Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and AS relationship becomes further reduced; awards end 3/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPGold 75K

Per multiple blogs the relationship is going to be further diluted, if any remains beside lounge access. Anyone else can comment?

American Expected to Further Gut its Partnership With Alaska Airlines
by Gary Leff on July 19, 2019 link

JonNYC
@xJonNYC
look for more degradation to the AA/AS partnership (such as it is) coming. Not surprising, I suppose, but will definitely affect those who currently earn, etc. I'd expect reciprocal lounge access to remain however, but all up in the air at this point.
7:04 AM - Jul 19, 2

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 19, 2019 at 11:18 pm Reason: Add source information, as required by FT Rules
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by felicidad76
Per multiple blogs the relationship is going to be further diluted, if any remains beside lounge access. Anyone else can comment?
Sources? Summary? What further has been lost that wasn’t lost as of 1 Jan 2018? (That occurred due to Alaska’s takeover of Virgin America.)

The only remaining parts of any AA - AS relationship are 1) some codeshares, 2) lounge access for Admirals Club members. Oh, using award miles! I just secured two MileSAAver First seats on AS SMF-KOA nonstop.

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)
obscure2k and aztimm like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 19, 2019 at 1:15 pm
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by felicidad76
I just used orphaned AS miles for an AA ticket, and AA gave me the option to upgrade with <stickers>
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Well i am alaska mvpg75k and i used aa a lot when flying internationally to earn bunch of miles. Now it is questionable will even this continue
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Glad I have a BA account to use - even if AS goes away (more) for crediting when I need to fly AA international.

It is a sad situation when I am a 3M EQM with AA and still have zero desire to gain anymore (dis)AAdvantage miles in my account.

Even SkyPeso’s are worth more at this point IMHO.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
Sources? Summary? What further has been lost that wasn’t lost as of 1 Jan 2018? (That occurred due to Alaska’s takeover of Virgin America.)

The only remaining parts of any AA - AS relationship are 1) some codeshares, 2) lounge access for Admirals Club members.

ENDED: AA Elite Status Benefits & Most AA Miles Earning on Alaska Airlines (AS)
You don’t count mileage redemptions AA miles for AS flights and vice versa?

JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

If you haven't reviewed the FlyerTalk rules lately, now would be a great time

We've had several issues with the following rule recently in the AA forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#externallinks

Linking to content on other websites

FlyerTalk is here for the purpose of sharing meaningful information. Don't simply post a link by itself to another source, such as an article or blog. (See also, Rule 9 €” Posting Copyrighted Material.) Posts containing such links should contain enough information so as to be contributive to FlyerTalk itself. You must include enough content for the FlyerTalk post to stand on its own without following the link. Do not post repeatedly in a manner that has the effect or purpose of driving traffic to a blog or website.If linking to your own blog, to a blog on behalf of someone, or to a blog of which you are a periodic or regular contributor, you must identify that fact in your post. You are required to add the following statement (in FlyerTalk's default font, size and color): 1) €œThis link is to an online source to which I contribute. € OR 2) €œThis link is to an online source in which I have a financial interest. Exceptions to this rule include:
  1. Linking to a travel program website page containing information relevant to the discussion (such as a ticketing rule or terms & conditions of a promotion being discussed in the thread);
  2. Linking to the websites of established news organizations or to company press releases with details of an ongoing news event (such as an airline or hotel incident). In such a case, merely providing the headline of the new item along with a link to it, without posting additional content, is allowable.
Posts that do not conform to these rules may be deleted and repetitive offenses may subject the poster to discipline.

As noted, if you simply post a link without further content, your post is in violation of the rules and is subject to deletion.

In addition to the link, you can copy/paste a portion of the text, and provide a bit of input as to what your intreperation is. The post must be able to be understood without a user following the link (with the exceptions listed above).

Thanks.

JDiver and SEA777GUY like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by beachfan

You don’t count mileage redemptions AA miles for AS flights and vice versa?

I forgot - just after claiming MileSAAver First seats SMF-KOA on AS next month.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Nice find!!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
I forgot - just after claiming MileSAAver First seats SMF-KOA on AS next month.
My AS mileage award for AA seats was less than the AA miles I would have had to pay for the same seats
Of course, I did have to pay the partner award fee - But, I am hoping for an upgrade, which I would not have been eligible for on an AA award.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mvoight
My AS mileage award for AA seats was less than the AA miles I would have had to pay for the same seats
Of course, I did have to pay the partner award fee - But, I am hoping for an upgrade, which I would not have been eligible for on an AA award.
And this may explain why it may all come to an end.

AS is picking up the tab and not getting much in return. It's all about ROI.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Often1

Seems highly unlikely this is coming from AS. The first set of degradation was due to government/AA wanting to degrade benefits. This would further limit AS options beyond the West Coast corridor, (they are also not planning on expanding and with the loss of DL and AA totally -speculation as of now- within the last 5 years, this would further put them into a regional carrier status). If AS really wasn't happy with redemption rates they would just change them as all airlines are doing. Seems AA is looking for ways to shore up their operations, beyond actually fixing their operations first and foremost.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

I think AS is getting a ton in return: AA is their primary partner to be able to offer global award redemptions for their members. The hole that AA fills in AS's award redemption network is enormous, whereas the hole that AS fills in AA's network is much smaller. But of course the cost to AA is pretty small as a fraction of their revenue. So it seems unlikely to me (without any knowledge) that AS would choose to cut off the remaining partnership. But I of course don't know any of the financial terms. And AS may value AA less as a partner given the paucity of actual availability; AA is in practice more useful for providing dots on maps all over the world than they are for providing useful awards that I would choose to put spend on my AS credit card to aspire to.
GUWonder and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Not a very good explanation, as it’s not material enough for it to matter to AA. And it’s increasingly less material for AS and AA as AA moves closer and closer to dynamic mileage pricing for award tickets on AA metal and making less space available at the low MileSAAver levels.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before the Virgin merger, AA and AS complemented each other better, with the AA partnership enabling/encouraging those not located at airports with significant AS service to redeem AS awards more easily, although this was somewhat limited by the one partner per award rule. Now AA can still play this role, but it's much less necessary for those at airports with significant legacy Virgin service, so the percentage of potential customers/FFers who would be impacted in a major way in terms of the network by the loss of AA awards has become much smaller. In other words, the AS FF program needs AA less now for award tickets. OTOH AS might not be very enthusiastic to have FF participants who mostly fly AA, credit to AS, and redeem AS miles, while those who do the same from other carriers are more likely to be dispersed across airlines and credit miles from multiple carriers to AS. I can envision AS wanting to reduce its partnership ties to AA.

OTOH, since the AA/US merger, AA has had less need of AS to enhance AA's network. Even with the new Virgin routes, this is probably still true on balance as the Vrigin routes were generally already covered by AA/US. So on balance, there's also less incentive for AA to continue a strong partnership with AS.
BWISkyGuy and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.