cannot see it resulting in a fine.
no fine unless the gdpr request to remove said image is ignored by flytertalk but even then a fine would require some leg work on the part of the individual. Agree though not a fine, but legit to request under gdpr law for removal of the image

dallas - gdpr Is an E.U. law governing privacy rights. General Data Protection Regulation
Nuhusky is offline  
Old Jul 21, 19, 9:29 pm
  #77  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,156
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post


You are working under the assumption of a singular “villain.” I understand the natural appeal of an assumption like that. Every good story has a protagonist and an antagonist. But this is real life, not a story. So I relax this assumption.

As for the circulating staff member, that treads close to mall cop territory which would ruin the ambiance. Boorish behavior is rare enough not to warrant systematic patrolling.
I would appreciate if this AA "mall cop" could stop people from letting their children run loose, to stop people from using audio device without headphones, and to stop people having noisy phone conversations, especially in the "no phone" or "quiet zone" areas
LINDEGR, cmd320, AANYC1981 and 3 others like this.
mvoight is offline  
Old Jul 21, 19, 11:08 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 74
"I see a parasite. A sexually depraved miscreant, who is seekingly only to gratify his basest and immediate urges ... but note the eyes, he's a creature barely hanging on to existence, like a cockroach clinging to a sewer grate ... He is a loathsome, offensive brute, yet I can't look away."
tbone14 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 19, 4:49 am
  #79  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BOS/UTH
Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Posts: 12,222
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
There is a HUGE legal difference between taking a picture for personal record, and using it to publicly shame someone on the Internet.
Perhaps in your view, but not legally.
Dr. HFH is offline  
Old Jul 22, 19, 5:32 am
  #80  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 254
Originally Posted by Nuhusky View Post
no fine unless the gdpr request to remove said image is ignored by flytertalk but even then a fine would require some leg work on the part of the individual. Agree though not a fine, but legit to request under gdpr law for removal of the image

dallas - gdpr Is an E.U. law governing privacy rights. General Data Protection Regulation
It would be a massive amount of leg work and would set precedent.
RoxyMountain is offline  
Old Jul 22, 19, 9:09 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Chicago
Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Posts: 249
Look - you need to either let it go or say something. A good way to communicate with someone (and prevent an altercation) is to tell them how you feel vs just critique what they are doing. I would say: "Hi, I don't mean to upset you but I feel uncomfortable with your feet there, would you mind moving them?" Sounds simple and dumb but it works.
AAdamE is offline  
Old Jul 22, 19, 12:10 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: AA CK EXP 2MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Posts: 263
Originally Posted by AAdamE View Post
Look - you need to either let it go or say something. A good way to communicate with someone (and prevent an altercation) is to tell them how you feel vs just critique what they are doing. I would say: "Hi, I don't mean to upset you but I feel uncomfortable with your feet there, would you mind moving them?" Sounds simple and dumb but it works.
I believe the OP did ask the offender to move his feet, which were placed on the larger table where his snack are sitting. He must have then assumed a side table was less offensive. I do agree with you, however all of this debate over pictures, lounge police, ect is crazy. A lot of people seem to lack basic manners, or lack/diregard of social norms. Is it too much to ask people use a bit of common sense and respect for others.....
JSSAUCE is online now  
Old Jul 22, 19, 12:44 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 4,206
I probably would have quietly asked an AC manager to speak to the guy. Next, I would have found another seat in another area.
QueenOfCoach is offline  
Old Jul 22, 19, 1:10 pm
  #84  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 15,017
I find the whole thread fascinating. An individual behaves like an oaf in a lounge and there are those discussing the legality and acceptability of taking a picture. This debate I will not enter as I’m unconcerned either way. What does concern me is that such conduct should occur in the first place. It concerns me also that it should be considered so remarkable that it ends up here. I have seen far worse, not so much in Lounges than on board. There I have had someone who also cut his toes in First Class. One of the bits flew through the air and landed in someone else’s Champagne. The passenger involved was less than amused and neither was I. I actually didn’t know this was taking place or I’d have put a stop to it. I’ve had people removing their trousers and underwear and sitting in their shirts. From where I stood, I couldn’t tell with the tray in the way. When I did find out, the excuse that I got was that he was « overheating down there ». I assured him that I had plenty of ice that would take care of that. (Now that would have been good photo material).

This is AA Forum so I dare not tell you about the day one of our Elite gentlemen awoke in the night and tripped off to the lav clad in a cardigan, a T-shirt and a thong. Suffice to say that legs on a table are such small issues. Slobs will always be slobs, but for my next Doctorate I shall investigate why flying seems to turn normal people into lunatics.
LINDEGR, Gerbs, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Jul 22, 19, 1:30 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Chicago
Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by JSSAUCE View Post
Is it too much to ask people use a bit of common sense and respect for others.....
No, it's not, but I think similar to how people lack common sense about where to put their feet they also lack common sense on how to communicate and tend to escalate things as a result.
LINDEGR and JSSAUCE like this.
AAdamE is offline  
Old Jul 22, 19, 1:41 pm
  #86  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Chicago
Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
I find the whole thread fascinating. An individual behaves like an oaf in a lounge and there are those discussing the legality and acceptability of taking a picture. This debate I will not enter as I’m unconcerned either way. What does concern me is that such conduct should occur in the first place. It concerns me also that it should be considered so remarkable that it ends up here. I have seen far worse, not so much in Lounges than on board. There I have had someone who also cut his toes in First Class. One of the bits flew through the air and landed in someone else’s Champagne. The passenger involved was less than amused and neither was I. I actually didn’t know this was taking place or I’d have put a stop to it. I’ve had people removing their trousers and underwear and sitting in their shirts. From where I stood, I couldn’t tell with the tray in the way. When I did find out, the excuse that I got was that he was « overheating down there ». I assured him that I had plenty of ice that would take care of that. (Now that would have been good photo material).

