Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

This guy’s feet were on our to be shared Admirals Club table

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This guy’s feet were on our to be shared Admirals Club table

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Would it have been more appropriate if he had doen it in Y?
I don't think he was putting emphasis on the class of service FWIW.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
With some very limited and specific exceptions (and this is not one of them), one has no expectation of privacy in a public place.
Originally Posted by lobo411
The Admiral's Club is not a public space, as the phrase is used in a legal context. A "public space" is a street, a sidewalk, a park, the beach, or any place owned by the public and open to literally anyone and anything.

The Admiral's Club is a private business open to the public. Private business owners have the right to regulate conduct on their property, and the Admiral's Club does so: "Any conduct that is deemed by American to be inappropriate, undignified, disruptive, abusive or violent is prohibited, and American reserves the right to remove any member or visitor for such conduct, or for failing to comply with membership terms and conditions."

Or you could go even further and say that the Admiral's Club is a private club open to members, which makes the expectation of privacy even stronger. I doubt that would fly, though.
Of course this is a complicated issue. Laws and regulations vary largely on which country you are in, and I suspect there are local rules that could potentially apply. AA has ACs in Argentina, Japan and France, and if the picture was taken in one of those, it would indeed be against regulations without consent, let alone publicizing it. Please see chart from the link below (I know this was in the US, so those laws apply, although is the AC a public space is debatable). Just thought it would be helpful for people to not assume the rules are the same everywhere.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Country_specific_consent_requirements
lobo411 and nancypants like this.

Last edited by teemuflyer; Jul 21, 2019 at 9:24 am
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by bse118
Terrible etiquette on his part, sure.

But while we we are on an etiquette kick: what's good etiquette have to say about clandestine picture-taking and public posting of people's faces?
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
Posting his picture is 100% unacceptable imo regardless of his behavior. You have completely invaded his privacy given you have his face displayed and may now be legally liable to defamation. Unlike the feet picture playing with IFV you can see his face vs feet guy

Look, how would you feel if someone posted your face online like this. What if his employer sees this?
Originally Posted by cmd320
It may be unacceptable to you, however it is completely legal. When you go into public anyone can photograph you whether you give them permission or not. If the individual in the photo did not want to be seen in this position, he should not have been in that position in the first place. Don't do something in public around other people that you don't want other people to see.
Originally Posted by davie355
Legality aside, if you think it's appropriate to post the kind of picture OP did, then you and I don't share the same values of interpersonal decency.
Originally Posted by HardToConcentrate
Taking a picture and posting it online, without the person’s consent, is far worse a transgression then this person putting their feet up.

I do not agree with them putting their feet up. It is poor manners. Though I think we’ve all had long travel days. Been a bit tired, and maybe got a little more comfortable then we should have.

I do not understand when it became “acceptable” to take photos of people and post them online, without their consent. It boggles my mind why anyone thinks this is ok. While it may be legal, it’s certainly not good manners to do so. Public shaming has gotten out of hand. It’s harmful.
Originally Posted by lobo411
The Admiral's Club is not a public space, as the phrase is used in a legal context. A "public space" is a street, a sidewalk, a park, the beach, or any place owned by the public and open to literally anyone and anything.

The Admiral's Club is a private business open to the public. Private business owners have the right to regulate conduct on their property, and the Admiral's Club does so: "Any conduct that is deemed by American to be inappropriate, undignified, disruptive, abusive or violent is prohibited, and American reserves the right to remove any member or visitor for such conduct, or for failing to comply with membership terms and conditions."

Or you could go even further and say that the Admiral's Club is a private club open to members, which makes the expectation of privacy even stronger. I doubt that would fly, though.
I wonder if the guy puts his feet on the furniture at home? He is exhibiting behavior that is rude, crude, ill mannered, selfish, DWKIA, offensive, unhealthy, etc,.

Yet some have missed THAT point, and choose to focus instead on something TOTALLY irrelevant to the act(s).

(Sarcasm)And I am shocked, shocked I say, that more of the PC police here aren't rising to the defense and condoning the behavior of this poor man. After all, its a free country. He can put his feet anywhere he darn well pleases. Maybe the AC should have a "Feet on the furniture/Toenail Clipping room" to prevent further Civil Rights violations(Sarcasm of)

Or, on the other hand, if one just goes about his/her business, than one need not worry about being castigated by the KGB or the PC Police here, for any reason.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
Nope. The pic was taken in a public space. It is not like he went into the guys house.
There is a HUGE legal difference between taking a picture for personal record, and using it to publicly shame someone on the Internet.
The title of the thread also seems inaccurate, as the picture is not of the guy's feet on a table to be shared, as it appears to be an end table.
The table with the food appear to be shared.
lobo411 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
I wonder if the guy puts his feet on the furniture at home? He is exhibiting behavior that is rude, crude, ill mannered, selfish, DWKIA, offensive, unhealthy, etc,.

Yet some have missed THAT point, and choose to focus instead on something TOTALLY irrelevant to the act(s).

(Sarcasm)And I am shocked, shocked I say, that more of the PC police here aren't rising to the defense and condoning the behavior of this poor man. After all, its a free country. He can put his feet anywhere he darn well pleases. Maybe the AC should have a "Feet on the furniture/Toenail Clipping room" to prevent further Civil Rights violations(Sarcasm of)

Or, on the other hand, if one just goes about his/her business, than one need not worry about being castigated by the KGB or the PC Police here, for any reason.
Huh?

Not a single one of the posts you quoted were defending feet-on-table guy.

However, one uncouth act doesn't justify another uncouth act....
GUWonder, nancypants and Nuhusky like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
People need to realize that their seemingly anonymous public behavior can, in this day and age, become exposed and cause a whole lot of trouble personally and/or professionally. Last year, I was sitting in F next to my father’s heart surgeon on a flight out of SAN. The doctor didn’t recognize me and I was about to thank him for doing a wonderful job on my father’s bypass when he started to drop F bombs about his PDB, treating the FA like she was an idiot. His behavior was so abusive that I almost felt compelled to video it. I lost all respect for that guy and I’m sure his practice will survive without any future business from any of my friends and family but I cringe every time I think that this guy still performs surgery.

I don’t pretend to know much about privacy law but when you’re in a public area behaving badly, it would seem appropriate that you have no privacy protection.
Gerbs, onanisland, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
This is what people have to complain about?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:09 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Never been a germ a phobia kind a person so the impact of his feet on the table and etc. not a big deal for me.

I wonder how many other places where we can't see nasty on the surface might scare people ( bathroom, handles/rails, kitchen, utensils etc. )

If he was actually placing this on my shared table here is what I'd have done " excuse me, may we share the table to eat some things, BTW are your shoes clean ?"
Does he know sitting like that with his umm healthy tummy not good for his back and legs carrying that extra baggage all the time

BTW agree with every other poster, there was no need to post his face, nor anything but his feet!!!!!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
This is what people have to complain about?
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Never been a germ a phobia kind a person so the impact of his feet on the table and etc. not a big deal for me.

I wonder how many other places where we can't see nasty on the surface might scare people ( bathroom, handles/rails, kitchen, utensils etc. )

If he was actually placing this on my shared table here is what I'd have done " excuse me, may we share the table to eat some things, BTW are your shoes clean ?"
Does he know sitting like that with his umm healthy tummy not good for his back and legs carrying that extra baggage all the time

BTW agree with every other poster, there was no need to post his face, nor anything but his feet!!!!!
Imagine this was not a table at an AC meant to be used for placing food plates and drinks on, but your Friday's at the airport of your choice. Here, if someone propped back in a corner booth and put their feet up on the table (with shoes, no shoes, does it matter at this point?), I would think most people would be shocked by the behavior and someone from the restaurant team would come over and tell them to "please put your feet down". I don't think there would be much sympathy for the person committing this act by anyone, even if they are a tired traveler. Why different at an AC?
GUWonder, chrisny2, Gerbs and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by bse118
Huh?

Not a single one of the posts you quoted were defending feet-on-table guy.

However, one uncouth act doesn't justify another uncouth act....
I see your point. We just have a different idea of "uncouth".
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Originally Posted by theshaun
Don't you know who he is?

Doug! Lol
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:21 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
At least he had his shoes ON.
Over 30 years ago I was riding from Paris to Munich on an overnight train (FC coach via my Eurailpass). Two migrant workers (who should have been in 2nd class) decided to ride in FC, when they took off there shoes the odor made the compartment uninhabitable.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Which is worse:

Shoes on
Shoes off.

or barefoot?
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Hands down barefoot is worse
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
There is a HUGE legal difference between taking a picture for personal record, and using it to publicly shame someone on the Internet.
If the picture is taken in a public space, like this one, there is zero "legal difference". There is no law against taking a picture of someone in a public space and posting it on the internet.

Last edited by RoxyMountain; Jul 21, 2019 at 12:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.