Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance issues / questions for AA redemption on Etihad / EY (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond ANA Diamond

I booked an Award Flights on Etihad Airways with AAdvantage Miles but the ticket shows 0 baggage!How much do I need to pay if I check in 40kg?How about lounge access?
Cannot select seat on Etihad website ?

Last edited by nycwaybe87; Jul 19, 2019 at 6:33 pm Reason: Cannot select seat on Etihad website
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nycwaybe87
I booked an Award Flights on Etihad Airways with AAdvantage Miles but the ticket shows 0 baggage!How much do I need to pay if I check in 40kg?How about lounge access?
You cannot select seats at the Etihad website - as long as the journey is ticketed you can do it over the phone with no issue or you could download the mobile application and use that

What is the routing and what is the class? Assuming this is purely an Etihad journey then the allowances will be as per https://m.etihad.com/en/information/...on/allowances/ , which is unlikely to be zero ; the excess baggage fees are listed at https://www.etihad.com/en/before-you...mation/excess/

If you are travelling in business or 1st class , then you will get lounge access
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by nycwaybe87
Hey I'm having the same issue. I've booked an Etihad flight through AAdvantage and there's no baggage allowance showing. What happened in the end for you?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by timo7
Hey I'm having the same issue. I've booked an Etihad flight through AAdvantage and there's no baggage allowance showing. What happened in the end for you?
I wouldn't worry - just check the EY site for the allowance for class of service and route that you are booked on and go with that
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I wouldn't worry - just check the EY site for the allowance for class of service and route that you are booked on and go with that
Yeah I've contacted AA and they told me the normal baggage allowance for EY applies. Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
OT but perhaps related: it doesn’t seem that EY info makes it to an AA reservation. I have an EY/QF award ticked booked with AAdvantage miles and I selected seats through the EY app. No seat info is shown on the AA site or AA app for the EY flights, but it does show for the QF flights. So the baggage allowance may be related to this lack of information sharing.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:24 am

I've actually dealt with this issue multiple times. Don't take it for granted that the check-in agent will allow you the online baggage allowance as the issuing airline needs to put that information on the ticket. So what I ended up doing is asking an AA rep to put a note in the reservation for the baggage allowance whereby the check-in agent would be able see it at the airport. Then I'd call Etihad to confirm that they see it too. If no notes are there, they have every right to charge you for the bags as it needs to be clearly indicated on the ticket and they don't assume anything in these instances.
seawolf and WanderingGent like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
You cannot select seats at the Etihad website - as long as the journey is ticketed you can do it over the phone with no issue or you could download the mobile application and use that
Not my experience, at least for AA awards in Y. Spoke to an EY agent and he confirmed that AA awards in Y are not eligible for advanced seat assignments and I'll have to wait until OLCI opens up.

Last edited by justforfun; Aug 9, 2019 at 1:44 am
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
Not true, at least for AA awards in Y. Spoke to an EY agent and he confirmed that AA awards in Y are not eligible for advanced seat assignments and I'll have to wait until OLCI opens up.
Have you tried selecting seats using the Etihad mobile application? EY may have restrictions on seat selection in economy given that economy seat selection is chargeable- I was just assuming business or 1st class travel

for business and 1st class - once ticketed, seats can be selected using the mobile application - the website manage booking , however, will not allow it
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by i_gtgo
So what I ended up doing is asking an AA rep to put a note in the reservation for the baggage allowance whereby the check-in agent would be able see it at the airport. Then I'd call Etihad to confirm that they see it too. If no notes are there, they have every right to charge you for the bags as it needs to be clearly indicated on the ticket and they don't assume anything in these instances.
I don't believe a non-alliance partner like Etihad can view special remarks that AA leaves in their system. Plus, just because AA is issuing the ticket, doesn't mean a special remark from another airline overrides the operating airline.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:18 am

If no notes are there, they have every right to charge you for the bags as it needs to be clearly indicated on the ticket and they don't assume anything in these instances.
Not at all true - for a purely EY itinerary , or one where EY's allowances apply, Etihad has a published baggage allowance policy at https://m.etihad.com/en/information/...on/allowances/ and this is what will be permitted

An AA agent can put any notes in that it likes - they have no relevance becuase AA does not have any authority to tell EY what its baggage allowance is

I seem to recall that the baggage allowance will be able to be seen in EY's manage booking ( but I may be getting mixed up)

The allowance is generally between 23-35Kg in economy, 40kg business, 50 kg 1st - with variation to a piece base for travel to/from US/CA where it is 2 pieces (23kg in economy / 32kg in business and 1st )
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:41 am
THR

for business and 1st class - once ticketed, seats can be selected using the mobile application - the website manage booking , however, will not allow it
Good to know - saved me a phone call. Changed from business to apartments and was able to select via the app but not online.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I don't believe a non-alliance partner like Etihad can view special remarks that AA leaves in their system. Plus, just because AA is issuing the ticket, doesn't mean a special remark from another airline overrides the operating airline.
Etihad can view it in their system. Especially the one they use at check-in. Anyway it's AA that issues the ticket so they need to publish EY's baggage policy which is usually automated. But instances where the system drops the ball, it's best to call in and have the note inserted.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 4:23 am

Etihad can view it in their system. Especially the one they use at check-in. Anyway it's AA that issues the ticket so they need to publish EY's baggage policy which is usually automated. But instances where the system drops the ball, it's best to call in and have the note inserted.
Etihad may be able to read notes, but it is irrelevent - AA does not get to dictate to EY what its baggage allowance is

The EY booking will have details of the allowance - if paranoid, can phone EY and ask what the allowance is
Often1 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:07 pm

I am in a similar situation, I booked an AA rewards booking on etihad and it shows 0 checked bag on the ticket. Can the previous person tell me what happened on your day of travel? Also when I call EY they tell me it was AA booking so ask them and if I call AA, they say the carrier is EY so call them! what madness!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.