This is AA Forum so I dare not tell you about the day one of our Elite gentlemen awoke in the night and tripped off to the lav clad in a cardigan, a T-shirt and a thong. Suffice to say that legs on a table are such small issues. Slobs will always be slobs, but for my next Doctorate I shall investigate why flying seems to turn normal people into lunatics.
This thread is so fascinating. To your point so much is lost in nit picking over the details. Sounds like the real issue here is that the cost of the club keeps going up, which makes people entitled to put there feet on a table and for people to have such high expectations that seeing feet on a table can be interpreted as offensive. All drops in the bucket if the AC used those membership fees to pay for footrests and drinkable wine to calm offensive interpretations of human behavior.
AAdamE is offline  
Old Jul 22, 19, 1:43 pm
  #87  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW-In Plano & CDG-In the 11th
Programs: Airline Agnostic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Posts: 2,888
Originally Posted by AAdamE View Post
This thread is so fascinating. To your point so much is lost in nit picking over the details. Sounds like the real issue here is that the cost of the club keeps going up, which makes people entitled to put there feet on a table and for people to have such high expectations that seeing feet on a table can be interpreted as offensive. All drops in the bucket if the AC used those membership fees to pay for footrests and drinkable wine to calm offensive interpretations of human behavior.
All wine is drinkable. Not all wine is palatable.
Dallas49er is offline  
Old Jul 22, 19, 2:02 pm
  #88  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
I find the whole thread fascinating. An individual behaves like an oaf in a lounge and there are those discussing the legality and acceptability of taking a picture. This debate I will not enter as I’m unconcerned either way. What does concern me is that such conduct should occur in the first place. It concerns me also that it should be considered so remarkable that it ends up here. I have seen far worse, not so much in Lounges than on board. There I have had someone who also cut his toes in First Class. One of the bits flew through the air and landed in someone else’s Champagne. The passenger involved was less than amused and neither was I. I actually didn’t know this was taking place or I’d have put a stop to it. I’ve had people removing their trousers and underwear and sitting in their shirts. From where I stood, I couldn’t tell with the tray in the way. When I did find out, the excuse that I got was that he was « overheating down there ». I assured him that I had plenty of ice that would take care of that. (Now that would have been good photo material).

This is AA Forum so I dare not tell you about the day one of our Elite gentlemen awoke in the night and tripped off to the lav clad in a cardigan, a T-shirt and a thong. Suffice to say that legs on a table are such small issues. Slobs will always be slobs, but for my next Doctorate I shall investigate why flying seems to turn normal people into lunatics.
My own post-doctoral studies have revealed the tragedy of the commons remains what it has always been: A revelation of human behaviour. I have recently enjoyed employing the payback method of coping, providing the offensive trolls an immediate opportunity to experience their own behaviour foisted upon them. Quite fun, I must say, watching their reaction. I’m compiling a YouTube vlog channel of the vids. Going to be a joy!
Flight44 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 19, 6:50 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: STL/ORD/SAN
Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75K, accidental DL FO, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,050
Originally Posted by AA100k View Post
People need to realize that their seemingly anonymous public behavior can, in this day and age, become exposed and cause a whole lot of trouble personally and/or professionally. Last year, I was sitting in F next to my father’s heart surgeon on a flight out of SAN. The doctor didn’t recognize me and I was about to thank him for doing a wonderful job on my father’s bypass...
I don’t pretend to know much about privacy law but when you’re in a public area behaving badly, it would seem appropriate that you have no privacy protection.


Wholeheartedly agree... in 2019, anyone who could even remotely be considered a "professional" has to be very careful in public (probably the simplest test to determine who fits into this category in my mind is whether you have a profile with picture and degree/mini-resume on a publicly viewable corporate website).

The surgeon mentioned in the quoted post may have simply been having a rough day, may have been upset because he had a hard week at work, was heading somewhere on vacation and expected a PDB, etc., but, clearly, to everyone around him, he made himself seem like a complete jerk (and maybe he's a jerk all the time, who knows). But anyone who chooses to ignore the power of social media is really setting him/herself up to fail.

Originally Posted by boerne View Post
very typical behavior for cardiac surgeons, especially now that cardiologists are doing so many stents that their operative bypass business is very reduced and vascular surgeons are doing aortic stents, so aortic repairs are also very reduced.
This is kind of an odd post, but I guess it still made me smile.
metallo is offline  
Old Jul 22, 19, 8:19 pm
  #90  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CLT
Posts: 175
I have no problem with it. Anything that’s viral will die in 3 days anyhow. No damage done. Society has evolved & decided that posting such behavior is ok or no biggie. So adapt to everyone else or become extinct I guess...
joeyE is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread